Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Violet Thunderstorm + Ghostmaker (definition of "damage in combat" & "combat damage")

Here's one from an old thread of mine:

Violet Thunderstorm says: "When a hero or ally attacks your hero, that hero or ally takes 1 electrical damage."

Ghostmaker says: "When your hero damages another hero in combat while Ghostmaker is in play, the top ally from your graveyard is returned to play with 1 health."

(At least that's the wording on the 1.611 test server version at the time I'm writing this.)

Now let's assume that my hero would have both cards in play, and then he would be attacked by the opponent's hero. According to the wording, one could imagine that the following should happen:

-Both heroes enter combat.
    -The opposing hero attacks.
    -As a result, my Violet Thunderstorm triggers, causing 1 damage to the attacker.
    -My Ghostmaker triggers, because my hero has caused damage to another hero while they both are in combat and while Ghostmaker is in play.
    -My hero counterattacks, deals damage, and Ghostmaker triggers again.

However, I'm in doubt whether that's the right way to interpret the wordings, so what is and why? (And if it happens to be that the wordings have been updated, then where can the new wordings be viewed?)

As a secondary question, is the damage caused by Violet Thunderstorm considered "combat damage"? Is "combat damage" any damage that gets dealt during combat, regardless of the means (like damage from Molten Destroyer's "retaliation-ability")?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I'll have Mojumbo look into this and get you an answer.
    Last edited by Orange Hat Guy; 10-03-2012 at 03:05 PM.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    To answer the latter question:

Combat damage is limited to when one ally/hero attacks another or defends an attack. It's the damage done by the attack value of the ally or hero (with their weapon).

Other damage can happen within combat (eg. Molten Destroyer retaliation damage) but it's not combat damage. The online game correctly treats it this way.

I will defer answering the question about Ghostmaker and Violet Thunderstorm, so we can test the behavior as well as agreeing on what should happen.