Close

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Research

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I think even with the the new ability, "2: Draw 1 card," it basically becomes a spacer in your deck that steals two resources because it doesn't do anything... except make you pay 2 to draw a more useful card.

In the spirit of the name, getting to make a choice and do a little "research" would make it a better card.

2: Draw 2 cards and discard one of them.

or

2: Draw 2 cards and discard 1 card.

The first gives you a more limited choice of two random cards, but at least it's a choice. The second gives you many more options as you can choose to keep the 2 you draw and discard something else from your hand.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think it would work just like MtG mana cards with "cycle" mechanic. You can use it as a resource, BUT if not needed, you can trade it (by paying 2 Resource Cost) in order to get a new card and possibly, being able to top-deck a more needed card.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think even with the the new ability, "2: Draw 1 card," it basically becomes a spacer in your deck that steals two resources because it doesn't do anything... except make you pay 2 to draw a more useful card.
    I guess it's meant to be an item, which ability can be used once each turn. Said that I'd say it's a bit to cheap. If you once make it to the part where usually both players are handdown, you have a massive card advantage which will be hard to overcome by the opponent.

About the original version:
    I like this kind of abilities, which improve card draw, that is a bit brought down by the rule, that you can't draw when your hand is already full.
    The problem is, it just doesn't do enough. Something like "You have no maximum hand size" or at least "handsize is increased by 3" would be appropriate together with more drawing-cards-effects and cards that work together with it like "deal x damage where x is the number of cards in your hand."

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    For v1.02 we will try it as "2: Draw a card"
    That's like a hero ability - somewhat overpowered for just a normal, non-attackable card. How about 3 rather than 2?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by -jFk- View Post
    I guess it's meant to be an item, which ability can be used once each turn. Said that I'd say it's a bit to cheap. If you once make it to the part where usually both players are handdown, you have a massive card advantage which will be hard to overcome by the opponent.
    Woops! Yeah, I missed that, I was a bit sleepy

Ouch, then I agree the card advantage gained by a 2 cost ONGOING card with "2: Draw a card" is pretty severe.

I think your suggestions on its revised abilities are more spot on, but add, "Draw 1 card when Research comes into play," so that it at least cycles like Verdolth said with a somewhat harmless ongoing effect.

My original suggestions were if it was a 1 time use Ability
    Last edited by kirkwb; 08-03-2010 at 03:39 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I love it as the 2: draw a card, but seems a little imbalanced seeing as thats the shadow mages ability. I agree with the ramping it up to 3.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I agree with Drexa, the initial cost to cast needs to be upped, but even then you need to be wary of degenerative deck building to take advantage of the still very cheap card drawing.

If I build a weenie rush/burn deck with all 1, 2 and 3 cost cards than being able to draw 2 cards a turn while casting 1 to 2 cards a turn will be very powerful. Even at 3 to cast it's a little scary.

You won't notice it as much in these pre-built decks, but it is still a factor. Right now I always play it turn 2 if I can, place place a resource every turn (it pays off because I know I'll draw many cards in the future), and start using it every turn from turn 4 or 5 on.

Drawing two cards a turn shouldn't be that cheap.

Maybe 4 cost to cast, or even 3 or 4 to activate, but there had better be removal available to destroy it.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    This card went from the worst card we've seen to one of the best. This card seems really strong to me, and may be teetering on the side of two powerful. Having more cards wins games, and me always having the option to get more at will gives me a huge edge. I also think that the shadow mage ability is really strong, but It could be balanced if all the hero's have equally powerful flips. Being able to clear the board at will is probably close to her flip in power so they may be balanced.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    @NPD: Not necessarily, since it also drains your hand pretty fast. Combine it with the opponent's hero that lets you draw 2 cards, and you've got a high-risk/high-reward combo.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by TiltMyTouch View Post
    @NPD: Not necessarily, since it also drains your hand pretty fast. Combine it with the opponent's hero that lets you draw 2 cards, and you've got a high-risk/high-reward combo.
    I'm not sure what you mean by it draining my hand fast. Please elaborate.