Close

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks for the comments all.

Quote Originally Posted by Wicktoria View Post
    I like it how cheap it is to build the deck.
    True, I hadn't realized it only had 3 rares (LLN, ST and SL). You can probably do well with Acid Jet instead of LLNs and Energy Discharge over Sever Ties.

Quote Originally Posted by tman507 View Post
    Seems pretty good. I built it (only had to buy 2 more Bad Wolves), and practiced against the AI (who I always practice against with a new deck even if they are easy to beat just to get a general feel for the deck). One thing I found was that is a bit of a difficulty, is that Here Be Monsters isn't as useful if you go first, cause your resources will always be greater than your opponent's unless you skip a sac, and by the time you are willing to do that (once you have plenty of resources), they have as many resources as they need anyway. Of course, you get a draw out of it regardless, but as for blowing up one of their resources, Here Be Monsters works best going second.
    You always want to use HBM early to delay the opponent getting to 5 resources. Also, in this deck, HBM is incredibly more powerful when going first.

If you can get a 2cc and 3cc ally down (preferably Wolf when going first, but it obviously depends on your opponent), chances are you can deal with almost any ally on your T4 by using your guys and your ability. Skip your sac phase and play HBM to put the other guy back on 2 resources and get even in terms of cards drawn: that means no Jeweler's Dream + Crippling Blow, no Lightning Strike, no Tainted Oracle, no double Arrows, no Ill Gotten Gains, no Tome of Knowldege + draw, no Wizent's Staff, no WotF, etc.

Next turn, your opponent has an empty board and will either play a meatshield (kill it for card/board/temp advantage), cripple/Retreat/Fireball one of your allies (that's one less for your buffed Bella/Plasma B), play a draw engine (you can deal a lot of damage), or even just pass the turn.

If you have another HBM, repeat the process and your opponent is in serious trouble. You can also sac to four, play an ally (Bella/Garg) then HBM again next turn to delay the board wipe/big weapon. This will also give you a reasonable hand size so you can deal with whatever big play your opponent has on 5 resources.

Check ETC FDL vs emigor (games 2 and 3) and ETC FDL vs TJ SalivanthX (game 1) for perfect illustrations of the power of an early HBM.

Late HBMs are okay if you're in the lead or the board is even (say play a 3cc ally and an HBM on 6 resources). You hamper your opponent's ability to pull big combos while applying some pressure and maintaining your hand but it's not as valuable as in the situations described above.
    Last edited by FDL; 10-13-2012 at 06:15 PM.
    FDL TV!

Channel | Thread | Twitter
    Deck Techs, Game Commentary, Replay Analysis and more!

FDL Tips: The Metagame, Balance and You || Empty Hands
    LL Decklists: Serena || Elementalis

Americas Regional (Winter 2012) Champion Monomax's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I played around 5 games with HBE and its pretty nice.

I have been toying with that kind of deck that make me feel like everything I drop is a treat and I like it.

I have to admit that sometime, I draw HBM when Im on a positive board and I have to choose between more ally or HBM. The choice of playing more ally is tempting.

I smashed some Serena.

The defeat I got was from a initial hand with 2 behemot 2 bella 1 leyline 1 severes 1 gargoyle when I was playing second:/
    IGN : ETC MonoMax

ETC = Empathizing The Cards

To feel the game...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Seems to be weak vs Human when going second.

If you cannot draw Brutalis by T2, which is very likely, you have little chance to win the board. And if your buffed IG is then retreated, HBM and Belladonna will not save you.
    IGN: TJ TyrX
    Trapmaster of Jars
    Move as swift as the Wind. Hide as silent as a Forest.
    Attack as fierce as Fire. Defend as steady as a Mountain.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyr Anasazi View Post
    Seems to be weak vs Human when going second.

If you cannot draw Brutalis by T2, which is very likely, you have little chance to win the board. And if your buffed IG is then retreated, HBM and Belladonna will not save you.
    Agreed, Humans are much tougher, especially going second, which is probably why Energy Discharge should be played. Their allies are squishy though...

