Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Physical cards 2 on 2 team rules for shadow era

As many of you know, Sno-man and I along with a few others try to play with the physical cards every weekend in the Phoenix, AZ area. This is the game we recently came up with that is a lot of fun. If anyone is local or when visiting the area wants to play with us, just PM me.

PHYSICAL CARDS 2 ON 2 TEAM RULES FOR SHADOW ERA

1. Each team must choose 2 different heroes both from either Shadow Heroes or Human Heroes. Teammates can not have a Human and Shadow hero. You can play Shadow vs. Shadow, Human vs. Human, and Shadow vs. Human.
    2. Friendly allies are defined as allies combined on same team. (i.e. Aeon Stormcaller protects Allies on both sides.; If Earthen Protector is out on one team with Aeon on the other team and Aeon is killed, Aeon returns to the player who owns Aeon and Earthen Protector is killed.)
    3. Each unique card can only have one in play per team.
    4. Order of Play is Team 1 Player A, Team 2 Player A, Team 1 Player B, and Team 2 Player B.
    5. You sit next to your team mate and you may see his/her cards.
    6. Minimum 40 card deck, no more than 4 of the same card per deck, or 8 of the same card per team.
    7. VERY IMPORTANT: All cards must be read literally as it states on the card. (Pretend you are a Magic the Gathering Judge, i.e. Aldon the Brave does not give plus one to both teammates since it states your turn, whereas Moonstalker’s ability protects both teams Allies but not teammates hero)
    8. MOST IMPORTANT RULE TO FOLLOW OR GAME IS ONE SIDED AND BROKEN: EACH TEAM MAY ONLY HAVE ONE OF THE SAME WEAPON, ARMOR, AND ARTIFACT IN PLAY AT ANY ONE TIME. (i.e. YOU CAN NOT HAVE 2 KINGS OF PRIDE OR 2 BOOK OF CURSES OUT AT THE SAME TIME UNLESS IT IS OPPOSING TEAMS).
    9. All other normal Shadow Era rules apply including the person who goes first does not draw a card and does not receive Shadow Energy.

Good Luck to all who try it. Any questions or concerns post here or PM me.

@ Sno-man: If I missed anything please add it.
    Last edited by Kramer; 10-12-2012 at 08:50 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    My friends and I recently came up with a 2v2 variant as well; in the interests of comparison, here are the rules we used (spoiler: the first 3 are essentially rules you have, too):

1. You sit across from your partner and teams alternate turns. (Basically the same as your rule, except you can't look at your partner's hand; if you want to communicate, your opponents get to hear it.)

2. Uniqueness applies to a team (only one Aeon per team, for example).

3. Abilities that apply to friendly allies apply to your partner's as well.

And here's where things get different . . .

4. When targeting an enemy hero, you can only target the hero to your left. This is important because, otherwise, you could have two Mages (or any similar death-race strategy) focus on one hero and just blow him away. In our game, you can target any opposing allies you want (with abilities, hero attacks, ally attacks--whatever), and you can target the opposing hero's weapons/armors, but you can't target the hero itself unless he's sitting on your left.

5. When one player from a team is eliminated from the game, the other player takes turns in his place. Without this rule, when a member of team A dies, team B starts getting two turns in a row. When that happens, team A is pretty much doomed, and you're just going through the motions until their last member dies. (Meanwhile, the other guy just has to sit and watch everyone else play.) So, after A1 dies, the turn sequence in our version of 2v2 will be: B1, A2, B2, A2, B1, A2 . . .

So, that's how we played most of our games. But after finishing the last one, we decided that a few changes might be in order for next time:

6. Rule 3 needs to be eliminated. Things like Moonstalker and the King's Pride are ridiculous. We basically decided that abilities that affect friendly allies should only affect your own.

7. Of course, this makes things like Jericho, Zhanna, Retreat, and a number of other cards less useful, since you can't target your partner's allies. So, I'd like to try implementing this rule: You can still target a partner's allies, but your global effects (for lack of a better term) that affect all friendly allies do not apply to your partner's.

Aside from that, everything is just normal SE rules. Kill both opposing heroes and you win.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Clarification on Aldon:

If it's Player 1A's Aldon then his allies and those of his teammate get +1 attack on his turn. On his teammate's turn, there is no bonus from Aldon.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by GondorianDotCom View Post
    Clarification on Aldon:

If it's Player 1A's Aldon then his allies and those of his teammate get +1 attack on his turn. On his teammate's turn, there is no bonus from Aldon.
    Correct.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I like Alazzar's Rule #5, but I will say that once my teammate was eliminated, Zhana going once was able to take out Moonstalker and Majiya in one of the games we played without Zhana going twice, but I agree the rule should be added to the rules I posted.

As for Alazzar's Rule #4. I like the idea of not having this rule since it forces partners to protect each other or force opposing team to target one player as well. I assume you mean target hero only to your left. We played that a lightning strike could target 2 opposing players Allies.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Yeah, as I said in Rule #4, when targeting an opposing HERO, you can only target the one to the left. Allies are still fair game across the board; and you definitely DO end up protecting your partner a lot, because you attack the allies that you know would ultimately be taking him.

The "no targeting a hero unless he's on your left" rule just keeps players from focus-firing on a single guy and taking him down really quickly. (8 Fireballs in the face = no fun.)

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    The "no targeting a hero unless he's on your left" rule just keeps players from focus-firing on a single guy and taking him down really quickly. (8 Fireballs in the face = no fun.)
    That is what Spelleater Bands is for.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    You're right, we should definitely come up with a 2v2 format where you're required to play only a Hunter or Rogue. Brilliant!

(And the problem isn't just Mages with fireballs; it's any decks that can do a huge amount of damage quickly.)

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I find Lance and Zhana to be a great combination.