Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Demnchi View Post
    The thing is, the game is not imbalanced at all. Its much more balanced than it was in the past. Wulven is definably making balance one of their top priorities and with the existence of the PFG and the test servers, I think the game will stay pretty well balanced. Complex combos do still exist, they just aren't obvious. Experiment with many different ideas and I'm sure you'll find some. If its going to be a complex strategy, its not going to be easy.

As for Baduruu, I will admit that atm, he is probably the weakest hero. However, as more weapons get released in the future, he'll definably be a stronger pick. Heck, it doesn't even have to be weapons. The ability to play a weapon AND another card in the same turn is powerful, he just needs better cards that work with that. I'm sure we'll see more in the future. We just must be patient.
    i don't understand this sentence...'If its going to be a complex strategy, its not going to be easy.'
    also,upon this topic,the criterion of one's complexity should be defined first,i think

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I like the fact that different heroes add a completely different approach to how each game is played however, the more i play the more i realize this game is like a chess match every time. What i mean is the card pool is so limited that the first 8-10 moves is almost the same every time i play against the same opposing hero. The reason why it may seem unbalanced is because simply put- only a limited amount of decent decks can be made.
    Each hero has significant disadvantages against one or two other heroes. If i want a fighting chance against those said heroes I have to add 8 cards to my deck that become almost useless against the rest of the decks. This is just stupid in a 40card min deck.
    I'll use a MTG example: It's like having to use circle of protection red, white, black, green, and blue just because you *might* play a deck with one of those colors. By the time your done you realize you really don't have a diverse deck because you've wasted so much deck space.
    Simply add more "neutral" cards that offer both narrow effects on game play(target ally gains ability of your choice) and broad effects on game play(like all items in play are destroyed regardless of ownership)
    By created different heroes you have add a real nice touch to the game but have also dramatically limited the play by attaching certain types of cards to specific heroes. Simply open the card choice and most if not all of your balancing will be done for you.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitaddict View Post
    I like the fact that different heroes add a completely different approach to how each game is played however, the more i play the more i realize this game is like a chess match every time. What i mean is the card pool is so limited that the first 8-10 moves is almost the same every time i play against the same opposing hero. The reason why it may seem unbalanced is because simply put- only a limited amount of decent decks can be made.
    Each hero has significant disadvantages against one or two other heroes. If i want a fighting chance against those said heroes I have to add 8 cards to my deck that become almost useless against the rest of the decks. This is just stupid in a 40card min deck.
    I'll use a MTG example: It's like having to use circle of protection red, white, black, green, and blue just because you *might* play a deck with one of those colors. By the time your done you realize you really don't have a diverse deck because you've wasted so much deck space.
    Simply add more "neutral" cards that offer both narrow effects on game play(target ally gains ability of your choice) and broad effects on game play(like all items in play are destroyed regardless of ownership)
    By created different heroes you have add a real nice touch to the game but have also dramatically limited the play by attaching certain types of cards to specific heroes. Simply open the card choice and most if not all of your balancing will be done for you.
    While I agree that the pool is limited now and thus, each Hero has maybe 1 or 2 viable builds, I disagree on the solution.

You're totally right on that we need more cards, but we don't need more powerful neutral cards. Giving everybody access to a Shatterstorm/Tranquility type card would nullify an entire aspect of the game -- everybody would run 4 of that card and nobody would use weapons/armors/items/static abilities anymore. Like your mtg example, what you are suggesting is like giving everybody access to all the power cards regardless of color, which would ruin the game. Mtg needs 5 colors just like SE needs Heroes/classes.

The more powerful neutral cards released, the more people's decks will be similar (like Leyline is probably in 90+% of everybody's decks). That makes our decks less varied, not more.

What we need is more comparable cards by class to give players more choices. Like, Focused Prayer is an auto 4-of for all Priests. We need maybe another card like it, but different -- shooting from the hip here, but maybe something like:

4CC
    destroy any Item or Ability. gain 2 health

Or something that makes you think hard about which is better for your deck. Then, as the opponent, you wouldn't automatically say, "Oh look, I'm facing Zhanna -- that means Jasmine, Aldon, Tidal wave, and Focused Prayer for sure, and probably Wizent's, Puwen, Raven, etc". With more comparable card choices by hero/class we will have more varied decks.

Plus we need "wierd" cards -- half of what drives Mtg decks to be varied as all the bizarre cards that you basically need to focus a deck around, like Warp World. you would never just toss that into a deck, it needs to be built around it. I think SE needs cards like that. Continuously adding more allies, weapons and damage is just more of the same -- we need more than we have now, for sure, but also need cards for other build directions. maybe something like:

5CC: "Choose target ally or item an opponent controls. Place that card into the opponent's resource pool"

4CC: "if able, opponent discards a card at random from their hand"

4CC: "take another turn after this one. Your Hero and allies may not attack during that turn."

