Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Question Strategy vs. Moonstalker

I know there are a few obvious strategies you can take to combat a millstalker player; keeping your hand full, playing fewer cards and sacrificing less. My question is even if you are able to survive long enough, how are you able to do enough damage when there are so many ways to stall an entire turn (Shadow Font, Full Moon, Rain Delay, including the shadow energy they gain each turn), your allies are drained by Evil Ascendent or disabled by Captured
    Prey, and any damage you might be able to squeeze in is healed by Lone Wolf and Regeneration? Can you only hope that they don't draw the stall cards that they need? There must be some other strategies involved if wulven players typically have little success in tournament play, or am I wrong?

It may be relevant that my hero is Amber Rain.
    Last edited by qzwoiv; 08-27-2012 at 08:32 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    spam allies , smashing blow , jewelers dream
    My "best" homemade decks : Graveyard raiser (Gravebone) Wrath of Erika | Boris deck
    My card ideas
    Quote Originally Posted by GondorianDotCom View Post
    My badass skeleton mask is scaring off most people but it's gonna be difficult to eat through it, so there will be a brief period where my innocent face and bewildered expression shows I'm just a vulnerable tourist with a badass mask.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    The basic rules against millstalker are rather simple.

If you can't kill him in a rush play on time an try to mill him before he milled you. If you have no Shrine of Negatia in your Amber deck is there nearly nothing you can do to kill him but to play on time. Maybe you will be lucky and he can't hide for a singel round where you kill him.

So for the long game counts:

-never play a BF
    -never sac allies with cost of 3cc or more
    -never sac a armor, you might use the effect and need any singel HP
    -never sac Retreat (use it on Aeon if CP is played on him and or to play PotL more than one time )
    -keep some CB for SK loob, the more the better
    -save your SB for Crescendo and destroy it only in the last rounds before it would trigger
    -use Aeon and buff your allies behind his protection. Retreat him before he dies so he can't play CP or NYM on your buffed allies.
    -don't play as many allies as you can, they will just die to Evil Ascendent. Buff a few or one allie instead with Aeon. Some Kris + KP in the backhand are handy too

Hints:

-Full Moon dosen't prevent durability loss from Crescendo
    -he must play cards as long you have an Aeon and super buffed fatties on the board, you don't.
    A1's Cold Predator - A1: Evolution in Theory

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Amber does have a really hard time against a Millstalker if you don't play 3-4 Sandworms in you deck and even then you need to be extremely careful.

By hard time I mean you shouldn't win the game unless you tech against him or have Sandworms for whatever reason.

Millstalker is really hard to play tho so you can easily win against lesser skill level opponents even with Amber.

If you don't have Sandworms, cycle allies. Have enough damage on-board at a time to constantly force hides and stall cards but have as little allies at a time as possible.

I don't recommend playing Sandworms early because if they die to a Crescendo, your game can end there. The plan is to force Crescendo's out while using as little Sandworms as possible. If you manage to go through Crescendo's and CPs and have 2-3 Sandworms on-board when he cannot deal with them, game over.

Aeon buff is really annoying to deal with as MS. You can't really CP the Aeon because you fear Sandworms.

If you have only like 2 damaged allies on-board, don't bother to destroy a Crescendo. Let him kill some of your allies and then play more after.
    Last edited by Airact; 08-27-2012 at 12:17 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Is there a deck that can easily beat a Millstalker?

I can just imagine the horror of a Millstalker mirror match.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Balasador View Post
    Is there a deck that can easily beat a Millstalker?

I can just imagine the horror of a Millstalker mirror match.
    Majiya beats millstalker easy. Just include shrieks and gargs,wolves and then get an sk loop going.
    A1's Fiery Fastest Freak

A1: Evolution in Theory

Respect Existence
    Or
    Expect Resistance!

"I live in the weak and the wounded, Doc."-Simon

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Any mage who runs burns/shriek/Sever Ties beat Millstaler easily. Watch my games OriginalSkeletor vs nookie62 and vsPatooD2 to see how it a walk in a park to beat him. You can amso check my deck in the Mage strategy forum.
    "Rastas don't believe in violence... Rastas don't believe... Rastas know." -Bob Marley-

Winner of the Multi-Post Streak Challenge
    *’”⁷ᵔᵕᵔ∞*°゜゚⁰ᵒ☉●•⋆.ᵢᵢᵢ₇.。・°'¨⋋ⓚⓔⓝⓣⓤⓔⓠⓤⓘ⋌¨'°・。.₇₇₇.⋆•●☉ᵒ⁰゜゚°*∞ᵔᵕᵔ⁷‘“*
    ⊰☠ ℑcℯ ℰℒℱ ☠⊱

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuequi View Post
    Any mage who runs burns/shriek/Sever Ties beat Millstaler easily. Watch my games OriginalSkeletor vs nookie62 and vsPatooD2 to see how it a walk in a park to beat him. You can amso check my deck in the Mage strategy forum.
    Will do.