Close

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuequi View Post
    I disagree, 3/4 hero in the top4 are human warrior. They are obviously OP.
    If anything, blood frenzy is, but to be fair when that is taken down by severed ties all that remains is one of the weakest card pools. Teching focus for many players were majiya and zaladar though, i think, not warriors. Maybe moonstalker was seen by some as a good match-up vs warriors, but when faced with 4x retreat, crippling blow and priest of the light chances become less than so-so for them, too, if moon isn't much prepared for that build (by f.e. leaving out wrath of the forest in favor of shadow font which many moon players don't even run anymore 'cause it's useless vs mages and makes their decks overall less stable, i.e. more easily decided by match-up alone). Not prepared (enough) for warriors pretty much sums the wc finals up imo. Next tournaments i guarantee you there's gonna be many more decks with severed ties and/or santas in it, not to mention Lance might cease to lay low, until warriors start to become less popular again, after they are going to see a rise now due to these results. They aren't OP, only spot-on calls for this tournament.

Anyway, i'm sure the semis and final are worth looking forward to (remember to needlessly use rippers to entertain us, Amber!).
    Last edited by Sisyphos; 06-16-2012 at 09:43 PM.
    A1's man without qualities - Evolution in theory.

My cards ideas: for mages, for others

Songs about Wulven by: TV on the Radio, Babel, Warren Zevon

However much one kind of longs to see the actors in war outdo each other in cunning activity, finesse, and stratagem, still one has to admit that these qualities show themselves but little in history and have rarely been able to emerge from amongst the mass of relations and circumstances.
    The reason for this is obvious enough: Strategy knows no other activity than the arrangement of combats with the measures which relate to it. It doesn't know, like ordinary life, actions that consist of mere words, i.e. expressions, declarations, etc. But these, which are inexpensive, are what the crafty one prefers to deceive with.
    This sober truth is always felt through and through by the actor in war and therefore he ceases to fancy a game of shrewd agility. Necessity presses so hard into immediate action that there is no room left for it. In a word, the pieces on the strategical chessboard lack the mobility that is the element of stratagem and cunning. - CvC, On War

1.27 Tournament Champion Raphael Majere's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sisyphos View Post

Anyway, i'm sure the semis and final are worth looking forward to (remember to needlessly use rippers to entertain us, Amber!).
    Zhanna with BF, F**king OP!!!!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    If anything, blood frenzy is, but to be fair when that is taken down by severed ties all that remains is one of the weakest card pools. Teching focus for many players were majiya and zaladar though, i think, not warriors. Maybe moonstalker was seen by some as a good match-up vs warriors, but when faced with 4x retreat, crippling blow and priest of the light chances become less than so-so for them, too, if moon isn't much prepared for that build (by f.e. leaving out wrath of the forest in favor of shadow font which many moon players don't even run anymore 'cause it's useless vs mages and makes their decks overall less stable, i.e. more easily decided by match-up alone). Not prepared (enough) for warriors pretty much sums the wc finals up imo. Next tournaments i guarantee you there's gonna be many more decks with severed ties and/or santas in it, not to mention Lance might cease to lay low, until warriors start to become less popular again, after they are going to see a rise now due to these results. They aren't OP, only spot-on calls for this tournament.

Just adding to your very well put response.

The answer may be simpler than explaining stable decks or OP heroes. It simply comes down to this: Everyone entering the tourney chose their hero for a specific reason. I promise you that reasoning was not to run up against a bad mach up but to have a favorable match-up against anything you might expect.

Regardless if something is OP or not, they chose to put their deck together a certain way. Did you see any Baduruu? I didn't. I think it would have been a more telling story if you saw over a third of the original field posting decks with the same hero. There were only two doubled characters in the final eight. I think thats impressive. there were a lot of very good matches.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Not prepared (enough) for warriors pretty much sums the wc finals up imo.
    +1. I think in MTG parlance, the meta-decks lost, while the anti-meta (Zhanna) and non-meta (warriors) got in. Warriors are non-meta because it was no longer popular in the meta, and no one teched against them.

So I echoed bayfighter's point that the DT is the winner here, having seen such a varied spread of heroes in the Grand finals! (and of course PFG helps )
    Last edited by Atomzed; 06-16-2012 at 11:23 PM.
    A1's Mustard-Seed Knight of Hope (IGN:A1 atomzed)
    Also a member of PFG1 and PFG2
    Rank #7 in Inaugural Meltdown Tourney
    Singapore Rep for Street Fighter Tournament

"Rapid analysis, accurate judgement, and superb powers of concentration...That is all we need." - Lezard Valeth

Proud member of A1 - Evolution in Theory
    Project Omega - Card Analysis and Strategy Guide

My Articles
    Deck size and Probability - A case for (slightly) bigger deck
    Meltdown Tier and Payout Analysis

1.27 Tournament Champion Raphael Majere's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomzed View Post
    +1. I think in MTG parlance, the meta-decks lost, while the anti-meta (Zhanna) and non-meta (warriors) got in. Warriors are non-meta because it was no longer popular in the meta, and no one teched against them.

