Close

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Weird defeat

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Weird defeat

Hi,

I'm not sure this is a bug, but I suffered a very strange defeat just now. Check out my last game:
    Paullicar vs Shadaba
    I was very close to winning when all of a sudden the game ended in Defeat during the sacrifice phase of my opponent's turn. There were no connectivity issues.

Any thought on what might've happened? Thanks.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    You're still playing on v1.504? Wake up man, there's 1.603 out with Foil cards in booster pack.
    "Rastas don't believe in violence... Rastas don't believe... Rastas know." -Bob Marley-

Winner of the Multi-Post Streak Challenge
    *’”⁷ᵔᵕᵔ∞*°゜゚⁰ᵒ☉●•⋆.ᵢᵢᵢ₇.。・°'¨⋋ⓚⓔⓝⓣⓤⓔⓠⓤⓘ⋌¨'°・。.₇₇₇.⋆•●☉ᵒ⁰゜゚°*∞ᵔᵕᵔ⁷‘“*
    ⊰☠ ℑcℯ ℰℒℱ ☠⊱

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    This has happened to me twice in the last 24 hours and I am on the latest version. Long pause in opponents sacrifice phase and then defeat. Both times I was in a strong position. I have posted details in the sync issue thread. Very annoying and not plying another game until I see some acknowledgement of this.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuequi View Post
    You're still playing on v1.504? Wake up man, there's 1.603 out with Foil cards in booster pack.
    I did not know I was playing an outdated version: v1.504 is the latest in the Apple App store and the changelogs on the forum only seem to go up to v1.503 (?).

Incidentally, would that be the (or a likely) reason for the bug I encountered? Any thoughts about this?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    If you want to play v1.603 on Mac, ou can download it here: http://www.shadowera.com/download.php

And no, the bug is the same on v1.603, it's the old freeze bug which became random defeat for the two past version, basicaly it's because you lost the connection to the server, even with a good conection it happns sometimes don't ask me why,
    "Rastas don't believe in violence... Rastas don't believe... Rastas know." -Bob Marley-

Winner of the Multi-Post Streak Challenge
    *’”⁷ᵔᵕᵔ∞*°゜゚⁰ᵒ☉●•⋆.ᵢᵢᵢ₇.。・°'¨⋋ⓚⓔⓝⓣⓤⓔⓠⓤⓘ⋌¨'°・。.₇₇₇.⋆•●☉ᵒ⁰゜゚°*∞ᵔᵕᵔ⁷‘“*
    ⊰☠ ℑcℯ ℰℒℱ ☠⊱

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I suspect foul play

I have played for a couple of years on my iPad and have never had the same error until recently as described in the original post.

As it has happened on 3 occasions today, and on every occasion it is when the player is just about to be defeated, logic states foul play

It has never happened to me before

I made a new account for my son and it happened to him Twice within 2 hours, but only on the games he was about to win

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I've also never lost this way in a game I am losing on. I've lost 7 times in 2 days on the turn immediately before I am guaranteed to win... no way that's a coincidence.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    It just happened to me again, in a quick match against BDR42. Again, it happened just as I was going to win (opponent had 3 HP left, I had a fireball in hand). It might be a connection-related coincidence, but this is starting to look a bit suspicious.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    One interesting point...

The last two times it's happened to me, my rating has went up even though I saw the defeat screen and it looks like a defeat in my search history.

This actually makes me guess that it's an uncommon bug with how SE handles someone leaving the game, rather than an exploit. After all, the SE server appears to know that I won; it's just being recorded incorrectly.

People might just be quitting when people usually quit: when they realize they lost the game.

If you look in my search history, this applies to:
    Stray Dog Strut vs Fifil (my rating went up 3 points)
    Stray Dog Strut vs Rytsar Zakata (my rating went up 2 points)

For the devs... same symptoms as everyone else. Looonng wait during opponent's sacrifice step, then I got the Defeat splash screen. During the pause, I checked to verify that that my client was still responsive (by zooming in and out) and also that my internet was still up. I'm running the latest desktop version of the Windows 7 client.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    That's a good point. The first time it happened, there was no rating change (which can happen, of course), but the second time there indeed was a rating increase.

So it seems to be a bug that does not affect the rating adjustments, and it does not seem there is foul play. That does leave open the question if the bug affects other things, such as the gold and experience you receive after the match. I can't verify this either way at the moment, but I'll try to keep my eyes open in case it happens again.