Close

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Exclamation The Oathbreakers of Dunharrow 2.0 *** Updated for Meta ***

I do not believe this darkness will endure.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Behold, The Oathbreakers of Dunharrow 2.0.

Total Deck Size = 40 Cards.

The Lady of Lórien:
    1x Zhanna Mist

The Decedents of Glaurun:
    4x Armored Sandworm

The Protectors of the Dead:
    3x Earthen Protector
    2x Aeon Stormcaller

The Oathbreakers:
    4x Tainted Oracle

Oaths:
    4x Healing Touch
    4x Tidal Wave
    4x Focused Prayer
    3x Smite
    3x Curse

Weapons & Armor:
    3x The King's Pride
    2x Wizent's Staff
    3x Ghostmaker

Original Version 1.0: http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....s-of-Dunharrow

Update, Version 3.0 for Call of the Crystals!
    +1 Wizent's Staff
    +1 Resurrection
    +2 Lily Rosecult

-1 Earthen Protector
    -3 Smite

Use Resurrection against mirror matches against Zhanna and against Millstalker, otherwise just sac.
    Lily is just too awesome with this deck. Being able to regenerate a ghost maker and king's pride, plus being able to resurrect her is just too much fun. Plus, since she's a lower cost ally, you can combo tidal + lily on turn 8 if you are losing too much health from the board.

Smite is good, but wasn't winning games. That was the toughest decision. Still not sure if I like this version or 2.0 better...
    Last edited by yomaster; 02-03-2013 at 04:18 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    *** UPDATED FOR META ***

I've updated Oathbreakers for the new meta. I have carefully analyzed this deck and refined it for over a month of solid playing and it's seriously kick-ass. The synergy of each and every card is totally maximized. Not a single card has gone to waste, so the opportunity for combos is extremely high, leading to some really fun and creative play. This deck requires you known your opponents card pool by heart, so it is not for beginners. If you are tired of getting pounded by amber, eladwen, lance, and banebow, then take this one out for a spin. Just be prepared to get comfortable when your health is < 10 because that's when the fun is just getting started.

Cards:

Zhanna Mist - Same as before. You need her S.E. to stay alive as long as possible. This is made even easier now with the inclusion of Healing Touch. Never use her ability unless she is below 15 health. Save it for your allies in the late game. Be comfortable with having really low health the whole game. Many games I end up with <8 health and still easily win by outdrawing my opponent.

Armored Sandworm - Such a great card in this meta. Virtually unstoppable against mages and warriors. Now with healing touch, there is even more synergy against crippling blow, ankle breaker, and Eladwen's freeze. Also remember a ghost-maker sandworm has 1 health but still requires 3 hits to die, making it stick on the board longer. The real fun is when Kings Pride comes out. Early game, sac this card, but try to keep 3 in play for mages.
    Synergies:
    - Curse: nullifies enemy ravens against your sandworm!
    - Ghostmaker: not ideal use for ghost maker, but sandworms are extremely hard to kill even with 1 health.

Earthen Protector - I used to use this card for additional synergy with tainted oracle, but I've found this causes you to draw TOO MANY cards. Yes, it's actually possible to draw too fast. Since this deck doesn't have any low CC allies, I find earthen less useful for this purpose. Instead, he is 100% dedicated to the winning condition of Earthen Protector + Aeon. Aim for an Aeon + EP drop on turn 11 to seal the game. You may not think you'll live that long, but with King's Pride to soak up damage, curse, smite, and healing touch, you'll be fine. Sac in early game. You really only need 1 in play per game. Don't be afaid to kill him off early either as a ghostmaker EP is so incredibly awesome if you put down an Aeon on top of it.
    Synergies:
    - Aeon: If you can get aeon and Earthen Protector on the board at the same time, you just won the game.
    - Ghostmaker: awesome combo: attack with Earthen, suicide a tainted or aeon against a fatty, then bring earthen back to life with ghost maker.

Aeon Stormcaller - Last paragraph sums it up. Don't use ghost maker on him. Instead, let him soak damage, crippling blows, freeze, etc, and throw down an EP behind him. Don't be afraid to use healing touch on him to keep your other allies protected.
    Synergies:
    - Earthen Protector: If you can get aeon and Earthen Protector on the board at the same time, you just won the game.

