Close

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I guess I'll have a crack at this Fan Fiction lark.

Exactly what the title suggests. Seeing as I don't have any more articles in me currently, and I feel like writing, I figured I'd have a go at this. Anyway, guess which card I'm referring to in this story. Shouldn't be too hard.

---------------------------

The Dreaming

Pravus looked around at the city in ruins. They had come so quickly, the shadows. Under the cover of that unnatural red storm that still swirled overhead they struck, killing all in their way. Monsters born of a nightmare.

Just beyond one of the burning rooftops Pravus could see the top half of one of the largest creatures, a behemoth firing beams of pure energy from its fingertips, incinerating anything that lay in the beams path. It stood taller than most trees, and its flaming face leered like a grinning skull, lifeless yet malevolent. In the distance Pravus could hear the sounds of cackling Gargoyles as they went from house to house, tearing apart the occupants with unmatched enthusiasm. The city defenders had fallen quickly to waves of those Gargoyles, their arrows and blades unable to penetrate the rock hard hide of the monsters.

A growl caused Pravus to spin around on the spot. In the shadows a pair of glowing eyes leered at him. He started to run again, but it was too late, the Wulven was too fast. As the claws dug deep into his flesh he screamed in agony….

And woke up.

Shaking, Pravus looked out the window of his tenements. He had been having the same dream for weeks now. What could it mean? All he knew what that the dream had started once he had fallen ill with the same affliction that had been affecting dozens of people around the city. The flesh-change, people were calling it. It seemed that no medicine, no salves, no magic could halt the change. Even the greatest healers of the land were unable to stop the progression of the illness, so those infected were herded into camps to await their death. Pravus was still in the early stages, his skin has only just started to change, however he could see that even in the last few hours, the scabs had moved further up his arm. It wouldn’t be long before it would reach his elbow, then his shoulder. Those in the late stages had scabs covering their face and eyes, rendering them blind. Death followed quickly after as the scabs sealed their nose and mouth.

Getting out of bed, he donned his blue robe and ensured that his hands and arms were not visible. It wouldn’t be long before it was discovered that he was afflicted and sent away. Until then however, he wished to enjoy the freedom he had left, and that meant no one seeing his changing skin. He made his way out of the bedroom and the tenement, ensuring that it was locked tight. He made his way through the city slowly, enjoying the gentle moonlight as it played over the rooftops and the cobblestone streets. He nodded at the few people out at this time, most coming home from one of the many drinking establishments or brothels that were open all night.

Pravus stopped at the Three Monkeys, a rather notorious establishment, famed for the frequency and severity of its brawls, the busty waitresses, and the strength of its mead. Heading past the brick of a bouncer and through the open door, Pravus could see the bar was as lively as ever. Live music played as drunk patrons harassed the waitresses and each other, those few that still had most of their faculties were engaging in darts or tests of strength.

At one corner of the bar sat a hooded figure, quietly drinking a pint. As Pravus approached the bar the hooded figure turned to face him. He could see now that she was a young woman, lithe but obviously possessing of some strength. The first thought was that she was a warrior; however she lacked the trappings of one, wearing only simple black clothing. The only visible weapon was a small dagger attached to her belt. She stared at him, as though she was looking through him and into his soul. He could do little but stare back into those piercing eyes. After a moment, she stood up without a word and paid the barkeep before leaving. Slightly perturbed and more than a bit curious, Pravus followed her out.

“Hey!” He called as she walked away. If she heard him she made no sign.

Picking up his pace to catch her, he grabbed her arm with his uninfected hand. Reacting with blinding speed, she spun him around and pressed him hard up against a nearby wall. Pravus could feel the cold iron of that dagger pressed against the back of his neck.

“Don’t touch me.” She said simply.

“What happened back there?” Pravus replied, summoning as much defiance as he could muster.

“You are infected. You should be in a camp.” She replied.

Pravus paused. How could she tell when his infected arm was well hidden? “Are you a city guard? Are you going to take me in?”

“No.” She said simply. “Now don’t move, or else my blade will find your neck.”

Pravus stood still as instructed. He could tell she was staring at him, he could almost feel those eyes. It was a sensation unlike anything he’d ever experienced.

“Interesting.” She whispered. “Just like the others.”

“Others? Are you tracking infected people?” Pravus asked.

“Shut up.” She said sternly. “Now, I’m going to give you a chance, seeing as you have helped me. Leave now, or else you will die. I have to go and prepare.”

“Prepare? Prepare for what?” Pravus demanded. He could no longer feel the dagger pressed against his neck. He spun around to confront the woman, but she was gone. He looked up and down the street for a sign of her, but to no avail, leaving him confused about what just happened.

