Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Question [Amber] vs Lance: Must have cards

Hi, i'm new in the forum, and just get into shadow era again after playing a pretty unbalanced version about year and a half ago.

I have a very long Mtg competitve background so i'm pretty familiar with strategic concepts of tcg such as tempo, card adventage and such. But i'm really noob about the card pool and then the meta of the game. I've read those lovely Wtzky articles about heroes and the top 16 decks at the worlds just to get used to the meta.

Going straight to the topic: I played my first game vs Lance. I played a lot of games vs other heroes with an almost flawless record. I'm using a pretty similar deck to the top4 Ambers at worlds. But vs Lance i got raped. Badly. After the game i instantly go to some articles and realize that Lance seems to be Amber nemesis or something, lol.

So my question is, what are the best cards to build an Amber deck as resilant as posible vs Lance?

Please just answer if you're pretty sure what are you talking about!! ;D

Thx!!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    That is kind of a tough match up. The problem with lance is, that once he gets going, he really gets going. The problem with lance is, that if he doesn't get going, he really has no chance if ever catching up. So with Amber, I would build for a turn 1 birgitte, turn 2 puwen, turn 3 blood frenzy, turn 4 jewlers dream + ability + hit an ally + play a puwen. Turn 4 is crucial for both lance and Amber, so if you can clear the board then, he either has to drop Ill gotten gains with an empty board (which is mostly useless) or not play IGG for a few turns while he tries to use his ability to gain back the board, which he will eventually lose again without card draw anyway. So in short, change your play vs him, not necessarily your deck.
    Enlisted to Endure's "Bullet Stopper"

Human Hero

(1SE): Lose target tournament.

"This is so much fu.... Crap... I lost."

E-Mail______Twitter______YouTube

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Well, 4x Smashing Blow for his Anklebreaker.

4x Retreat! are also very handy to deal with hasted Jasmine, Raven and EP.

Last, Rusty Longsword. It is too cheap for his ST, but too much damage if he ignores it.
    Last edited by Tyr Anasazi; 08-03-2012 at 07:59 PM.
    IGN: TJ TyrX
    Trapmaster of Jars
    Move as swift as the Wind. Hide as silent as a Forest.
    Attack as fierce as Fire. Defend as steady as a Mountain.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Yeah basically, vs Lance, he has no healing, so just try to do your damage as quickly as possible. While retreat and assasination are also annoying, I also found that Aeon can help a great deal with keeping the pressure on, though, don't put all your hopes on him, and only drop him if you already have an ally or two on the board.
    iClipse - A1's Twilight Manipulator - A1 : Evolution in Theory
    Part of PFG

• My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too.

• Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

• With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.

• I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not sure.

• A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thx a lot for those quality replies ^^

Btw, thx a lot iClipse for the reply. Some people lose their humility after their archivements, so is amazing to see the champ still helping the newcomers

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Try valiant defender too, it protects your allies from most of lance's tricks except for assassination
    Wanderer of Worlds
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

IGN: BP NickOh
    IRC: [BP]nickoh

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by A-K View Post
    Thx a lot for those quality replies ^^

Btw, thx a lot iClipse for the reply. Some people lose their humility after their archivements, so is amazing to see the champ still helping the newcomers
    Just saw this now. No problem mate. If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a PM.
    iClipse - A1's Twilight Manipulator - A1 : Evolution in Theory
    Part of PFG

• My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too.

• Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

• With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.

• I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not sure.

• A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by nickhono View Post
    Try valiant defender too, it protects your allies from most of lance's tricks except for assassination
    This is the solution. Another approach is just to rush in the face. Especially when amber goes first, it's easier to rush lance to death (play an ally instead of blood frenzy on T3 when you go first.)
    Shadow Era, ETC

Evolve Through Cooperation