Tainted oracle - aim to drop this on turn 4. If your opening hand has more than 1, sac it right away. If your opening hand has tainted and wizents, sac wizents staff. Never heal tainted oracle. It's only purpose is to draw cards, so kill him ASAP. The key to making this work is to be sure you play a card on turn 3 (curse, smite) so when you play tainted you have only 4 cards left in your hand. If you have 5, you'll actually lose 1 card draw if tainted dies! Better to waste a smite early. Resurect him with ghost-maker as many times as you can. Seriously amazing draw. 100% better than wizents staff, and become a very sizeable threat once king's pride drops.
    Synergies:
    - Ghostmaker: Shadow Era's most powerful drawing engine.
    - King's Pride: becomes a solid 4/3 ally for late game damage and if he dies, even better!

Healing Touch - key card against the mage-heavy meta, and heavily undervalued. Most people don't realize that healing touch can be used to negate any negative effects!! Dominates Eladwen's freeze, Lance's anklebreaker, jasmine's ability, crippling blow, poison, flame, and great to keep Zhanna alive. It's really just as good as a fireball, if not better. It's 4 health to you, which is the same as -4 health to your opponent, plus it can be a game changer to bring back a crippled sandworm that was left on the board. Think twice before sacing this card. I would choose to sac smite or king's pride, or even a sandworm over this card.
    Synergies:
    - Nullifies any status ailment.
    - Ghostmaker: Can heal a freshly resurrected sandworm or earthen protector.

Tidal Wave - THE key card in the priest deck. Against mages, you'll probably only need 1-2 to kil the early weenie rush. Wait until your opponent has at least 5 points of attack on their ally board before using it. If less than 5, just keep throwing down tainted oracles and smites to soak up damage until they drop their fatty. The goal of this card is not to destroy the enemy's ally line. (Although that's a nice side-effect). The main goal is to starve your enemy's card supply. Has awesome synergy with a crippled or stunned tainted oracle. Against blood frenzy, you may need all 4 so do not hesitate to sac a healing touch or smite or king's pride to keep these around.
    Synergies:
    - Tainted Oracle: Smack hero for 2, then suicide this poor guy. Even better if he's been crippled.

Focused Prayer - Use this to destroy drawing engines and enemy armor. Your biggest threats are Wrath of the Forest (!), Research, and the super annoying Dimension Ripper. All armors block your drawing engine, so they need to be removed ASAP. Everything comes down to this: You must not allow your opponents to draw cards, and you must kill as many of your tainted oracles as possible. They need to be top-decking and capped at <8 resources. Meanwhile you will be at 11-12 with a full deck of allies, and probably <10 health, but that's ok because you are zhanna and have a massive 16 points of healing touch available to you!

Smite - Great surprise card. Use these against early weenie rush puwen, priest of the light, nightshade, erika. In mid game, sac these in favor of tidal wave. In late game they can be great to squeeze out those few extra hit points against that pesky mage who just nuked you twice and is now <5 health also. You will find yourself having to choose whether to play this or curse on turn 3. Always play curse, but if none is available, ALWAYS play a turn 3 card, esepcially if you go second, or you'll end up with a full deck and blocked draw come turn 4, 5, which is bad bad bad.
    Synergies:
    - Wizent's staff: Use wizent's staff as a 4th hit point to finish off any 4 health ally like aldon, bad wolf, death mage thaddeus.
    - Smite: Synergy with itself for a surpise mini-rush on the hero near the end of the game!

Curse - A killer card and the ideal turn 3 drop. Tip: Known your opponent's item destruction! Against human mages and warriors, they can not destroy this card since it's immune to ley line nexus, so if you have duplicates, sac them! Shadow folk can use Shriek, so keep a spare. (I actually like when they shriek it because it does them more harm than good. They just don't realize it yet). This card is key to surviving mage early rushes. Add up how much health this card saves you over the entire game and it will usually amount to >10 extra hit points! Since this is a control deck, the longer you last, the more value this card has!
    Synergies:
    - Healing Touch: Use healing touch + curse to keep Zhanna alive for as long as you need while you wait for the tidal wave.
    - King's Pride: You don't have a lot of allies, so curse + King's pride makes your enemies worth a lot more than your oppoent, so you don't need the increased quantity that they require.
    Last edited by yomaster; 05-22-2012 at 08:38 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Kings Pride - Originally I only ran two of this card. I found that all too often I'm saccing one on turn 1 and then get a ley line nexus on my second. So I added a third and it's working wonders. If you run out of tidals on turn 6, 7, don't be afraid to drop a king's pride even with no allies. This will usually signal that you don't have a tidal wave and your opponent will swoop in to attack. let them. When you get your tidal, hopefully you'll still have at least 1 durabilty on your king's pride, and that's all you need once you drop ANY ally down onto the board. The synergy with ghost-maker is amazing since it gives all your ghosts an extra 1 health which is great also when combined with curse!
    Synergies:
    - Healing Touch: Use healing touch + King's Pride to keep Zhanna alive.
    - Ghostmaker: Bring back your EP or aeon with 2 health instead of 1. Can be just enough to last one more turn before you health the up with Zhanna or Healing touch.

