Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Red face My ultimate Gravebone deck~~~~

My ultimate Gravebone deck

Hi everyone.

When I got bored with Amber and Majiya, I read 2 GB article written by wreon
    “Monster Control” and “Brutal Is Control”
    http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....nster-Control)
    http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....al-Is-Control)
    Then I start to play GB. Currently it became my strongest hero and I feel GB is very very underplayed and underrated.

Gravebone’s biggest strength
    1: fully utilize fat ally with his ability.
    I think it’s the most obvious advantage of GB. Everyone who uses GB will know this.
    E.g. T5 drop a PB(or any other fatties), they are likely to get killed by opponent in next turn. Then T6 you can drop another PB then use ability to retrieve your dead fattie at the same turn. This will put big pressure to your opponent.

2: The only hero who can effectively use Ogloth.
    Ogloth is such a cool ally but it’s too slow / expensive for most decks and there are so many ways to remove/disable him. Only GB can make most use of Ogloth with 3 keys: ability, server ties and supernova.

3: One of the best heroes to regain board control.
    Supernova + ability = profit
    You can always use supernova to clear the board when you have 4SE and immediately get a fatties back
    Also supernova + Ogloth creates a cool bomb effect

4: He is a MAGE
    Access powerful mage only spells AKA fireball, lighting strike and supernova.
    This means although GB can effectively use ally, it does not completely rely on ally.
    4FB, 4LS, 4NOVA is more than enough to finish off your opponent.

Gravebone’s weakness:

1: Weak early game.
    His first SE cannot help you to gain board control.
    This is the biggest weakness of GB (probably why he is underused). Normally this happen when you play second (that’s about 50% games in long run )
    GB’s early game is weak. That’s why in deck-building you should always try to build a relatively stronger early game rather than add more fatties!

2: rely on supernova
    Games can be very hard if you have bad luck and cannot draw even 1 supernova in first 15cards
    When this happen + you play second + vs human rush deck = high lose rate

Ok here is the deck list

Brut *4
    Big Bad wolf *4
    DMT *4
    PB*3
    Ogloth *2

FB *4
    LS *4
    Nova *4

Tome of knowledge *4
    Sacrificial Lamb *2

Sever Ties *2
    SOV *2
    LLN *2

Pic is always better
    GraveBone.jpg

I want to mainly discuss some critical choices of this deck

Issue 1: Why do you use big bad wolf instead of Infernal Gargoyle ?!!
    This is probably the biggest question here and I believe this is also the essence of this deck.
    This game can basically break into 2 very different situations: you play first or you play second.
    When play first, bad wolf is always a better T3 drop than Gargoyle. It destroy priest of the light.
    In T4 you can follow up a DMT to kill 4hp ally without using any mage spell.(huge). Even your opponent cast Gargoyle you can use LS on T4 with Wolf to kill it.
    So what about you play second? Isn’t Gargoyle can actually survive? Bad wolf will get killed! OK this is the actual secret ingredient to make this deck strong: Let them kill your bad wolf!! As I mention before, GB has a weak early game. When you play second, your goal is simply do not lose too much HP. Don’t care too much about the board in first 4 turns. You can gain board control with supernova. When you use Gargoyle there is a big chance your opponent will ignore it or control it then smash your face. So in T5 you will already lose too much hp and after supernova you will lose even more 5 hp and enter the “danger zone” way early. On the other hand, Bad wolf is “easy” to kill and your opponent will most likely to kill it instead of attack you. (of course if they fail to do so, wolf has 3 attack to retaliate in next turn)

Let’s see a typical vs human opening. (assume it’s lance)
    Play first:
    T1: nothing
    OT1: nothing(or 1cc)
    T2: brut
    OT2: nothing or puwen/NS
    T3: Wolf
    OT3: (can’t play priest of light!) Jasmine
    T4: DMT + Wolf to kill Jasmine
    OT4: hmm in bad situation ! if he cast IGG, he will lose a lot of hp in next turn. If he use ability then can use puwen+ally to kill bad wolf.
    T5: cast any mage spell to kill his 3cc and use ability to get wolf back, use DMT+brut to kill puwen. Now you will have 3 allies and your opponent have none.
    OT5: in an even worse situation! Probably cast AB (hey wolf is the anti AB ally)

What if it’s Eladwen?
    OT4: ability take down bad wolf. Cast FS/FB to kill DMT as well.
    T5: basically anything and use ability to get wolf back, still in lead.

NOW what if you play second?!
    OT1: nothing or 1cc
    T1: nothing
    OT2: nothing or puwen
    T2: nothing or brut
    OT3: Jasmine or priest of the light
    T3: wolf
    OT4: Aldon and kill wolf
    T4: FB or DMT to buy time
    OT5: anything,. IGG, AB, another ally. And kill DMT also deal some damage to you (or kill brut as well)
    T5: supernova and get wolf back
    Here you successfully survived in early game without losing too much hp. If you use Gargoyle sometimes your opponent will ignore it and in T4 directly attack you.

