Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tutorial needed

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Tutorial needed

''So i was in a challenge game and noticed within the 2nd to 5th turns that my opponent must be a noobie player, turns out i was right
    judging by so many mistakes and wrong moves he made. i gave him some tips though and advised him to play the computer AI a little
    more to get use to the different cards and strategies before jumping into challenges. i got him down to 2 health very quickly while i still had around 20 something left, but i dragged the game out longer to let him practice using his cards and i let him beat me eventually.

I think shadow era could do with a small introduction video and tutorial for new players.''

This is from my post in the game section. i think a small basic intro and tutorial video would be a nice addition to help kick start new players in the right direction, the kind of tutorial MTG duels of the plainswalkers has if you are familiar with that game.

What you guys think ?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, it probably won't heart but tutorials usually teach very basics of the game and SE not all that complicated. If that newbie was able to play with you (maybe poorly) that means he learned basics. And tutorial seldom teach you actual card choices and things like that (maybe in very integrated fashion).
    Scrupulous Ash Collector of the Blue Phoenix.
    Warriors of the Blue Phoenix

Greatness, Reborn

Shadow Era Network - Shadow Era community hub.

Quote Originally Posted by BDK16 View Post
    You're the best Unruler!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Bhleg View Post
    No one know FS better than you, our King of FS.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    He was making very simple mistakes like casting extra sharp on a ally i had already cast mocking blow on. he will learn in his own time of corse, but as you said it wouldnt hurt for a simple step by step run down with tooltips of a basic match to clearly show whats up and how to go about using ones cards well.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by verlaine View Post
    He was making very simple mistakes like casting extra sharp on a ally i had already cast mocking blow on. he will learn in his own time of corse, but as you said it wouldnt hurt for a simple step by step run down with tooltips of a basic match to clearly show whats up and how to go about using ones cards well.
    I doubt that tutorial should explain things like you shouldn't use Extra Sharp on crippled ally (in fact, you shouldn't use it at all). Maybe only as an example...

Greatness, Reborn

You're the best Unruler!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    the best lessons are your own mistakes.

especially mistakes that happen to loose you a game will never be forgotten (at least for me)

some mistakes i had to do more often to learn how to avoid them.

but in the end... with all the cards and diff. matchups its all about experience that could in no way be compressed into a video.

its more learning by doing...

and by reading lots of post here in the forum...

and testing posted decks as well to learn their strenght and weaknesses...

but by searching here for answers you are on the right path

gl & hf
    A1 Icebear: A1's Glacial Claws of Fury

A1 Evolution in Theory

check out SE Toolbox, deck building & analyzing & probability calculations all in one tool:
    video
    download

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    It sounds like the kind of tutorial you're wanting would actually be worse than what it is now. The tutorial is supposed to teach you the rules of the game and how to play the basics. The rest is up to the player to decide and learn. Otherwise the experience starts to lose meaning and enjoyment. Figuring out that cards like Extra Sharp wont save you from Crippling blow is just part of the process. Each player will learn at a different pace and that is perfectly fine. I'm glad you want to help the newbies out with this kind of tutorial, but it could do more harm than good. Not that a better tutorial couldn't be set in place, but one that says X card is good and X card is bad isn't the way to do things.

I'm also glad you took the time out to teach the guy some things, I really respect that by the way.
    Was the Leader of Acolytes of A1

A1's Dimensional Eyes in the Sky
    A1 Alliance: Evolution in Theory
    PFG3 Leader

Was Shadow Era Community Manager

Sota, The Switch Axe Monster Hunter

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
    "Humans fight to secure peace as they envision it. The trouble is, everyone's vision is different." - Ringabel

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Demnchi View Post
    but one that says X card is good and X card is bad isn't the way to do things.
    It's a forum's prerogative.

Greatness, Reborn

You're the best Unruler!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Icebear View Post
    the best lessons are your own mistakes.

especially mistakes that happen to loose you a game will never be forgotten (at least for me)

some mistakes i had to do more often to learn how to avoid them.

but in the end... with all the cards and diff. matchups its all about experience that could in no way be compressed into a video.

its more learning by doing...

and by reading lots of post here in the forum...

and testing posted decks as well to learn their strenght and weaknesses...

but by searching here for answers you are on the right path

gl & hf
    Fair point dude

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Demnchi View Post
    It sounds like the kind of tutorial you're wanting would actually be worse than what it is now. The tutorial is supposed to teach you the rules of the game and how to play the basics. The rest is up to the player to decide and learn. Otherwise the experience starts to lose meaning and enjoyment. Figuring out that cards like Extra Sharp wont save you from Crippling blow is just part of the process. Each player will learn at a different pace and that is perfectly fine. I'm glad you want to help the newbies out with this kind of tutorial, but it could do more harm than good. Not that a better tutorial couldn't be set in place, but one that says X card is good and X card is bad isn't the way to do things.

I'm also glad you took the time out to teach the guy some things, I really respect that by the way.

There is rarely a ''BAD'' card in any CCG, but my idea was a very simple tutorial to teach them about the cards and mechanics and so forth. if you have time look up the MTG duels of the plainswalkers turotial. something along those lines i was getting at.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by verlaine View Post
    There is rarely a ''BAD'' card in any CCG, but my idea was a very simple tutorial to teach them about the cards and mechanics and so forth. if you have time look up the MTG duels of the plainswalkers turotial. something along those lines i was getting at.
    The question is whether that player would watch such a tutorial anyway. There are thousands upon thousands of replays available to watch and learn from already, and the basic tutorial you get when you first face the AI does the job for learning the rules.

All that said, if some individual or guild wants to put together a video series aimed at helping people play better, then I'd get behind that. Something like the Minecraft tutorials by paulsoaresjr, but for Shadow Era, would likely be very useful and hopefully entertaining.