Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

How to run a guild: a case study

So after some musing, I felt this would help people. No, I'm not telling you guys what to do, and yes these are my opinions, but they're formed from experience.

So you decided to start a guild up, great! Now, how are you going to KEEP IT GOING? A guild is very much like owning a home. There's a saying in that industry: homeownership isn't a sprint, it's a marathon.

Well that same saying can be applied to a guild. You need to do certain things, have certain types of members to make your guild last. Preemptive measures to blockade drama.

So for this first installment as a demonstration of what I know, we will look at guild governments.

We have a few different types of governments, and sometimes a guild won't fit into any one single government. Let's take a look at the current types:

Dicatorship:

What the leader says, goes. If you disagree, you're kicked out. The least effective government in my opinion, and guilds led this way will often stay small, as members have no choice but to leave if they disagree.

Democracy:

The leader is elected, and higher members have more say than lesser members at times, or garner more support. This is a fairly effective government, but it invites a lot of drama. You can often see members having a lot to say because they feel they're important. And if you don't do what they say, they might garner more support, or worse, leave! Oh noes! Like I said, effective government but very, very dramatic.

Parlimentary:

This would involve a key figure with a council. The key figure has an overriding vote for some things, but not all. The council is the main body of power. In my opinion, this would be the most effective government. You have drama, yes, but it's mostly confined to a small area, the council. If members want a say, they can propose things, the council discusses, then it's yea or nay. Although sometimes good suggestions will get ignored or take a long time to implement with this method, the drama cutdown may very well be worth it.

So we looked at the government types. Any new player starting a guilxd will think "oh, let me just go ahead and im9lement x government in my guild, and I'm all set!"

No. Not true. A true guild leader will have his guild evolve over time. Any starting guild will most likely start as a dicatorship. It's only after time you choose the path of democracy, or parlimentary governing.

Often, it takes the removal of the leader to progress! So if this happens to you, sorry. But you can take pride your guild is growing. What you started is becoming better, stronger.

Now, what else do you need? In this particular game, knowlege is power. So where does knowlege come from? PLAYERS! Most especially, players that demonstrate they know what they're doing. They don't have to be tourney winners, those will come along by themselves, or evolve into winners.

But beware! Sometimes.a few poorly choosen players can destroy a guild just as easily as create it. The types you generally want to stay away from are:

Self important narcissists. These guys can be aholes to other people, smug in their superiority, and talk down to people. A guild can survive having a couple of these people in their membership, but you're inviting drama and woe.

Drama queens/lackeys. Everything they do is important. If they disagree with someone, they do it over multiple channels, loudly and clearly. This can sometimes spread over main forums too, embarassing the guild and its members. This can cut down on your intake of new members.

Trolls. Both a boon and not. Depending on the type of troll, you can find they boost morale through jokes, downtalking other guilds, shenigans. But on the other side, they can totally demolish a guild if they are the type that enjoys feeding off of negativity. If you want a troll in your guild, be sure he's the joking type. The put downer type will only hurt morale.

So now you have the three types I find the most troublesome, what do you do if you have one of them inside your guild? You can't just kick them. But don't despair! Very often, any one of those types will evolve on their own to fulfill a role. If they don't, then you need to give them the boot.

Now, the types you do want in your guild:

The professional. They don't speak often, but when they do their words are gold. These people are the ones who will bring other players up to the level of tourney winners.

The negotiator. These can be drama queens on their own, but they benefit the guild by smoothing ruffled feathers between other members, either directly or indirectly. However, be careful! Sometimes they can feel self important and make blunders of their own. When that happens, the blunder can be quite costly in terms of morale and members!

The bystanders. No guild would be complete without the common man. These are where you find your debates, your tourney winners, your outstanding members.

Now, let's say you have all of the above ready to go. What do you do now? COMMUNICATE!

Communication is an all important thing for any guild. Sure, forums help, but the best medium is live chat. Fortunately, we have an irc channel for shadow era.

And if you don't know how to build your own channel, I will happily create one for you and show you how to work it. (Speaking from experience, I've created 7 channels as of date.)

Without the chat experience, your guild won't be able to do live testing and sharing, golden discussions, humor, and so on. But be sure to assign ops to trusted members, as sometimes even the most casual member can get out of hand!

Now good luck, and go forth to create the ULTIMATE GUILD!
    Last edited by GS; 06-25-2012 at 03:15 AM.
    Signature for rent.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Reserved
    Signature for rent.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Great article
    For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Twitter: @N3rd4Christ | Skype: N3rd4Christ
    >>>>> My Trade Thread <<<<<

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Cool article. It's discussing that aspect of Shadow Era that most people take for granted, the community.
    Extra Tough Claws - Proud Member of ETC

Articles | Decklist | Fan Fiction

Shadow Era Art Thread | PB @ DeviantArt

PFG Member | I've been interviewed!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Thanks! Updated OP to complete it. My next edition will be regarding other aspects.
    Signature for rent.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    What is going on here?

Articles like this makes it sound like your still in A1...

Yet you claim you left and went Gravebone on the sniper kitty...

This is madness
    SHADOW ERA, ETC
    Enjoy Trading Card-games

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    You should have left A1 a long time ago. Your contribution lots to the community with your articles.

In no way do I mean any offense to A1. But this is a useful GS we hadn't really seen.
    For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Twitter: @N3rd4Christ | Skype: N3rd4Christ
    >>>>> My Trade Thread <<<<<

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Helio View Post
    What is going on here?

Articles like this makes it sound like your still in A1...

Yet you claim you left and went Gravebone on the sniper kitty...

This is madness
    I'm confused. Please specify where I'm making it sound like I'm in A1.
    Signature for rent.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by N3rd4Christ View Post
    You should have left A1 a long time ago. Your contribution lots to the community with your articles.

In no way do I mean any offense to A1. But this is a useful GS we hadn't really seen.
    My specality is guilds. at my best, I'm just slightly above average in playing shadow era. So thank you.
    Signature for rent.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I am very impressed by this post and think it will be valuable to a lot of people. I am left wondering which category each A1 member (past or present) occupies in your head.

Only improvement I can suggest is to get more feedback from other guilds on what works for them, and incorporate that.