There he stood rubbing the back of his neck when the sound of lightning startled him. Looking up, he could see storm clouds approaching, tinted a vicious blood red. Realisation dawned on him. His dreams weren’t dreams, they were visions. He had seen the future, seen his impending death. The woman knew this, which was why she had fled to prepare. It was almost as though she had ripped the thoughts from his mind. He started running.

Pravus continued to run as the first lightning strikes began to hit. Rooftops burned and streets shattered under the godly forces. The sounds of battle filled the air, swords colliding, the growls of inhuman monsters, the screams of fallen soldiers. Pravus could see people running to their homes, or cowering in alleyways. Some of the beasts had breached the city walls now and were starting to massacre anything they came across. Pravus didn’t pause, running until he fell to his knees from exhaustion. All around him the city was burning.

Just beyond one of the burning rooftops Pravus could see the top half of one of the largest creatures, a behemoth firing beams of pure energy from its fingertips, incinerating anything that lay in the beams path. It stood taller than most trees, and its flaming face leered like a grinning skull, lifeless yet malevolent. In the distance Pravus could hear the sounds of cackling Gargoyles as they went from house to house, tearing apart the occupants with unmatched enthusiasm. The city defenders had fallen quickly to waves of those Gargoyles, their arrows and blades unable to penetrate the rock hard hide of the monsters.

A growl caused Pravus to spin around on the spot. In the shadows a pair of glowing eyes leered at him. He started to run again, but it was too late, the Wulven was too fast. As the claws dug deep into his flesh he screamed in agony....
    Extra Tough Claws - Proud Member of ETC

Articles | Decklist | Fan Fiction

Shadow Era Art Thread | PB @ DeviantArt

PFG Member | I've been interviewed!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Nice! That is grade A material right there!
    (former)Armored Space Fleet Member
    (former) Design Team Intern
    Physical Deck Theory
    Faolind's Game Map (strategy article)
    Awesome Tournament!!!!
    (And its results)
    I wrote for this tournament (Rogues and Hunters are mine)

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I freaking loved this. As a fellow SE fan fiction writer, it makes me happy to see other people dabbling into this area! Well done!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks guys. Anyone guess which card Pravus is?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Tainted oracle by my best guess.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Preybird View Post
    Thanks guys. Anyone guess which card Pravus is?
    Nishaven for Pravus, and either Serena or black garb for the woman. (I would say Serena but her clothes aren't really simple)
    Team Juggernaut's Boastful Warrior!
    Insert witty comment here, Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Wanna try your hand at some of the hardest riddles known to man? See my thread of riddles!
    Wanna see some awesome decks? See my complete deck list! (all heroes)
    Wanna be a Juggernaut? Start by applying for TJX

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by trashbocks View Post
    Tainted oracle by my best guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDogood View Post
    Nishaven for Pravus, and either Serena or black garb for the woman. (I would say Serena but her clothes aren't really simple)
    Trashbocks got Pravus, he's based on Tainted Oracle. Pravus is even Latin for "evil". I couldn't get a translation for "tainted", "infected" or "corrupted" that wasn't bleedingly obvious.

However the woman is Serena, I just didn't want to make it too obvious. The line "ripped the thoughts from his mind." was my giveaway (Serena Thoughtripper)

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Another one!

--------------------------

Jarhead

Ka’thax the Gargoyle licked his lips impatiently as the incantions were spoken. He was itching to rend flesh, to taste the blood of the pathetic humans. Looking to his side, the others were similarly agitated. The great Shadow horde was ready to do battle, if only the Master would HURRY UP.

Finally the incantation was finished and the tear in reality opened. At first it was small, barely big enough for Ka’thax to stick his head through, but after a few moments it had grown big enough to accommodate him. He leaned back on his powerful rear legs and attempted to leap through, but was knocked to the side. Ka’thax growled as Ve’thoq pushed him out of the way, before leaping through as quickly as he could after him.

The city under siege was in the desert, but it was home to a powerful standing army. The Master had referred to it as the “City of Spears”, but that meant little to Ka’thax. All that mattered was that the prey was there, waiting to be bled dry.

Human pikemen arrayed in front of the city walls, ready to give their pathetic lives. Ve’thoq was already in the middle of battle, and Ka’thax cursed him again as Ve’thoq drew first blood. Without wasting any more time, Ka’thax leapt into the fray. Once Ka’thax had closed the distance between him and his quarry, it became hard for the humans to wield their clumsy weapons, and they fell easily to Ka’thax’s claws. He paused for a moment to lick his claws and get the taste of that sweet blood. As he did so, more of the Shadow army poured through the portal, and the humans were beginning to be overwhelmed. And once they caught sight of the great minotaur Talrok, the humans began to falter.

