Close

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

World championship decklists?

Is Wulven or anyone going to post decklists of at least the final round finalists in the World Championship? Every other competitive TCG I know publishes the decklists of its organised events for fairly obvious reasons, it'd be disappointing if the same doesn't happen here. I'm not sure what's happened previously though.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I have all the decklists. I'd prefer to have the blessing of the players before doing anything with them though. I know iClipse is writing up his own deck, and others might want to as well. So let's give the guys a few days and see what they come up with.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    swccg, which I used to play, relied on the "honour" system like that before moving to the mandatory posting system, and imo it's really damaging to the long term health of the community to not automatically post decklists. It creates big assymetries in knowledge between different groups of players, secret "tech" being revealed and known relies more on the luck of who managed to see individual games or be a part of groups which have scouting capabilities and creates unnecessary drama where people who don't feel like sharing their decklists get pressure even though they're just doing what they're allowed to do - better off with mandatory posting imo, it just creates a clear expectation of what will happen and lets the overall meta develop better as well as better allowing for identification of problems in the meta.

I understand that you might be in a bit of a tight place if you haven't previously set the expectation, but imo this is certainly something that should be done as a matter of course and not relying on the goodwill of individual players.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Really, there is no secret tech in my decks, so you shouldn't worry about that too much. I'll post my decks later this week. Maybe tomorrow, I'll see if I get to it.
    iClipse - A1's Twilight Manipulator - A1 : Evolution in Theory
    Part of PFG

• My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too.

• Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

• With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.

• I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not sure.

• A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think the secret tech was that the heroes picked were banking on their opponents not using severed ties(warriors) and using a solid heroe in zhanna which players did not have significant matchup experience in 1.5.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    That's the other thing about tournament decklists and why people shouldn't be precious about them (not saying that anyone is, but just anticipating objection to mass-sharing of lists) - tournament picks are tailored to that tournament's meta, down to the level of your individual opponents potentially in these online tournaments. So what is good there isn't necessarily going to dominate quick matches.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    You're welcome to post mine if you release them all GDC. I might make a post but I doubt anyone would be interested, plus I'm lazy
    Elder TJ

World Championships 2nd Place Flycheung's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Anyone can watch the game replays to 'reverse engineering' the decks since the games can be re-watch multiple times. As long as you put some effort in it. Which I think one learn a lot more by watching them rather than just 'net-deck' it off the forum.

Barcafan85 got mine very close to accurate, he watched all my games, according to him. So it's not difficult at all.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Flycheung View Post
    Anyone can watch the game replays to 'reverse engineering' the decks since the games can be re-watch multiple times. As long as you put some effort in it. Which I think one learn a lot more by watching them rather than just 'net-deck' it off the forum.

Barcafan85 got mine very close to accurate, he watched all my games, according to him. So it's not difficult at all.
    I agree, there are enough games for each of the top 4 that you can reverse engineer to about 90-95% accuracy and also see what the general strategy against different opponents is. I don't think anyone should be forced to release their decks if they choose not to, it feels too much like big brother shadow era to me if this becomes the future of tournaments.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Flycheung View Post

See, this is exactly what I meant in my first post about unfair information assymetries. So for the people who:

a) know where to find replays of the relevant games,
    b) have literally hours to spare analysing the replays for all of the individual cards, or
    c) are in a clan with someone else who can do that for them

The decklists are "open". For 95% of the rest of the community they're not. There's no reason why this should be the case.

As i said, it's standard form in all tcgs that I know of (MTG, WoWTCG, Yugioh) to post decklists of at least a certain portion of major tourneys (eg. top 16), for the development of the overall meta and to take away that unnecessary and unfair information assymetry the same should be done here.
    Last edited by psychobabble; 06-18-2012 at 01:19 AM.