Close

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I used a variant of this deck at the recent Krazy tournament 3 and it brought me victory.
    Here's what I changed:
    -1 Gargoyle, -1 DMT, -1 Molten, +3 Belladonna (I felt like some additional draw was needed, so Bella+SK+Bella always got me card advantage when at least the last one managed to stay on the board. Also this chain is useful to draw enemy Supernovas / Tidals).
    -1 Molten, +1 Plasma Begemoth (had no ca$h to replace it with a Molten)
    -2 LLN, +1 Acid Jet, +1 Sever Ties (works better against Warriors, good vs Hunters, more versatility overall)
    -1 HBM, -1 Shriek, +2 Feedback (ended up mostly sacrificing them, so wrong choice for this deck)
    +1 Soul Reaper (turned out to be another auto-sac)

OK, so maybe it got pretty far away from the original Here Be Zaladar after all But nevertheless I tried to get the most out of OP's strategy advice and must say BIG thanks to Fou DeLile! Now I see how balanced the original deck is.
    One thing though, it is nearly impossible for me to overcome Lance. The "one ally per turn" advice simply doesn't work as soon as there're both Anklebreaker and hasted Raven on the battlefield. Am I missing something here?
    Last edited by nMer; 07-15-2012 at 09:59 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Qtang View Post
    em...HMB.....

Well, it also only good if you get it in T4 or earlier, almost no use if you get it in later game. With 4 HMB, you give up some other much useful card later game cards, if you really use that,than you might use a rush deck, put more T2,T3, T4 in your deck and try to make a quick kill.
    Here Be Monsters openings play differently than a standard ally based opening, no doubt there.

I would argue that a Brutalis, HBM, DMT (then Shadow Font or Mind Control or Molten Destroyer) opening is pretty close to being the best play in the game against rush. You can kill most of his allies and starve him for cards. It's a leap of faith though. You have to experience it a few times to believe in it.

Offensively, it also works. Brute, Gargoyle, then DMT/Garg/SF+HBM or HBM+DMT/Garg/SF depending on board will allow you to control any board, deal damage to the other hero, force a though sacrifice and delay board sweepers. You then wait for the sweeper before taking the board with Molten Destroyer (Shadow Knight can work but it's a bit on the frail side).

HBM definetaly has limited impact past turn 5. At least it will cantrip if you're in the lead. Won't help much when you're behind though. I'll give you that.
    FDL TV!

Channel | Thread | Twitter
    Deck Techs, Game Commentary, Replay Analysis and more!

FDL Tips: The Metagame, Balance and You || Empty Hands
    LL Decklists: Serena || Elementalis

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by A1 Otto7 View Post
    Nice write up FDL! Gratz!
    I too have the same 4+1 2cc allies. I prefer DR for my draw though.

Bow about the SoS issue, wouldnt it be better to use 2 boars if u are going to add 2SoS? I think instead of Flayer, those 2 boars would serve a lot along with SoS...
    I didn't give the weapon a lot of toughts honestly.

I don't feel I need more draw and I'd hate to see my cards use against me. Most will generate pseudo-card-advantage (for lack of a better word). Mind Control and Shadow Font are removal and a little direct damage. Molten Destroyer and Gargoyle are tough to kill, and Shadow Knight will bring them back. HBM is a 2-1 plus probable tempo loss. Sac Lamb on crippled allies are neat.

It feels like every action produces a little incremental advantage and before you know it, your opponent is down to 11HP with nothing on his board. So no Ripper for me.
    FDL TV!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by nMer View Post
    I used a variant of this deck at the recent Krazy tournament 3 and it brought me victory.
    Here's what I changed:
    -1 Gargoyle, -1 DMT, -1 Molten, +3 Belladonna (I felt like some additional draw was needed, so Bella+SK+Bella always got me card advantage when at least the last one managed to stay on the board. Also this chain is useful to draw enemy Supernovas / Tidals).
    -1 Molten, +1 Plasma Begemoth (had no ca$h to replace it with a Molten)
    -2 LLN, +1 Acid Jet, +1 Sever Ties (works better against Warriors, good vs Hunters, more versatility overall)
    -1 HBM, -1 Shriek, +2 Feedback (ended up mostly sacrificing them, so wrong choice for this deck)
    +1 Soul Reaper (turned out to be another auto-sac)

OK, so maybe it got pretty far away from the original Here Be Zaladar after all But nevertheless I tried to get the most out of OP's strategy advice and must say BIG thanks to Fou DeLile! Now I see how balanced the original deck is.
    One thing though, it is nearly impossible for me to overcome Lance. The "one ally per turn" advice simply doesn't work as soon as there're both Anklebreaker and hasted Raven on the battlefield. Am I missing something here?
    That's the beauty of Zaladar, he can molded in many ways. Just find the variation that suits you.

HBM will hurt Lance a lot 'cause he wants to play 5cc cards as soon as possible.
    You have 1 Mind Control for each of Raven.
    Molten Destroyer is also extremely annoying with the ping damage. Do not be afraid to attack into Anklebreaker for 5 damage once in a while. Try to play MDs on turns Lance can't haste an ally.
    Shadow Knight is key in bringing back himself and MD.

Can't think of anything else to say right now. Will pay attention next time I face Lance.
    Last edited by FDL; 07-15-2012 at 06:00 PM.
    FDL TV!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Your deck is amazing, using it I went from 200 rating to 245 with ease. But i felt losing board control end game tiny bit risky tho, not all the times you can burn your opponent enough before you lose board control espiecially vs lance and amber. What do you feel about using soul maker staff? I've been using it with some success, it can counter most weapon users but I guess the 6cc and reliability of it ain't so good. I'm not a big fan of dr or SOS either but lack of weapon seem to be weakness.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Glad you like it.

I haven't tried Ghostmaker in this deck because I don't think I have alot of ineresting targets. Molten Destroyer is okay at best and the rest don't really qualify.
    FDL TV!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I thought I was gonna see Mine or Barcas deck when I clicked this.
    IGN: Master Savage
    - 1st Place in 7/26/13 BP Challenge Tournament #7
    - 1st Place in 6/13/12 Pop-Up Tournament.
    Un-official Tournament Organizer.
    Ranked 2nd in Minnesota for Yugioh.
    Warriors of the Blue Phoenix, Greatness Reborn.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Seriously just wana say again your deck own, just realise today i was in the top 20 rated player for a time. It peaked at 333 but i was like bleh a noob like me never gona be top 20 so rating doesn't matter so I kept experimenting with trial and errors on few stretegy and it went down but still 314. I still keep my ghost maker, people can think me noob whatever but i love it as a counter weapon. Just a question how do you beat amber that's on a draw? I find that I'm getting out drawn and literally out play by amber espiecially when I can't draw my brutalist and here be monster don't seem to work well on amber.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I like this deck a lot, but i'm also wondering how you deal with the lack of drawing power? I've found it a challenge, but i've noticed that many "pro" decks don't have THAT many drawing cards. Any tips?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Elker View Post
    I like this deck a lot, but i'm also wondering how you deal with the lack of drawing power? I've found it a challenge, but i've noticed that many "pro" decks don't have THAT many drawing cards. Any tips?
    The slower the deck, the less draw cards you usually see. It's around 6-8 for most decks currently, slower ones going to as low as 4.

3x Shadow Knight, 3x Sacrificial Lamb, 4x Here Be Monsters(the draw part) should be enough to provide you with enough stuff as long as you don't sac any Sacrificial Lambs and Shadow Knights unless absolutely necessary.

Just work on your sac decisions and you should be able to play with less stuff.