So I echoed bayfighter's point that the DT is the winner here, having seen such a varied spread of heroes in the Grand finals! (and of course PFG helps )
    Excellent post by atomzed.

The choice of heroes and the decks were analyzed by me and ogausp later. Our main conclusion was that the heroes and the card choices were made not just to counter 1 deck type or MU but also did well against another popular deck type.

I'll cite my own portal maj deck as an example, I played it cos I expected a lot of lances. (which did not happen), but I was also well prepared vs anti Mage decks like bb, or the ogausp inspired 'swift' ms types with conscious card choices like acid jet.

Lastly, all the WC 32 guys played with well thought and unique decks. I saw 2 weapon types in rayzie's zal, chimera in barca's zal, hbm in sisyphos bb, BMs in wreon's ms.

In short, these great players were able to find great potential in cards in a 'tourney' meta which varies from tourneys to tourneys depending who's playing in them.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuequi View Post
    I disagree, 3/4 hero in the top4 are human warrior. They are obviously OP.
    I was kidding... :P
    "Rastas don't believe in violence... Rastas don't believe... Rastas know." -Bob Marley-

Winner of the Multi-Post Streak Challenge
    *’”⁷ᵔᵕᵔ∞*°゜゚⁰ᵒ☉●•⋆.ᵢᵢᵢ₇.。・°'¨⋋ⓚⓔⓝⓣⓤⓔⓠⓤⓘ⋌¨'°・。.₇₇₇.⋆•●☉ᵒ⁰゜゚°*∞ᵔᵕᵔ⁷‘“*
    ⊰☠ ℑcℯ ℰℒℱ ☠⊱

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Would be awesome if Iclipse wins this with Zhanna and then we'll have two World Champions with using Priests.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Really impressed by the varied heroes involved. I saw some great matches. All 32 really deserved to be there! Good luck to final 4.
    "I'll have you know I have the reflexes of a cat, and the speed of a mongoose"

LEGEND of TEAM JUGGERNAUTS

Recent accolades: season 5, finalist (top 8). UK streetfigher, Conquerors Bane runner-up.
    Immortalised as Flavour Winner for "Smoke Screen". Conceal, Confuse, and Obscure.

Link to irc: http://shadowera.gondorian.com/gamechat/

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Some stats of the Heros in Grand Finals.

- 10 heroes used (Gwen, Lance, Eladwen, Boris, Amber, Zhanna, Zaladar, Majiya, Moonstalker, Banebow)

- 8x Majiya (Hatts, Greymouser, Larus, Ninjaducky, B0hater, Raphael Majere, Bluejet, Redpuma)
    - 6x Zaladar (Barcafan, vAct, Dai, Rayzie, Youanthe, FDL)
    - 5x Moonstalker (Bobwei, TJ Ace, BDK, Wreon, Farqtheorc)
    - 3x Lance (Nickey293, Dollmaster, RVD)
    - 3x Banebow (Sisyphos, Ogausp, Harahtke)
    - 3x Amber (Jacqui, Flycheung, KA Jeff)
    - Zhanna (Iclipse)
    - Gwen (otto7)
    - Boris (Busti)
    - Eladwen (Finneri)

An important point to note is that there were only 1 Zhanna and 1 Boris in the whole Grand Finals, and they got into top 4.

I think the stats shows clearly that the first set of SE is really balanced, that even at the highest level of competition play, you can see so much variety of heroes.
    Last edited by Atomzed; 06-17-2012 at 08:04 AM.
    A1's Mustard-Seed Knight of Hope (IGN:A1 atomzed)
    Also a member of PFG1 and PFG2
    Rank #7 in Inaugural Meltdown Tourney
    Singapore Rep for Street Fighter Tournament

"Rapid analysis, accurate judgement, and superb powers of concentration...That is all we need." - Lezard Valeth

Proud member of A1 - Evolution in Theory
    Project Omega - Card Analysis and Strategy Guide

My Articles
    Deck size and Probability - A case for (slightly) bigger deck
    Meltdown Tier and Payout Analysis

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    That's only 10 humans and 22 shadow heroes. And no shadow heroes in the finals!
    iClipse - A1's Twilight Manipulator - A1 : Evolution in Theory
    Part of PFG

• My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too.

• Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

• With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.

• I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not sure.

• A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.