Close

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: too luck based

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

too luck based

Its really frusterating how much luck goes way over skill in se. I would say that despite how well my decks are made or how well i play during a game. I will lose just because my opponent got luckier than i did. Probably like 80% luck 20% skill. Just makes me not want to play any more when i lose like 4 in a row simply because i didnt draw the right cards at the right time. This is only really true playing people with upwards of 250 ratings. It seems that if both people know what they are doing, its just luck that determines who wins. I understand that se is earlu in development sort of. But its definately lacking much of a skill factor. Pretty much every game is: who gets board control first? Does opponwnt have a wipe or a wall? No? Player 1 wins. Makes me appreciate mtg that much more.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    In tournament play it really shows which player is the better one. Deck choices, card choices, play choices etc. require more skill than you think they do.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    MTG is definitely deeper. More cards and more viable ways to win. That being said, you have to know what heroes are capable of what.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Luck certainly plays a part in winning matches in Shadow Era, just like an other TCG, but the skill element is very significant.

The trouble is that there is an upper limit on skill right now, with so few cards and lots of time to get to know how each one works and the counters for them, so luck can sometimes be the deciding factor between equally matched players at high ratings. As more cards are added, it will become harder to reach the highest skill levels and then highly skilled players will have more of an edge.

Saying that, if you look at the very very top players, from their World Championship replays, you will see an extremely high level of skill being used and the luck factor drops off a lot. Playing best of 3 or best of 5 also helps reduce the luck factor there.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    card games that rely on drawing cards will always have an element of luck into them. it's part of life. if you want to eliminate luck, then you remove draw options. you construct a deck then bring that deck with the ability to pull out any card you want at any time so long as you can fulfill the conditions and resource requirement. but you'll quickly find out that without the random factor, things quickly get boring.

deck moves will be so formulaic, there would quickly rise one or two powerful decks that will stomp everyone else. you'll also soon find out you'll dislike a pure skill game when you find out there are so many more skillful players than you. and you find out it was luck all along that was giving you chance to win at least some games as opposed to always losing all the time.

a card game like that would quickly filter out the unskilled players and only the real skilled ones would remain. that would make SE unviable as a business. luck is what makes card games have larger player base.

that said, i still wait for a card game that eliminates all luck and depend purely on skill. i want a card game that would have a definite number of card pool and be as balanced as a chess game.
    Want to Join A1?

A1: Evolution in Theory. To stop evolving is to die.

It is one of my greatest hopes that in the future, mankind achieves enlightenment so high we would not need rules, laws, or government to keep the peace and govern ourselves. By our own motivation and volition, we would do what is right and just because it is right and just. This is the central tenet of anarchy. Not chaos and lawlessness, but free will and self-actualization.

Visit my blog: Potpourri

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Henry, I consider myself pretty good at this game...but some of the players you encounter in tournaments....or I have just watched playing live are amazing. Moves, you never even thought of, or card combo's you wished you though of all come out. So skill is a significant factor. But as jao states...it's a card game...it needs luck too, or chimps like me will never beat the iClipse's of this world.

Ps: I did beat iClipse in our one and only game in QM.....proud moment for me...boy was I lucky that day....doh!
    "I'll have you know I have the reflexes of a cat, and the speed of a mongoose"

LEGEND of TEAM JUGGERNAUTS

Recent accolades: season 5, finalist (top 8). UK streetfigher, Conquerors Bane runner-up.
    Immortalised as Flavour Winner for "Smoke Screen". Conceal, Confuse, and Obscure.

Link to irc: http://shadowera.gondorian.com/gamechat/

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Sometimes what you think is luck, is really good choices on their part. What sacrifices they made to hold on to a card, what armor they included to tech certain trouble heroes, and even not playing a T2 ally to keep momentum in the later game by having one more body to sacrifice all contribute to what you might call "luck."

This game is more than Player A vs Player B. With no "lands" to play, you really are playing a chess match with yourself on what you NEED NOW, what you need later, what you might need, and what you can sacrifice.

And remember, counters to going first are many. Retreat, crippling blow, clinging webs, stealth, DoU, lightning strike, first use of most abilities, etc. And you have more cards to choose from to sacrifice, which lets you stall your draw engine a whole turn later if you have to and gives you one more card to choose from while sacrificing.

All that said, is there an advantage to going first? Yes. Is priority attacking incredibly important? Yes. Can you win going second? Yes. In Magic, the ability to block and use instants brought depth to the game shadow era CAN NEVER MATCH. You have to get past that, or go play Magic.
    3.5 "Gravebella Beatdown" || KillTrend's Live Commentary
    A1 Elder
    Ingame Handles: A1 Killtrend

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Killtrend View Post
    Sometimes what you think is luck, is really good choices on their part. What sacrifices they made to hold on to a card, what armor they included to tech certain trouble heroes, and even not playing a T2 ally to keep momentum in the later game by having one more body to sacrifice all contribute to what you might call "luck."
    This. Over the years, I have always consistently seen that most players underestimate the contribution of skill to the game because it is very easy to believe you have made no mistakes when, in fact, you have. It's a huge mental obstacle for players to overcome, but it's an important one if you want to really break out and take your game to the next level.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaDucky View Post
    This. Over the years, I have always consistently seen that most players underestimate the contribution of skill to the game because it is very easy to believe you have made no mistakes when, in fact, you have. It's a huge mental obstacle for players to overcome, but it's an important one if you want to really break out and take your game to the next level.
    Mostly it's just that people think they are better than what they actually are.

The better you get, the more you realize how bad you are.
    Last edited by Airact; 07-19-2012 at 07:08 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaDucky View Post
    it is very easy to believe you have made no mistakes when, in fact, you have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Airact View Post
    Mostly it's just that people think they are better than what they actually are.
    Exactly.