I hope this can be done!

This is a new format, so it's hard to be perfect on the first try
    Zoolgar - The Dragon Reborn
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by YouOnlyDieOnce View Post
    What about the economic problems of Meltdown? This was pointed out in the announcement thread, but at 200g per entry with only 100g going into the jackpot and the jackpot being split amongst participants based on win percentage, it is INCREDIBLY hard to turn a profit. Literally, EVERYONE will lose more than they buy in with. It's pretty straight forward math, I'm surprised no one else is talking about it.
    LOL. The entitlement mentality of people never ceases to amaze me. Are you familiar with the concept of a rake? Of course the EV is negative, that's by design. You are paying for the privilege of a competitive game where you have a chance to turn a profit, but the house always wins. As it should be.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by psychobabble View Post
    LOL. The entitlement mentality of people never ceases to amaze me. Are you familiar with the concept of a rake? Of course the EV is negative, that's by design. You are paying for the privilege of a competitive game where you have a chance to turn a profit, but the house always wins. As it should be.

I think you're misunderstanding. Literally NO ONE will be profitable unless someone wins something ridiculous like 60% of ALL TOTAL GAMES PLAYED. I'm on the train now, so I can't do the math on it but I will when I get home and write a new post. Mathematically, even the person winning the largest portion of the "jackpot" will come out in the negative every week. That's surely not how this is being marketed.

These are plenty of ways for Wulven to take a rake and still have he best meltdown players of the week profit. I'll break it all down this evening or tomorrow morning when I crunch the numbers. It has nothin to do with entitlement. I don't expect an average player to be profitable in meltdown, but in a format where even the BEST player of a week will still be in the hole except in extreme edge cases, there's a problem.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Where does the other 100g go?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by YouOnlyDieOnce View Post
    I think you're misunderstanding. Literally NO ONE will be profitable unless someone wins something ridiculous like 60% of ALL TOTAL GAMES PLAYED. I'm on the train now, so I can't do the math on it but I will when I get home and write a new post. Mathematically, even the person winning the largest portion of the "jackpot" will come out in the negative every week. That's surely not how this is being marketed.

These are plenty of ways for Wulven to take a rake and still have he best meltdown players of the week profit. I'll break it all down this evening or tomorrow morning when I crunch the numbers. It has nothin to do with entitlement. I don't expect an average player to be profitable in meltdown, but in a format where even the BEST player of a week will still be in the hole except in extreme edge cases, there's a problem.
    This is the big rub. Right now Meltdown jackpot is like a lottery where even the winner loses.
    IGN: E2E BallyWorld
    Common Hero: Victor, Serena, and Gwyn

Resident Sapper and Proud Member of E2E: Enlisted to Endure.

"For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found." Luke 15:24
    "This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus." Romans 3:22-24

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Vladrac View Post
    Where does the other 100g go?
    The abyss - it's a gold sink.
    Account for Gondorian to put SC into: Ronin Drizl

IGN: Ronin Drizl

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    This is a new format, so it's hard to be perfect on the first try
    It's a new format, but it's not a difficult format to design.

Quote Originally Posted by psychobabble View Post
    Wow, just...wow. Meltdown is hardly competitive at the moment due to the gold-stealing aspect, the random aspect and the low outcome aspect. At the moment there's no reason to actually play Meltdown, reflected by the games list: 1-2 Meltdown games being played.

If the OP's suggestions were presented before the launch of Meltdown and were ignored by the development team, then it seems clear that the format will continue the way it is.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Update: I've modified the opening post with EDIT #1. Again, all comments are very welcome, and a huge thanks for all the previous ones .

Quote Originally Posted by TitaniumWhite View Post
    If the OP's suggestions were presented before the launch of Meltdown and were ignored by the development team, then it seems clear that the format will continue the way it is.
    As far as I've understood, initially Wulven planned to actually have several "versions" (or "formats") of Meltdown. For example, here's what Gondorian has said about the subject:

Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    There will be two versions:

Quick Meltdown - you get 4 packs to make a deck, you build your deck and face a random opponent who also got 4 packs. At the end, you do not keep the cards. It is 100% free.

Tournament Meltdown - you buy 4 packs to enter with your SC, you build the deck, you play the tournament and you keep your cards (and prizes).
    A dated JIRA-entry SE-91 says:

"Draft multiplayer games will require a crystal fee for entry to purchase a number of booster decks. 30 cards are chosen, ignoring class and faction restrictions. The draft deck is saved and can be used again a set number of times."

I'd very much like to know whether Wulven is still intending to make those plans come true. If there will be some future version where the same Meltdown deck is used more than once, then they'll have to modify the Meltdown deckbuilding process anyway to support the saving functionality and in my opinion, while they're at it, they might as well improve the whole system.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    @Awer: Tournament Meltdown is coming.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Well didn't read most of the thread, in all honesty, but I just have to say that I am not a fan of the, If you want to play meltdown then you have to pay 200 gold thing. Just saying, it would be nice to not have to do that. Meltdown is very fun though.
    The bitterest truth is always better than the sweetest lie.
    If you are reading this, congratulations, you survived the end of the world.

In Game Name: PPUOD Pretty Pretty Unicorn Of Death

Member of Shadow Era Network, Shadow Era Community Hub,Join Today!