d

u

s

i

l
    Oops never mind then.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I disagree that Bad Wolf is all that useless. Preferential but in my 40 card Majiya deck, I use Bad Wolf over Medusil. Below Infernal Gargoyle, Bad Wolf survives better than the other Shadow allies. Only marginally so but I wanted a 3-drop ally with good survivability and I already had 4 IG so BW took the slots.

BW is decent with Life Infusion as well. If you're looking for offensive, aside from Medusil, BW is the only Shadow 3-drop with 3 attack right now. Sure, Keldor can be pumped up to 4, but that may weigh against him.

Basically I stay on my stance previously:
    Quote Originally Posted by AnAdolt View Post
    I think he's fine as-is.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Funny that it was specifically Keldor and Deathbone mentioned as inferior to Bad Wolf.

Keldor or Deathbone can kill Jasmine in one swing. Or Aldon, or a Bad Wolf, or a Medusil... no other 3 drops in the game can do that.

You get the idea.

Bad Wolf very, very seldom gets to use his innate ability. In 90% of instances, he's just a 3/4 for 3 without any ability - which effectively makes him the worst 3 drop in the game, or at the very least, on the Shadow side of the house.
    Last edited by BlanketEffect; 07-09-2011 at 01:11 AM.
    -Doctor of Philosophy, A1 Alliance - Evolution in theory
    Original designer of the Serena Superdraw® archetype; connoisseur of all things un-meta

Santa Bomb ©2011, Lamb Slam & Feedbomb ©2012 - All rights reserved

Zaladar - ZTC 3.0: The Feedbomb Dynamo <-- An iconic deck in Shadow Era history - SE v1.5

Listen to past episodes of State of the Era: a dialogue on all things Shadow Era, brought to you by Alliance One

We are all one mind, capable of all imagined, and all conceivable.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    If all you think about is going first and/or having board advantage, you limit how consistent your deck is. Both Keldor and Deathbone will only do 2 damage when attacked. Except for Keldor, I guess, if you pump him before ending your turn.

I didn't use the full quote in my previous post but here's the full quote and my past and current opinion,
    Quote Originally Posted by AnAdolt View Post
    With how combat works in SE, Bad Wolf's healing ability isn't that great because he's usually either left alone or outright killed in turn. I think he's fine as-is.
    I don't see a great need to buff BW. There are plenty of other cards worth spending time rebalancing than this.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Well my main point is that it wouldnt be much effort to tweak him very slightly to see if it makes him more playable. Right now, when I think of competitive shadow decks that do very well and solidly in the current meta, none of them include Bad Wolf among their rosters. This is not a coincidence.

Bad Wolf is a tier 3 ally, in my opinion. If you would play him for ANY other reasons than A) you plan to combo him with Life Infusion or something to that effect or, B ) you just had to have a bazilion allies in your deck and he IS a 3 drop ally, afterall.

But really guys, beyond that, why in the f--k would you ever use him? What, to kill Puwen? Seriously?

Not the 2/4(~1) Gargoyle, who is a pain in the arse for our opponents to kill.
    Not the 3/4 Medusil that can turn any ally in the game into a prison bitch for 1 resource.
    Not the 2(4)/4 Keldor, who has the innate ability to singlehandedly kill any of all but the toughest allies in the game in a single swing, and brings Aeon to within a Fireball or Raven to a Poison Arrows.

Oh. And then there's this Bad Wolf, who is a 3/4 and whose ability is only seen utilized about 20% of the time he's played, and even then, its effect is seldom board-swinging.

I mean, seriously? I'm probably being an elitist or whatever, but I feel as though I'm just speaking observable and indisputable facts, and those facts lead me to the understanding that Bad Wolf is the least bang-for-your-buck 3 drop Shadow has, and maybe second worst in the game, only to Dirk (but Dirk is a different thread)

If anything I've stated above is inaccurate, and one who has experienced something different (with consistency) please do enlighten me, for I do strive in the fight against ignorance, my own included.

Thank you, and good night.

