Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

The Noob's Grocery List

I've gotten so much help from the community here that I wanted to give a little back while I build up to my full potential in this game. When I first started playing Legend of the Five Rings (l5r) my "mentor" encouraged me to make shopping lists based off of the top tier decks at the time. The logic being, that if I had the top tier cards I could play around with them and learn by practice how to progress my play. This prevents the "noob flail" you see with many card games, I.e. I start playing SE, see 10 possible decks with 20 different building options and decide I will try playing them all in order to learn how to get better. The problem is, that while you are learning a little, most of your opportunity to learn good play habits is wasted trying to make mediocrity cards fit grandiose holes. No one can blame us, after we are new, but I feel there is something to be said for not only knowing which cards are traps for the new player, but which cards are gold mines for the experienced players. I do not have the ability to offer commentary on this list, but I can make it available to the masses of noobdom for your perusal. Here I have compiled a list of cards from the top 7 decks from the world championships. I say 7 because the 8th deck was a Moonstalker deck that didn't have a link. So without further ado here is the list:

Birgitte Skullborn 110 x
    Dirk Saber 100
    Priest of the Light 400 x
    Aldon the Brave 420 x
    Jasmine Rosecult 390
    Aeon Strormcaller 790 x
    Armored Sandworm 210 x
    Tainted Oracle 400
    Raven Wildheart 390 x
    Wulven Tracker 400 x
    Plasma Behemoth 150
    Death Mage Thaddeus 200 x
    Brutalis 100
    Infernal Gargoyle 100
    Shadow Knight 210 x
    Brutal Minotaur 400 x
    Molten Destroyer 400 x
    Belladonna 100

Fireball 150
    Lightening Strike 150
    Portal 390
    Tome of Knowledge 100
    Shriek of Vengeance 100
    War Banner 100
    Shrine of Negatia 200
    Bad Santa 430
    Crippling Blow 100 x
    Retreat! 100
    Smashing Blow 100 x
    Blood Frenzy 100 x
    Honored Dead 400
    Enrage 100 x
    Healing Touch 100 x
    Tidal Wave 210 x
    Focused Prayer 100 x
    Resurrection 100 x
    Shadow Font 220 x
    Acid Jet 100 x
    Mind Control 310 x
    Sacrificial Lamb 400 x
    Supernova 260

Sliver of Shadow 200 x
    Jeweler's Dream 470 x
    Dimension Ripper 620 x
    Wizent's Staff 460 x
    King's Pride 670 x

The number to the right is the price according to current prices in the market. I have already spent $10 and bought a bunch of decks as per Raphael Mejere's 19.99 ultimate way to enjoy SE method. The "x" marks the cards I did not get full play sets of. I am convinced you can buy full play sets of this list using Raphael's method with the full $20. If you have further insight please feel free to throw it in. I also apologize for the crude layout of this post as I am posting on my phone.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Nice list. All of those cards are good foundation cards to a lot of decks.

For those on a budget, some of those cards on the list you will rarely need x4 copies. i.e. King's Pride, Aeon, War Banner, resurrection. Most decks will only have x2 maybe x3.
    IGN: TJ BlueJet24

Founder of Team Juggernauts

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thank you for adding that bluejet. I forgot to mention it. I hope this takes some of the guess work out of deck building for people. I know it has for me.