Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

1.5 Zaladar - "Crystal Miner"

Two decks in two days! Go me! Only 30-something to go and I'll beat Caitlyn0's record!

Anyway, I thought I'd post this. It's not my current Zaladar, but it's exceedingly close, and I'm actually thinking of going back to it because this deck is just so damn consistent. Basically this is very close to the "Common Zaladar", so if you're looking for the blinding light of inspiration, it's best to look elsewhere

1 x Zaladar

4 x Brutalis
    4 x Gargoyle
    3 x Death Mage Thaddeus
    4 x Molten Destroyer
    1 x Soul Reaper
    4 x Mind Control
    3 x Shriek
    4 x Shadow Font
    2 x Sacrifical Lamb
    4 x Bad Santa
    2 x Ley Line Nexus
    4 x Dimension Ripper

Total 39 cards + Hero

This is a very solid, very dependable, good-at-all-stages Zaladar. It's early game is incredibly strong, and it can even deal with late game heavies such as Aeon easily with the inclusion of Molten Destroyer. The deck can function at 5 resources, but realistically I find that the sweet spot is 8 or 9, allowing you to Shadow Font or Mind Control and back it up with another ally. 10 and your opponent is in trouble (double Mind Control!).

Draw

The bane of every Elemental player, the difficulties of draw. There are a number of options that you can use, and I've experimented with them all:

Bazaar: Bad choice for this deck. This is a control deck, not a rush. You're opponent will benefit way more than you from this card.

Bad Santa: Aiming for Santa Bombs, but useful for fishing out Mind Controls and Shadow Fonts.

Wulven Tracker: My original draw engine, and with Zaladar's ability, has a higher than average survival rate. However not consistent enough for the deck.

Transference: Crap. A Ripper without the really useful bit (the 2 damage). Added to this list for completions sake

Sacrificial Lamb: Lamb Slam. All that needs to be said. Really good draw, if a bit situational.

Dimension Ripper: For DR to work for you, you need to build around it to a large extent. This isn't a "Junkbox" deck in the truest sense of the term, but played properly it's pretty easy to ensure your opponent doesn't get anything critical.

This list does not include those cards which have draw as a 'cantrip', e.g. Here Be Monsters, Ley Line Nexus (though LLN made it into the deck for obvious reasons).

As you can see, I decided on Bad Santa and Sac Lamb with Dimension Ripper and the cantrip effect of LLN as backups. I originally had 3 x Sac Lamb and 3 x Bad Santa, but found that I didn't use Sac Lamb enough (though when I did it was dynamite ), hence the current configuration. With this amount of draw (12 cards in the deck produce draw of a sort) I find I can usually keep up with my opponent, especially if I slow them down by destroying their draw engines.

Strategy and Optimal Start

This deck is control and denial, pure and simple. The goal is to ensure that your opponent never gets a foothold. Zaladar can stage comebacks, but not like Lance, Gravebone or Zhanna. Keep your opponent down. To that end, you have a lot of options to allow you to do that:

Mind Control: Every Elemental players first love, and the bane of high attack allies everywhere I find the psychological value of this card is almost as good as it's ability. Watch as people resource their fatties in fear.

Shadow Font: Truth be told, this is the workhorse of the deck. Shadow Font on turn 4 is a very strong play, particularly going second, as it will allow you to use Zal's ability in Turn 4 and Turn 5, and frees up that critical Turn 5 for either a Ripper, Molten or Mind Control. These are always LAST on my sacrifice list.

Infernal Gargoyle: The VIP ally. This combos with Zaladar's ability to bring down 86.3% of allies in the game (Yes I did the calculation, and included BDB ). Also the most survivable 3 drop. Period.

Death Mage Thaddeus: Nipping on the heels of the Gargoyle, DMT has less survivability, but doesn't have to survive a turn to be useful. Also bypasses armour.

Brutalis: Never count out the little guy. Very survivable, and combos up to that magic 4 damage point.

Shriek of Vengeance: This is for draw engines. I find the best way to counter Zal's sometimes unreliable draw is to deny the opponent theirs. Bring them down to your level

Molten Destroyer: The end game. If one of these sticks, you're home free. Combos with Zal's ability to remove ANYTHING except Sandworm. DO NOT use these if your opponent is playing an Elemental, unless you've drawn out their Mind Controls. And if using Dimension Ripper, be sure to count your own Mind Controls.

