Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Focused Prayer should handle Dimension Ripper just fine right? Transference would be more of a problem.
    Kicker of puppies, slasher of babies, and primordial Elder Lich.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Yeah...I was thinking of mages, and they can only use LLN to deal with rippers.
    Wanderer of Worlds
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

IGN: BP NickOh
    IRC: [BP]nickoh

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Gotcha. Bad Quality or Acid Jet could work as well in conjunction with allies if you worried about them stealing burn.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Unruler View Post
    What if they steal YOUR boadrwipe from your hand, deck or graveyard?
    Treat it like a Priest mirror match and conserve attackers/recovery I would guess.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Tidal Wave isn't a douchey card.

To newer and less-skilled players, board wipes can be one of the most frustrating aspects of just about any CCG that has them. This is where the concept of overextending comes into play. Through play and practice, you need to learn when it's "enough," when you have enough presence on the board that you no longer need to increase it, because doing so would be wasting cards when your opponent has the opportunity to obliterate you.

Of course, this only applies to certain classes, namely Mages, Priests, and Elementals. For now, there's not really any repercussion for swarming allies on the other classes.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Even when not playing against a wipe, it is NOT always good to just spam the board with allies. Remember that once you have substantial board presence and have your opponent on a clock, there's no reason to empty your hand other than winning more than you already are. Instead, let your opponent play on the defensive, spend his turn playing removal on your smaller threats so that the bigger threats in your hand get to stay in play later on. If you don't play anything bigger than a 3 drop and you're just some burn/rush deck, then rush, by all means. But if you can actually win after the seventh turn of the game, you're often better off saving threats and forcing your opponent to 'waste' their removal while maintaining card, hand, AND board advantage.

Also, if you already have the board and haven't gotten all the resources you need for the game yet, you're often better off saccing that weenie than playing it. You get more value out of your cards in the end that way.
    MistahBoweh - Paragon of Paragons
    Greatness, Reborn

My Strategy Site: The Boweh
    Latest Article: USED: MistahBoweh VS SamuelJ

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    You make "win more" sound like a dumb thing to do. There's always a way to get a couple of smaller guys under control, why allowing it to possibly happen? If you have a fattie build and took the board with smaller guys already it won't bother you if your opp. uses removal on that fattie (or additional 3 or 4 - drop) you play while your earlier drops stay free to do whatever you need them to do. Even draw at best only gets you to more of the threats you could've and should've wanted to play in the first place, and at worst fills your hand with removal that you can't use for a while until your opponent gains back momentum.
    Piling up threats is just better, though in the case of weapon users it doesn't have to through allies.
    A1's man without qualities - Evolution in theory.

My cards ideas: for mages, for others

Songs about Wulven by: TV on the Radio, Babel, Warren Zevon

However much one kind of longs to see the actors in war outdo each other in cunning activity, finesse, and stratagem, still one has to admit that these qualities show themselves but little in history and have rarely been able to emerge from amongst the mass of relations and circumstances.
    The reason for this is obvious enough: Strategy knows no other activity than the arrangement of combats with the measures which relate to it. It doesn't know, like ordinary life, actions that consist of mere words, i.e. expressions, declarations, etc. But these, which are inexpensive, are what the crafty one prefers to deceive with.
    This sober truth is always felt through and through by the actor in war and therefore he ceases to fancy a game of shrewd agility. Necessity presses so hard into immediate action that there is no room left for it. In a word, the pieces on the strategical chessboard lack the mobility that is the element of stratagem and cunning. - CvC, On War

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    What you're describing is called overextension, when a person plays significantly more than they need to to win the game. My point is that once I have 3-4 allies on the table, I'd rather hold onto my last couple cards then playing off the top, just for safety's sake not to mention the advantage of my opponent not knowing what the held card are plus, like I said, forcing them to pop removal on other targets.

If I'm going to win, it doesn't matter how fast I win as long as I do. So it's better to increase my odds of wining even if my opponent gets the nut and stabilizes as opposed to going all in and taking an unnecessary risk. Yes, it depends on the cards involved and yes, holding back is not always right, but neither is overextension. It depends on what the decks are capable of and if playing your threats decreases the opponent's chance of having an out.
    MistahBoweh - Paragon of Paragons
    Greatness, Reborn

My Strategy Site: The Boweh
    Latest Article: USED: MistahBoweh VS SamuelJ

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I agree with Sisyphos. If you are playing against Heros with no board wipes, you should press the advantage.

there's no concept of overextension against heroes with no board wipes. Example if you play against Banebow/ Boris the more threats you put down the harder he has to deal with the threats and the more cards he will waste.

Also I don't agree with the opinion that holding cards on hand preserve you advantage against those heroes. Yes you may have card advantage, but unless the cards you have on hand are DD that has an immediate effect when cast, you are better off summoning those allies on the board. Because when you have board advantage, your allies will be able to survive the initial turns, deal more dmg the next turn and force him to spend more cards dealing with the threats.
    A1's Mustard-Seed Knight of Hope (IGN:A1 atomzed)
    Also a member of PFG1 and PFG2
    Rank #7 in Inaugural Meltdown Tourney
    Singapore Rep for Street Fighter Tournament

"Rapid analysis, accurate judgement, and superb powers of concentration...That is all we need." - Lezard Valeth

Proud member of A1 - Evolution in Theory
    Project Omega - Card Analysis and Strategy Guide

My Articles
    Deck size and Probability - A case for (slightly) bigger deck
    Meltdown Tier and Payout Analysis

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    You're really only "over-extending" yourself if there is a risk of some serious repercussion. If there isn't a risk, it's just a win-more. Spamming allies when you already have the lead against a Hero that can't wipe you isn't over-extending -- there's no "Oh Crap!" moment that can come from doing so (unless, as I said earlier, you happen to be playing against Gwen and she can use your allies against you to gain health).

The only other downside I can see, game-wise anyway, to playing more allies than you need to against somebody that can't do anything about it is it tips your opponent off to the contents of your deck which you may not want to do if this is game 1 or 2 of a 3 game series. Non-game-wise it can be kind of douchey to just spam allies when it's clear you will win anyway.
    1.25, 1.26, 1.27: 40 card decks, Big Bad Baduruu
    1.28/1.29 - best forgotten except for Elementalis Prime Grindage

1.5 - it's all good Naughty Gwenches
    -
    Players Focus Group 1, Missing In Action member of PFG 2