Edit: Okay, sorry about the seriously(s); I'm under the influence of that which will go undisclosed, and am apparently channeling a 14 year old girl. My apologies.
    Last edited by BlanketEffect; 07-09-2011 at 06:02 AM.
    Original designer of the Serena Superdraw® archetype; connoisseur of all things un-meta

Zaladar - ZTC 3.0: The Feedbomb Dynamo <-- An iconic deck in Shadow Era history - SE v1.5

Listen to past episodes of State of the Era: a dialogue on all things Shadow Era, brought to you by Alliance One

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by BlanketEffect View Post
    Funny that it was specifically Keldor and Deathbone mentioned as inferior to Bad Wolf.
    Bad Wolf very, very seldom gets to use his innate ability. In 90% of instances, he's just a 3/4 for 3 without any ability - which effectively makes him the worst 3 drop in the game, or at the very least, on the Shadow side of the house.
    Part if this might be because things like arrows and arc bursts are simply not casted on it unless they are part of the process of immediately killing it. Its ability might be slightly more useful then meets the eye.

As a side note when I said "I'm not sure that bad wolf is worse" I meant it was probably on par (well on par with keldor I simply don't like deathbone although it has its uses) and I mentioned those two because I viewed them as the offensive 3 drops for shadow and I retracted that statement because I forgot about medusil at the time I made it.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I will agree with you regarding the "invisible" benefits of Bad Wolf's ability; in that, he is often killed outright because opp's won't even try assaulting him unless the sum of the round's assaults are going to kill him. I had thought of at the time of posting; however, I still stand by the observation that his ability, compared to the other 3 drops' abilities, is weak. And, being a 3/4 versus the others being 2/4s (except Medusil who, ironically, at 3/4 is the weakest of the other 3 drops - compared to Keldor and Gargoyle) isn't a big enough advantage to include him.

Invisible benefit or not, I will almost ALWAYS get to use Medusil's ability. I will ALWAYS get the benefit from Gargoyle. I will often get to swing with Keldor for 4 damage, at my discretion. Bad Wolf's ability is just marginally good.

Make that "invisible" benefit visible by making him regen to full health at the beginning of your turn. Like you said, most players don't target it with anything unless they can kill it outright that turn anyway, so it won't impact things TOO much, but it's just that nice subtle buff that would push him up to includable status.
    Last edited by BlanketEffect; 07-10-2011 at 04:31 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by BlanketEffect View Post
    I will agree with you regarding the "invisible" benefits of Bad Wolf's ability; in that, he is often killed outright because opp's won't even try assaulting him unless the sum of the round's assaults are going to kill him. I had thought of at the time of posting; however, I still stand by the observation that his ability, compared to the other 3 drops' abilities, is weak. And, being a 3/4 versus the others being 2/4s (except Medusil who, ironically, at 3/4 is the weakest of the other 3 drops - compared to Keldor and Gargoyle) isn't a big enough advantage to include him.

Invisible benefit or not, I will almost ALWAYS get to use Medusil's ability. I will ALWAYS get the benefit from Gargoyle. I will often get to swing with Keldor for 4 damage, at my discretion. Bad Wolf's ability is just marginally good.

Make that "invisible" benefit visible by making him regen to full health at the beginning of your turn. Like you said, most players don't target it with anything unless they can kill it outright that turn anyway, so it won't impact things TOO much, but it's just that nice subtle buff that would push him up to includable status.
    Good points. As far as making the regen heal it to full every time bad wold plus life infusion might become a problem (only counters I could think of off hand are cards that would outright kill it (mc, assassinate, wave and discharge (I'm probably missing some)) Jericho and retreat) that seems to fail to include most shadow classes. Maybe heal 3 per turn instead.

Also I'm starting to think the problem is that shadow has way to many 3 drops compared to the other cc costs some are bound to not be as useful. Maybe a way of making bad wolf cost 2 would be better (although would take more effort).
    Last edited by qaz92zaq; 07-11-2011 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Forgot crippling blow and captured prey

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I know this thread is a tad old, but I just wanted to ask, if evil ascension and bad wolf is in play, what happens during the start of your next turn? Does the wolf take the dmg, then heal it, or does it check if there's any dmg taken to heal, then it takes the dmg from evil.