Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Dimension Ripper's killing blow

I just had an interesting ending in a game between Alazzar and Fuhlonght, and it sparked a question.

We were both using Zaladar, and on my final turn, neither of us had any cards left in our decks. I was at 1 health. He was at 2. I played a Dimension Ripper.

I knew that, at the very least, I'd be killing him with the DR. However, I wasn't sure what the card-draw situation would be.

According to the game, things played out like this: my hero damaged his, and at the exact same time, the DR attempted to draw a card. And, since I had no deck left, the card-draw killed me. We had a draw.

I'm curious if this is how things are supposed to work. Is the Ripper's damage supposed to happen simultaneously with the card draw? Because part of me thinks it should be a step-by-step process. Step 1: Dimension Ripper deals its damage. Step 2: cards are drawn from each deck. Step 3: the opponent swings back with their weapon (if applicable). Etc.

But as it is currently, steps 1 and 2 happen simultaneously. Is that intended?

In a way, I feel like this is (sort of) similar to a Mage using Supernova against a Warrior who has Rampage: if I'm not mistaken, the Supernova will just kill the Warrior before the Warrior can get any healing from the Rampage. In THAT case, we do a step-by-step process: Nova does damage, THEN Rampage checks for dying allies (but at that point, it's too late for the Warrior and he's already died, if he had 5 or less health to begin with).

Although, I have to admit, the instance with the Ripper is slightly different--there, the steps are all contained to a single card, rather than involving a combination of cards.

ANYWAY. That was just a really long way of me asking whether or not the game's ruling should stand as it is. Thanks in advance for any answers!

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    On-damage effects happen before on-death effects, so the card draw from damage dealt by Dimension Ripper occurs before your opponent is pronounced dead.

But, there is no draw from your deck because you have no cards left, so you instead take 1 damage, leaving you both at 0 health and so the game will now pronounce you both dead once it has finished assigning damage.

Rampage has an on-death trigger, so once all Supernova damage has been dealt and the hero is about to die, then all allies and heroes due to die will die at the same time, so there is no way to heal back up after the ally has been killed.