Close

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

[1.5] Serena, the Bounty Hunter [2x Top 20]

This list got me in the Top 20 twice. I used it in 90% of my games to get 352 points in Season 4, and I used it exclusively this time around to get 348 points. It has also won me many tournament match, namely in Crown 11 and GDC's league.

I must give a shoutout to Japslongo who inspired this build with his 1.5 Test Server Serena. I refined my version on TS and during Season 4's ladder race, when I kept coming up against those rush Eladwens, notably busti's.

It's a very versatile deck. It can rush pretty well with the right hand, but it's mostly a control deck that builds up slowly before overwhelming and handcuffing the opposition. Be ready to face 2 Molten Destoyers with nothing but ill-gotten gains to your name and still pull out a victory... if your nerves can handle it.

Serena, the Bounty Hunter

x1 Serena

x4 Nightshade
    x2 Puwen
    x4 Priest of the Light
    x3 Aldon
    x3 Lily
    x3 Aeon

x3 Assassination
    x4 Stop! Thief
    x4 Ill Gotten Gains

x3 Black Garb
    x4 Anklebreaker
    x2 Dagger of Unmaking

There are many synergies in the deck, some more subtle than others. I can't list them all here, so if you want more details, ask away.

Crime Does Pay

As you have guessed, this deck revolves around IGG turning every action you take (and even some your opponent's) in card advantage. You want to kill things and get rewarded for it (hence the Bounty Hunter moniker ). That's why Aeon made it in over Armored Sandworm, and Assassination over Retreat!.

I'm kinda breaking the "6 draw cards" rule here with only Lily as backup but it works. The odds of drawing either IGG or a weapon by turn 5 are around 97%. With a single weapon, you can stall for 2 to 4 turns. With Lily you can double that. Similarly, you can setup IGG as a juicy target for Stop! Thief or Focused Prayer only to bring it back in your hand the following turn.

Know when to play IGG. If you can draw from it the turn you play it, it'll still be at least a 2-for-1 when they destroy it (and your weapons are now safer).

Lily is really a great utility ally here. She allows you to have multiple copies of your key cards in a given matchup. Spending the last durability on an Anklebreaker and immediatly overtly putting it back into your hand will create tension for your opponent and affect his plays which might allow you to sneak in allies.. It's not unusual to finish a game with a weapon on the field and a pair in your hand thanks to the 'other' Rosecult sister.

Stop Thief can also give you your 5th resources without spending a card. Target draw engines first, be wise against Amber.

Once IGG is online though, you'll draw so much, you'll be vulnerable to Santa Bombs!

The Gear

The other key component is obviously Anklebreaker. Apart from the usual 'soften allies for your guys to finish' tricks, you have access to FACEBREAKER mode (tm). A pumped Anklebreaker is a thing of beauty. You'll use it mostly to kill allies (especially when IGG is out) but if you get an opening, forcing a discard is pretty huge. You only need one semi-early Stop! Thief and a hit or two of Facebreaker to get your opponent to topdeck for the rest of the game.

Dagger of Unmaking and Black Garb are two interesting support items. DoU strays from the 'kill everything on sight' approach but combined with Nightshade, you can kill many targets with a pumped dagger. It's mostly a stalling tool though. Combined with Balck Garb, it allows you to perform one my favorite moves of the game: attack into a Garg/Sandworm and watch it die in retaliation (you might even get to draw a card ).

If you manage to get IGG, BG and a weapon out, you're in buisiness. The pwning business.

Henchmen

The allies are mostly meat shields in the early game, until you can setup IGG+AB. With the right hand though, you can make a pretty
    effective rush. Getting a 2 drop down is pretty important against anything but the slowest of decks, hence the emphasis. Fortunately, Nightshade is still pretty useful throughout game.

Late game, when you disable everything they put on the field, you can usually build a nice little force that will deal the
    finishing blow.

There you have it. This Serena can take on anyone (except it's one horrible matchup: Moonstalker). You will have to know each Heroes' tendencies and weaknesses though. You have all the tools, make sure you pick the right ones. It's hard to list a perfect start cause so many are viable. Early sac choices and plays are completely dependant on your opposition.

A perfect rush will be hard to beat unless you have the perfect anti-rush hand (NS+BG+(IGGvsMages)/(STvsAmber)+AB) [like all decks that don't carry much healing], but you should otherwise find anwsers for most situations.

NOTE: You will often fall behind before pulling your comeback so the most important tip is: DON'T PANIC!

You can check my CQV42's account history for some examples. All games were played with this exact list.

GLHF
    Last edited by FDL; 07-20-2012 at 08:54 PM.
    FDL TV!

Channel | Thread | Twitter
    Deck Techs, Game Commentary, Replay Analysis and more!

FDL Tips: The Metagame, Balance and You || Empty Hands
    LL Decklists: Serena || Elementalis

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks for the share. I run a version almost identical to this and it's probably one of my favorite decks.
    Harbinger of Noodles
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Great deck! Looks very similar to mine. Almost exactly card for card!
    IGN: TJ BlueJet24

Founder of Team Juggernauts

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Looks great.
    Last edited by Keaven; 07-21-2012 at 04:18 AM.
    Shallow Era Channel and Blog
    Enhancing The Community, etc.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks for the share!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Good write-up and deck.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Fou DeLile

NOTE: You will often fall behind before pulling your comeback so the most important tip is: DON'T PANIC AND CARRY A TOWEL!
    Fixed it for you Brilliant deck as always Fou!
    Extra Tough Claws - Proud Member of ETC

Articles | Decklist | Fan Fiction

Shadow Era Art Thread | PB @ DeviantArt

PFG Member | I've been interviewed!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    nice deck!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Preybird View Post
    Fixed it for you Brilliant deck as always Fou!
    What's the towel for?

Great deck! I'm playing around with Serena now. Got fed up with all the eld/amber running around.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by rogue117 View Post
    What's the towel for?

Great deck! I'm playing around with Serena now. Got fed up with all the eld/amber running around.
    Towels can be used for many things: a makeshift pillow, an umbrella, a crude weapon, a signal. One should never leave home without a towel. (Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy).

Amber is a though one for Serena but she's winnable. Black Garb uses usefulness because of early weapons and Crippling Blow will quickly nullify your early allies. As against most warriors, I try to play as many allies as possible. Lily is great here to counter Smashing Blow and put a diversion on the field. Neither Hero can counter the other's draw engine but both have good item destruction (it's almost a mirror). So, just like Eladwen, if you survive the early without too much damage, you're better endgame will put you on top.
    FDL TV!

Channel | Thread | Twitter
    Deck Techs, Game Commentary, Replay Analysis and more!

FDL Tips: The Metagame, Balance and You || Empty Hands
    LL Decklists: Serena || Elementalis