Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

New camera view ideas

The game uses a 3d engine, but it is feeling kinda flat right now. What about a view something like this?

newcamera.jpg

It feels less claustrophobic, however there is huge wasted space at the sides. Of course, this could just be one of many camera angles, and you can zoom into your area or the enemy's area.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

As you see, it lacks a graphical engine, but for me it worked really well since it allowed me to view the entire board, and on the bottom left panel you can also see the actions taken by both players. (Although none were performed at the time i took the screenshot. It was like...an "idle" table).

My area of expertise is web designing, so i know that, depending your skills, it may be easy or not to do something like this. But...it's an option.

Nevertheless, i like the new camera view idea better than the current one.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Not sure. Web based I would prefer the new view. On the iPhone though I think its too much wasted space on an already small screen.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I like the new view a lot. The old view did make me pretty claustrophobic. As for the wasted space, I have a suggestion: why not try the board off-center and put the player's hand onto the left-hand side of the screen, rather than below the field of play? That would make the total board size shorter, so you'd be able to see more of each card in play (and it won't leave you feeling like the opponent's hand is like the top line of text in the Star Wars intro), and it would use the whole screen more efficiently. And if you create an image of the opponent's hand in the upper-left side of the screen--preferrably in dovetail shape (with the correct number of cards in it so you don't lose the advantage of knowing how big or small the opponent's hand is)--I think it would go a long way to making the whole game screen look balanced, even despite the field of play being shifted to the right.
    Last edited by Loanhighknight; 08-04-2010 at 02:00 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I also immediately thought of the Star Wars intro heheh

I like that idea of re-arranging the cards. I was also thinking of doing away with the resource line, as when cards are sacrificed they can be converted into energy and show up as a mana bar beneath your hero or something. Although that would lessen the feel of playing a real card game...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I like doing away with the resource line. I think its a fair trade-off for more screen area on the iPhone. A small mana bar would be great in my opinion. Perhaps an animation every time you sacrifice a card that makes it clear where your resource is going so new players don't get confused as to what happened to the card.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I really think the camera should just split the field into half and half. You'll be able to see your entire half side in the regular view, click the button on the lower left and it'll pan up to your opponent's entire half. Makes it much easier. Then again I haven't played 1.03 yet and maybe it changed, who knows. I'll get on it later.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I like the idea of removing the resource bar, the play field feels to long and skinny to me, either a mana bar or just a pile of face down cards showing numbers on top of it to represent the mana or whatnot (pile idea would work better for latter on if you want to make cards that can turn a saced resource card back into a usable card) either way would work well though

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by kirothak View Post
    I like the idea of removing the resource bar, the play field feels to long and skinny to me, either a mana bar or just a pile of face down cards showing numbers on top of it to represent the mana or whatnot (pile idea would work better for latter on if you want to make cards that can turn a saced resource card back into a usable card) either way would work well though
    Now that's a cool idea! By using a pile concept, "recovering a resource" type card could easily be phrased as "recover the top card from your resource pile..." — pretty simple/clean way to implement that sort of thing.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    oh yeah, forgot to comment on the original post subject... removing the resource row would allow for this new perspective view to be really cool and very useful — anything that allows you to see the whole board at a glance is a good thing.