Talrok charged at the front line, swinging his massive battle hammer at anyone foolish enough to be in his way, human and Shadow alike. Ka’thax leapt out of the way as Talrok collided with the pikemen, spears snapping under his colossal mass. Bodies flew everywhere as Talrok indiscriminately butchered anyone within reach. Ka’thax prepared to charge back into the fight, to mop up the wounded when he heard Talrok roar in agony. The great minotaur fell to his knees, blood gushing from a dozen wounds, before collapsing dead. Standing behind the corpse was a human female in battle plate, wielding a pair of vicious looking swords. Seeing Talrok fall so easily, some of the Shadows paused to size up this new threat.

“Kill her!” The Master boomed, her voice amplified to a deafening volume by her magics. Shaken back into action, the Shadow army launched forward. The female moved with an incredible grace, leaping effortlessly over Talrok’s corpse and slicing the throat of one of the Wulven, before spinning on the spot to impale another. A Brute swung his club down to bludgeon her, but she was no longer there, having rolled under the blow. She brought both blades up between his legs, the razor sharp iron effortlessly slicing him in two. Ka’thax was enthralled by the killing skills of this woman, and she would provide some much needed sport.

One of the Master’s elite Knights knocked him out of the way as he charged into the battle. He towered over the female, and his greatsword would have easily been her height. It mattered not to her; she simply spun and weaved around the Knight’s attacks as though he was standing still. She kicked out his knees and in a single sweep of her blade, the Knight’s head was separated from his neck. The female prepared to meet the charge of the next warrior when she was knocked off her feet by a blast of lightning. The Master has entered the fray.

Diminuitive, with a petite figure and silvery hair, Ka’thax had heard many human males refer to her as “attractive”. Personally he found her repulsive, her cruelty surpassed that of even Talrok. There was no pity or mercy in her eyes as she pressed the attack, summoning a great flame and hurling it at the female. She rolled out of the way, barely avoiding the blast. She got to her feet just in time to see the Master launch another blast of flame, large enough to immolate her whole. The Master smiled as the flames engulfed her, however she frowned as the smoke cleared.

Standing in front of the female was a giant of a human male, wielding an enormous twin bladed trident. His armour was blackened by the blast, yet somehow he had survived without any injury. Ve’thoq, who had also avoided injury thus far, launched himself at the giant male, and was promptly impaled on the trident for his trouble. Ka’thax grimaced as the male tossed Ve’thoq’s limp form to the side, before swinging the trident around to a guard position. The female was on her feet now, a wry smile on her lips.

The Master smiled as well as she spoke the incantation. Another portal opened behind her and Korlack charged through. Upon seeing the broken form of his brother Talrok he roared, a combination of bloodrage and anguish. He threw his left hammer at the male, the immense mass of the hammer threatening to cave in the male’s skull. However the male was just as agile as the female, and effortlessly ducked under the hammer as it soared over his head. As the hammer passed over his head, the female spun around him and began to close the distance. The Master launched another lightning strike, however this time the female was ready, evading the attack. Korlack roared and stepped in front of the Master, his remaining hammer at the ready. He swung at the female, who slid under the blow. However Korlack was quicker than his brother, and he managed to grab her by the leg as she attempted to recover. The Master watched as Korlack hefted the female up and prepared the killing blow. Ka’thax grinned.

However in focussing on the female, Korlack had discounted the human male. The male’s trident connected with Korlack’s hammer, and with a quick twist, locked around the handle. With all his strength, the male twisted the trident further, ripping the hammer from Korlack’s hand and disarming him. Turning the face the new threat, Korlack gave the female the chance she needed, and she swung one of her swords up, connecting with his neck. The minotaur released his grip on her and slumped to the ground. Unfortunately the female managed to avoid being crushed by Korlack’s lifeless body.

The Master growled. Her army has been routed by two pathetic humans. She launched another lightning strike, knocking both humans back before charging up a massive ball of energy. Ka’thax knew what was coming, and started to run as far as he could. The Master slammed the ball of energy on the ground, and it erupted in an enormous explosion of fire. Ka’thax was blasted off his feet, and the Master and the two humans were ungulfed by the explosion. Then everything went black.

Ka’thax groaned as his eyes slowly opened. He tried to sit up but his back was killing him. The Master was gone; she had obviously fled through the portal. The two humans were gone as well, whether they had been immolated or had escaped was anyone’s guess. Ka’thax finally made it to his feet before beating his wings, however the pain from doing so was immense and it became obvious the blast had left his wings in tatters. Ka’thax groaned again.

Looks like he was walking home.
    Last edited by Preybird; 07-11-2012 at 04:25 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Nice! No Portal Minotaurs FTW this time, eh?
    Fire Snakes are high in Vitamin D.

Account for Gondorian to put crystalz into: Reshiram99

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Before I read it does it mention FS?
    For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Twitter: @N3rd4Christ | Skype: N3rd4Christ
    >>>>> My Trade Thread <<<<<