Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Why do we need updates at all?

This may or may not be a stupid question but...

Why do we need updates at all? If we are playing over a server, buying stuff that involves contacting a server, etc, why aren't all the cards stored on the server instead of in the app?

What I mean is, wouldn't it be easier to have everything on the server (ala MMO) and have the app/program be more of a client? If it's set up that way, Kyle can make tweaks, add new cards, etc, w/o having to waste time submitting updates. He just puts them on the server and boom, they are there when we connect.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I dont think this is possible for the iphone, since it has a slower processor and therefore needs to be able to have an optomised engine. If it was web based it would be slow as hell.
    Grand Watchman of the Ancient Blue Citadel
    Warriors of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn.

Don't just witness the greatness;
    Stride with us.

To join the demonstrably greatest guild in the history of Shadow Era - click here

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Art and so on will be local to the client.

Some of the functionality is also likely to be done client side and some changes will need a client update.

It's architectural, but with the mobile devices being the way they are, this is how it has to be particularly if they've already started down this path. You can see from the change that was made about arm/wep validation that some things can be done serverside of course (and was obviously done this way right now so it could be done immediately).
    Calmdown * Shadow Era Designer * Logan Stonebreaker & Brutal Minotaur Fan Club

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    The iPhone is locked down, so you can't just download any arbitrary executable code like you can with MMOs on the PC. This version does have a built in version check that will direct you to the appstore to download an update when available, so it's almost like the same thing...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I'm not saying entirely web-based. The only change would be the store, where the cards could be dynamic. Everything else would be the same. When you buy a card, that card info (if you didn't already have it) would then get downloaded onto the phone, just like magazine apps do when you buy a new issues. Everything else (AI, Deck management) would be unchanged.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    The iPhone is locked down, so you can't just download any arbitrary executable code like you can with MMOs on the PC.
    That's true. All I'm saying is if the store was modified (server and client) you might be able to get more dynamic functionality from it. No app lets you add new code at will, but if the cards are treated as content like mag apps, I see no reason why you couldn't take advantage of it. Your knowledge is greater than mine on this (I've only fiddled with iOS programming) but the core functionality seems to be there if you wanted to use it.
    Last edited by Rhadimus; 03-25-2011 at 02:34 PM. Reason: typo

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhadimus View Post
    I'm not saying entirely web-based. The only change would be the store, where the cards could be dynamic. Everything else would be the same. When you buy a card, that card info (if you didn't already have it) would then get downloaded onto the phone, just like magazine apps do when you buy a new issues. Everything else (AI, Deck management) would be unchanged.
    yeah, that would be amazing.

then server side cards could be modified.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Bugs fix still needs client app update. There are still tons of bugs around now. And there will be more.

Features need client update: PvP Timer, quitting penalty, offline mode, new GUI, help system, loading indicator, improved AI, support for old models....etc. There were tons of features added. And there will be more.

Maybe cards modification and addition is the least important thing for now.