Dimension Ripper: Against mages and Zal mirrors, these are your best friend. Against other heroes they're not as critical, though I enjoy using them on warriors Ever seen a Zaladar with Blood Frenzy and Enrage? Not pretty. Extra draw, of a sort. Combo with Bad Santa for one way steals.

Now, your best start would be as follows:

Turn 1: Nothing
    Turn 2: Brutalis/Bad Santa if going first
    Turn 3: Gargoyle/DMT
    Turn 4: Shadow Font (Alternatively you may put down another Gargoyle if your opponent isn't dropping lots of allies)
    Turn 5: Molten/Dimension Ripper/Mind Control if opp drops a suitable target.

Anything from Turn 6 is make it up as you go along Don't use Shriek until turn 6 at the earliest, you need to be at 5 resources minimum. Just remember the core premise of the deck, kick your opponent when they're down and DON'T let them get a foothold.

So, that's my Zaladar in a nutshell. Let me know what you think.
    Extra Tough Claws - Proud Member of ETC

Articles | Decklist | Fan Fiction

Shadow Era Art Thread | PB @ DeviantArt

PFG Member | I've been interviewed!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Very solid build.
    I would just take out that soul reaper and replace it with one more ally or anything. It just feels like every time you need that soul reaper, the ONLY sour reaper, it got DRed to your opponents. That's the REAPER CURSE. ))

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue117 View Post
    Very solid build.
    I would just take out that soul reaper and replace it with one more ally or anything. It just feels like every time you need that soul reaper, the ONLY sour reaper, it got DRed to your opponents. That's the REAPER CURSE. ))
    Either sack your DRs until you draw it or do not use if it is going to be vital in the match up.
    Shallow Era Channel and Blog
    Enhancing The Community, etc.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Keaven View Post
    Either sack your DRs until you draw it or do not use if it is going to be vital in the match up.
    What Keaven said. I find having one is good, but two (like one of my deck iterations) is bad.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I use 2. Maybe I can drop it to 1. My deck is a little different than this. I like the deck a lot. This was one of the decks that introduced me to DR Zaladar.
    Last edited by ahmet476; 06-15-2012 at 05:25 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I'm curious as to why you chose Molten Destroyer over Plasma Behemoth. Granted PB requires an extra resource sink the following turn, but coupled with Zaladar's ability, you own the board. Period. Are you trying to tech against Aeon? Against a non-human opponent, i would think PB was the better choice every time as it provides far greater utility. Too, you have to count out all human decks that don't run Aeon or sac him for fear of Mind Control. If indeed you are running MD as anti-Aeon tech, i think you're hindering your match-ups against the rest of the field. Of course this is all theory-craft as i haven't actually played the deck. Overall though, your build looks pretty solid. I might have to try it out :P

-Gifter

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gifter View Post
    I'm curious as to why you chose Molten Destroyer over Plasma Behemoth. Granted PB requires an extra resource sink the following turn, but coupled with Zaladar's ability, you own the board. Period. Are you trying to tech against Aeon? Against a non-human opponent, i would think PB was the better choice every time as it provides far greater utility. Too, you have to count out all human decks that don't run Aeon or sac him for fear of Mind Control. If indeed you are running MD as anti-Aeon tech, i think you're hindering your match-ups against the rest of the field. Of course this is all theory-craft as i haven't actually played the deck. Overall though, your build looks pretty solid. I might have to try it out :P

-Gifter
    There's no teching against Aeon. I simply like all my resources in my Zaladar deck. Remember my core cards are Mind Control (5cc), Shadow Font (4cc), Dimension Ripper (5cc). To be able to reliably run them, I need those extra resources. And with Zaladar's ability & Mind Control I own the board anyway.

That's my reasoning. However PB is something I'd be willing to try.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Is it the deck u used in our "still ongoing" ETC Championship?
    Shadow Era, ETC

Evolve Through Cooperation

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    No. It's a variation thereof. But its hardly groundbreaking, nothing too hard to reverse engineer. Besides, I posted it on the ASF forum weeks ago Bob.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    It may just be me, but these days I just can't play a Zal deck that isn't feedbombing all night long.
    MistahBoweh - Paragon of Paragons
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

My Strategy Site: The Boweh
    Latest Article: USED: MistahBoweh VS SamuelJ