I wouldn't argue with with you if you went 4/2 on the Brute/Carni split.

Quote Originally Posted by Monomax View Post
    I played around 5 games with HBE and its pretty nice.

I have been toying with that kind of deck that make me feel like everything I drop is a treat and I like it.

I have to admit that sometime, I draw HBM when Im on a positive board and I have to choose between more ally or HBM. The choice of playing more ally is tempting.
    Glad you like it.

The course of action in the situation you describe will be dictated by the position and abilities of your opponent.
    If you can bring his resources back down to 3 in order to prevent 5cc bombs and retain board control, HBM is very valuable.
    If your opponent can't board wipe but has a decent number of resources, swamping him in allies is probably your best bet.
    If he has the ability to clean the board and has a lot of resources, HBM can still be a decent play (especially if you destroy a resource, even if it's his 5th or 6th or 7th). Your board superiority will force the board wipe, so keeping allies in hand is important.
    Last edited by FDL; 10-14-2012 at 10:28 PM.
    FDL TV!

Channel | Thread | Twitter
    Deck Techs, Game Commentary, Replay Analysis and more!

FDL Tips: The Metagame, Balance and You || Empty Hands
    LL Decklists: Serena || Elementalis

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Soul reaper is nice too with all these allies and knowing this deck will rather make for long games if
    the opponent fights for the board.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Yep, I play with 2 soulreaper - helps vs burn mages.

Regarding allies, why not 8x 2cc allies (brut and flayer / carniboar) and 9x 3cc allies (garg, wolf, dmt)?

Not drawing a 2cc ally will screw you completely as Elementalias so I think the risk should be minimized.

I also play with 3x Sliver of Shadow for security. Going second vs human: t2 Brutalis, t3 (buff brut) + sliver will kill their jas or aldon.

If instead you go t2 Brutalis, t3 Garg then if you buffed your garg it will likely get retreated and you've lost.

With sliver - you also get another hit in on the ally they lay down on t4 (if any... if not, you regain the board with a garg or wolf).

Great deck FDL.

You helped me out with elementals a long time ago and I am forever grateful mate!!

Now I'm also returning to this guy who has a fond spot in my heart.

I never thought of using HBM - it's a nice suggestion.

Instead I use Bad Santa... but only when I really have to, around turn 7 or turn 8, and if I'm holding the board it shouldnt matter too much if I give my opponent cards when I'm fishing out an MC.

Oh... and I chose Chimera over Belladonna. Why be forced to buff her to 5 health, when Chimera is already 'buffed' to 5 health, plus he can use his ability to pump his dmg? Its more important to save buff for t5 plasma, imho...
    Last edited by FarqTheOrc; 10-19-2012 at 08:16 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TJ FarqTheOrc - killer of gnomes.

Who needs mulligans when you always draw a good hand?

--== Team Juggernauts ==--

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    nice deck, thanks for sharing.
    i'm currently testing a version with
    x2 Acid Jet and x1 Energy Discharge
    instead of ST and LLN to bring it down to 39 cards.
    Acid Jet adds much more flexibility, can be especially helpful against Zhanna
    which works quite well with all of the ally power.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    True, Acid Jet instead of LLN helps vs Zhanna or Amber but means auto-lose vs Gwen.
    TJ FarqTheOrc - killer of gnomes.

Who needs mulligans when you always draw a good hand?

--== Team Juggernauts ==--

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I don't know if Gwen could survive having to wait a few additional turns to get her bow out......but then again I haven't played that game either to verify
    EveryThing Changes

"The difference between the possible and the impossible lies within a persons determination" -- Tommy Lasorda

Check out my decks and others at Shadowera.net. Shadowera's #1 Super Fan Site!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Just saw this deck in action, I can only say one thing about it.
    Ow.
    The bitterest truth is always better than the sweetest lie.
    If you are reading this, congratulations, you survived the end of the world.

In Game Name: PPUOD Pretty Pretty Unicorn Of Death

Member of Shadow Era Network, Shadow Era Community Hub,Join Today!