Close

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Wow a fun deck to play with!
    To win the game is to control the board one step at a time.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Great deck. Serena has been performing well since reset.

I would have thought Retreat is a good card to include. Retreat enemy ally into an empty hand and activate ability to remove said ally into graveyard.
    Guardian of the Riding Hoods
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

CLICK HERE FOR INFORMATION ON OUR GUILD

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Yeah, Retreat! does sound good. Cheap, effective, good for stall. It would probably work but I chose to milk IGG and card advantage as much as possible (I conceded the tempo battle long ago) and Assassination does that better (even though I probably play it once in every 3 or 4 games). I think the bottom line is that Anklebreaker and DoU are already good enough as ally control tools if I need to stall and Assassination is an homerun when i can pull it off with IGG in play.
    FDL TV!

Channel | Thread | Twitter
    Deck Techs, Game Commentary, Replay Analysis and more!

FDL Tips: The Metagame, Balance and You || Empty Hands
    LL Decklists: Serena || Elementalis

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Question About Resources

This looks like a fun deck, very similar to one that I been (slowly) trying to put together myself.

I do have a question, however, and it concerns resources. Specifically, how many resources do you need to make this deck really work? It seems like you could get away with a minimum of six in order to get Aeon Stormcaller and everything below. But I can see making a case for having twice that many resources, specifically for a Lily and Anklebreaker in the same turn.

Is there a sweet spot? Or at least a sweeter spot? I've been able to win with five resources in play, and have had a second or third card (beyond the one that I want to play next) in my hand in case I need it. I just worry that I might get too focused on trying to get resources early in the game, to the point that I sacrifice a card that I might need and could have played instead at a later time instead of sacrificing it (sorry, that made more sense in my head).

I realize that the answer to this depends heavily on the type of opponent you are facing, but again, is there a sweet spot, a 'right' number of resources?

grinner. . .

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I play a Serena Deck very similar to this with maybe 5 exceptions in cards. During my matches, once I get to 5 resources, I'm pretty much set. However, if I say, get another IGG ( Ill Gotten Gains ) and I already have one on the field, and I know that I have 1 or 2 more in my deck, then I'll sac it for an extra resource. Of course you know that Stop, Thief! gives you an extra resource, so those add up to the end-game amount as well. Usually, when a match is over, I have 8-10 resources from ST, and normal sacs of cards that I know I won't need.

So to me, I think 8 resources if the sweet spot. 5 for an Anklebreaker, and 3 for Aldon or Jasmine. Anything more than that is just a bonus. But in the end, it's going to vary depending on your board control. If you are fighting tooth and nail for it with a Mage, then that's when higher resources will come into play. I think my highest so far is 13.
    Last edited by Copastetic; 07-24-2012 at 05:51 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    You know, this sounds really stupid, but I never thought (or apparently paid attention) that Stop, Thief! resource gaining benefit was permanent. Now the card makes a lot more sense!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    when to use Serena's ability to discard and when to use it to kill off allies?
    Want to Join A1?

A1: Evolution in Theory. To stop evolving is to die.

It is one of my greatest hopes that in the future, mankind achieves enlightenment so high we would not need rules, laws, or government to keep the peace and govern ourselves. By our own motivation and volition, we would do what is right and just because it is right and just. This is the central tenet of anarchy. Not chaos and lawlessness, but free will and self-actualization.

Visit my blog: Potpourri

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    How does this deck deal with mages? Seems like it would have trouble.
    Could you throw in 1 or 2 spelleater bands?
    The best thing about Shadow Era is Jasmine Rosecult. #Datass

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Fou DeLile View Post
    Thanks guys.

Towels can be used for many things: a makeshift pillow, an umbrella, a crude weapon, a signal. One should never leave home without a towel. (Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy).

Amber is a though one for Serena but she's winnable. Black Garb uses usefulness because of early weapons and Crippling Blow will quickly nullify your early allies. As against most warriors, I try to play as many allies as possible. Lily is great here to counter Smashing Blow and put a diversion on the field. Neither Hero can counter the other's draw engine but both have good item destruction (it's almost a mirror). So, just like Eladwen, if you survive the early without too much damage, you're better endgame will put you on top.
    New Card inspired!

Name: ***Towel***
    Summon Cost: 6
    Type: Rogue item

0, a makeshift pillow: if hero doesn't attack or use ability by the end of turn, hero heals 3 hp.

1, an umbrella: all damage made to you hero becomes 0 until the start of your next turn.

2, a crude weapon: ***Towel*** becomes a weapon until the start of your next turn, with 2 ATT.

0, a signal: draw a card.

Rarity: Epic
    Flavor Text: "One should never leave home without a towel. -Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy."
    Last edited by rogue117; 07-25-2012 at 04:39 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinner View Post
    I realize that the answer to this depends heavily on the type of opponent you are facing, but again, is there a sweet spot, a 'right' number of resources?
    Cop summed it up pretty well. You'll get to 5 pretty fast to play your weapons and after that it's a slow ascension (key word slow) to 8-9 thanks to Stop Thief and less useful cards. On that note, don't be afraid to sac DoUs if you have an extra AB or Lily in hand, they make fine resource in most matchups. 8 is great to play a weapon and and ally, everyting else is a bonus.

The only matchup I sometimes rush to Aeon in is Banebow.

Re: ability

Your first priority is to clear the opposing board (especially if you have IGG online). I would say that my first two ability activations will almost always be targeted at allies. Against slower decks you might be able to sneak in an early discard (coupled with ST on the draw engine, this can put you in the driber's seat for good). Priority remains allies though (even those you can't kill in one blow like Raven or Plasma Behemoth).

Re: Mages

They will always give you close games but I would go as far as to say that Serena is favored. Especially against Eladwen, Majiya will be much closer thanks to Gargoyle, Portal, Fatties and draw ability). The keys here are 2cc allies, PotL and Black Garb. Depending on their opening, you must find the best ways to play your early cards. The goal is to survive the first 5-6 turns with more than 13 HP. If you can do that, you can become the agressor and strike at their Hp total while starving them of cards. Their usual pack of item destruction will also play in your favor. I might try to give you a more detailed explanetion in the coming days.

*grabs a Towel*
    FDL TV!

Channel | Thread | Twitter
    Deck Techs, Game Commentary, Replay Analysis and more!

FDL Tips: The Metagame, Balance and You || Empty Hands
    LL Decklists: Serena || Elementalis