Issue2: Use Ogloth or not?
    My answer is: why not? Ogloth is very stylish and strong with GB. Sever ties, supernova and SL also combo Ogloth very well.

Issue3: 5cc ally choice
    Basically MD or PB or BM?
    I used to like MD but in current meta, there are increasing number of ZA. 4damage is actually a bad thing, MC really hurts! Also you will use supernova and MD will do 1 damage to yourself.
    BM: not good when you nova BM hurts you more. Plus I don’t have portal to use BM effectively.

I think other card are very standard.

In the end, there are some cards are really good but I did not include them.
    DOU and Freezing Grip / Clinging Webs.
    I really like Freezing, It’s the card to deal with annoying sandworm. Unfortunately I am unable to fit it in. Don’t really want to pass 42cards atm. I might try +1 SL +2 Freezing to make it 45 but probably it will affect my 3cc draw rate… I don’t know yet.

That’s about it! Just keep in mind: deck building is roughly only 40%. Game play is 20%, Sac choice is 30%(hardest part to master!), luck is 10%
    Last edited by stevevai1983; 06-30-2012 at 01:42 PM.
    KA M Stevevai

IGN:
    KA M Stevevai
    KA Keroro

My articles:
    V1.5 Amber deck
    V1.5 Majiya deck
    V1.5 Gravebone deck

KA is a top chinese guild join our QQ group 134628232 if you are chinese or you can read chinese !

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Awesome thread! i like Gravebone, but i never found a useful way to play it, this deck seems pretty strong, and i surely give him a try!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Ha Ha! I tried the deck in a sense(didn't have some of the cards so ended up using some gargoyles and an extra Behemoth), the guy couldn't keep anything on the board. He also decided it was a good idea to use Bazaar(which gave me easy resources). Everytime he put on 3 or more allies...BOOM! Supernova. Got Ogloth on turn six and man was his attack and hp high by the end of the game. Btw, I went second. Fun Times.
    Master of karate and friendship for everyone

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Also i believe my resource was still at 6 by the end of the game. I am one who does believe abilities can sometime be overpowering since they normally can't be blocked, but been looking for a great ability build because the majority of people I play use them religiously(making it hard to use my Boris or Wulven Decks).
    Master of karate and friendship for everyone

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Been playing this Gravebone deck for the past few days and i've had some wicked battles.
    opponent= 4 strong allies.
    Me= 2 allies & glutton...
    opponent wastes his turn killing glutton only for me to resurrect him then BOOYAH supernova.. glutton goes to town. ;D

Anyway, fun deck! I still need to swap out my 2 Bloodlusts for Ley Line. I found bloodlust to come in handy if I got a PB & BBW on board and they can't finish em off their turn... but ley line would help block Voice of Winter and such...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Medusil vs bad wolf

What about the choice between medusil and bad wolf?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    In my build, I use 3 ToK and 3 SLamb, as an extra Tok drawn is a dead draw, and I always want the lowest percentage of dead draws in my deck. I agree with BBW, his higher damage output is better in GB decks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ofdevoid View Post
    What about the choice between medusil and bad wolf?
    Medusil has some uses, but not as important as BBW self-healing. BBW can be used to chip away weak weapons, just like IG, and, PB burn ability is already there to help you.
    Proud Member of ASF! A Schemeful Fact indeed.
    (sorry if that sounds ridiculous, I'm still trying )

Having dinners at 4am.
    A lot of girlfriends with no official girlfriend.
    A certain addiction for cats, fire, conspiracies, animes and cigarettes.
    Yep, that's me in an instant.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    People do always go after bad wolf... Seems like very high threat :-) Thank you for sharing this deck, been having fun for hours.

Worst case - can always go out in style lol... With Supernova :-)

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Heya, nice deck!!

Why not keldor instead of bad wolf

Going first, he can kill a human 3cc drop without wasting a spell... Bad wolf requires dmt to also be in hand.

Edit: i tried bad wolf and he is superb vs lance, chipping away at AB.
    Last edited by FarqTheOrc; 11-04-2012 at 12:27 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TJ FarqTheOrc - killer of gnomes.

Who needs mulligans when you always draw a good hand?

--== Team Juggernauts ==--

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    And whilst we have a goos gb discussion going, can i ask:

- why not flayer as the 2cc ally? Most early game / rush problems are v human and flayer stops that cold. He can be sacced vs shadow... Use tome... Brut isnt so useful vs maj and gargs anyway...

- did anyone try shadow font with gb? Edit: lightning or tome + draw a card is usually better on t4. Or portal.

My gb deck is portal / rush, without tome. But i like yours alot also, thx for posting, now my alt is shooting up in rank too
    Last edited by FarqTheOrc; 11-04-2012 at 12:28 PM.
    TJ FarqTheOrc - killer of gnomes.

Who needs mulligans when you always draw a good hand?

--== Team Juggernauts ==--