I don't know, it just needs to be mixed up a bit.
    1.25, 1.26, 1.27: 40 card decks, Big Bad Baduruu
    1.28/1.29 - best forgotten except for Elementalis Prime Grindage

1.5 - it's all good Naughty Gwenches
    -
    Players Focus Group 1, Missing In Action member of PFG 2

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by graphlem View Post

What we need is more comparable cards by class to give players more choices. Like, Focused Prayer is an auto 4-of for all Priests. We need maybe another card like it, but different -- shooting from the hip here, but maybe something like:

4CC
    destroy any Item or Ability. gain 2 health

Or something that makes you think hard about which is better for your deck. Then, as the opponent, you wouldn't automatically say, "Oh look, I'm facing Zhanna -- that means Jasmine, Aldon, Tidal wave, and Focused Prayer for sure, and probably Wizent's, Puwen, Raven, etc". With more comparable card choices by hero/class we will have more varied decks.

+1. Another good example is POTL. As a 3cc ally, his effects is really good. But the 3 health makes it vulnerable to being killed by an Puwen-Aldon combo or Carniboar-DMT combo. The 4hp Jasmine may be a better choice. So POTL is not an auto-include, but good enough to make ppl consider to put it in, but bad enough limitation to make ppl consider not putting it in.

An example fictional Priest card would be like:-
    "Ashes to Ashes" 2cc. All ablazed allies are removed from the board.

"Ashes to ashes " is technically a board wipe, but with conditions attached to it. The low cc cost makes it attractive (as compared to Tidal Wave), because at T5, you may play it and cast a 3cc ally.

Also with Ashes to ashes, the unpopular weapon, Wrath of Summer may suddenly become useful again. Because it caused the ally to be in ablazed status, it works extremely well with Ashes to Ashes..... But its a weapon that uses SE and so is in direct contrast to Wizent staff.

What that means that with 1 card, Ashes to Ashes, you are giving an alternative to Tidal wave. Not exactly a stronger board, just only a stronger board certain situations (ablaze). And with that 1 card, it will also affect the Wizent staff auto-include status.
    A1's Mustard-Seed Knight of Hope (IGN:A1 atomzed)
    Also a member of PFG1 and PFG2
    Rank #7 in Inaugural Meltdown Tourney
    Singapore Rep for Street Fighter Tournament

"Rapid analysis, accurate judgement, and superb powers of concentration...That is all we need." - Lezard Valeth

Proud member of A1 - Evolution in Theory
    Project Omega - Card Analysis and Strategy Guide

My Articles
    Deck size and Probability - A case for (slightly) bigger deck
    Meltdown Tier and Payout Analysis

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I like your suggestions and maybe we are both trying to get to the same thing. Your "weird" cards are simple and broad. I don't see them assigned to any one hero...This is what i was getting at. Cards that can be used by by multiple heroes in different ways. I think that each hero needs a core set of cards but there should be enough flexibility in the "neutral" cards for usage by most if not all the heroes in unique and complex ways.
    I also find that hero items should lose durability any time they are used period. Its silly forcing an opponent to either have a direct item destruction spell(if they are lucky enough to have one for their hero) or be lucky enough to have enough attackers to wear an item down when its sooooo easy to kill allies in this game.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Weak at eng........

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitaddict View Post
    I like your suggestions and maybe we are both trying to get to the same thing. Your "weird" cards are simple and broad. I don't see them assigned to any one hero...This is what i was getting at. Cards that can be used by by multiple heroes in different ways. I think that each hero needs a core set of cards but there should be enough flexibility in the "neutral" cards for usage by most if not all the heroes in unique and complex ways.
    I also find that hero items should lose durability any time they are used period. Its silly forcing an opponent to either have a direct item destruction spell(if they are lucky enough to have one for their hero) or be lucky enough to have enough attackers to wear an item down when its sooooo easy to kill allies in this game.
    Oh, my bad, the quick card ideas I threw out there would be for only for 1 Class or Faction. Probably:

Mage
    5CC: "Choose target ally or item an opponent controls. Place that card into the opponent's resource pool"

Rogue
    4CC: "if able, opponent discards a card at random from their hand"

Priest
    4CC: "take another turn after this one. Your Hero and allies may not attack during that turn."
    1.25, 1.26, 1.27: 40 card decks, Big Bad Baduruu
    1.28/1.29 - best forgotten except for Elementalis Prime Grindage

1.5 - it's all good Naughty Gwenches
    -
    Players Focus Group 1, Missing In Action member of PFG 2