Wizents Staff - only used when you get a horrible draw and you can't get a tainted out on turn 4. Rare, but it does happen. Be really careful to NOT overuse this card. Your card drawing engine is extremely large already, but your S.E. is a lot more valuable in the late game than cards, especially against rush mage decks, so just keep it in check. Sac this every time on turn 1 if you already have a tainted oracle in your hand when you start. That's all you'll need.

Ghostmaker - The combo card. Use this with tainted oracle for Shadow Era's best drawing engine. If you don't know exactly how this card is supposed to work, then play a game against me or watch my replays. Many people mis-use it. The key with this card is to know when to use it. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. As a general rule of thumb, make sure you have at least 1, preferably 2 tainted oracles in the graveyard. Do not clog up your graveyard with sandworms or aeon's. Never use ghost maker if your opponent has > 1 ally who can attack. The goal should be to get 2 uses out of it, resurrecting tainted oracle each time for a total of 6 cards. If you are lucky, you can get 3 uses out of it for 8 cards. If necessary, wait until you can clear the board with a tidal wave before using this card.
    Synergies:
    - Tainted Oracle: Main drawing engine
    - Earthen: Secondary drawing engine, securing the game with the Aeon + Earthen Protector lock combo.
    - Sandworm: Needs 3 hits to die after being brought back to life.
    - Focused Prayer: Destroy enemy armor before you use ghostmaker!!

Biggest Threats
    1) Wrath of the Forest. This card is your ultimate nemesis. It not only counters tidal wave, but it gives your opponent extra cards (bad) and hard counters ghost maker. Kill this top priority.

2) Tome of Knowledge. This card is the second biggest threat. You must destroy it to prevent mages from drawing too many cards.

3) Dagger of Unmaking. When they use it on T5 against your tainted, you may be in trouble. Luckily sand worm is immune to the effects.

4) Tainted Oracle. You don't really have a counter to this card. If your opponent plays it, try not to kill it. If they have 5+ cards in their hand, definitely kill it so you block their draw from getting larger.

5) Any armor. Blocks your ghost maker. Destroy it.

Turn 1 Sacrificing Order of preference
    - Multiple curses going against humans, sac curse first.
    - If you have tainted oracle + wizents, sac wizents.
    - Multiple tainted oracles, sac tainted oracle.
    - King's Pride
    - Aeon
    - Sandworm

Ideal turn
    - Turn 1, sac
    - Turn 2, sac
    - Turn 3, Curse / Smite (be sure to play smite even if there are no allies to unlock your hand!!)
    - Turn 4, Tainted Oracle / Wizent's Staff
    - Turn 5, sac (only use tidal if you couldn't get curse, and enemy has total of 5+ attack points)
    - Turn 6, Tidal if many enemies out, else sac + hold.
    - Turn 7, Ghostmaker / King's Pride if >1 enemy still on board.
    - Turn 8-10 - Wait for second tidal
    - Turn 11 - Double drop Aeon + Earthen.
    - Turn 12+ Just keep up the ghost maker on any allies in your graveyard and focus on board control only.

REMEMBER: Just because you can play a card doesn't mean you should.
    Last edited by yomaster; 05-22-2012 at 09:26 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    sorry for the verbosity! I hope it's not too much info, and I hope you all enjoy it as much as I do.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Great we have the second version. Have some testing to do this week. Cheers yoMaster.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Giving up early game. My zhanna was also going this way.

Very nice deck and write up. Will test for sure.
    Priest since 1992
    Screw meta, just go and f*****g kill it!
    Drunk and dangerous

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Now i like this class even more
    Trust yourself, you know more than you think you do.

Rubick
    The Grand Arsenal Magus of Rosh Pit
    Warrior of The Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

IGN|BP Rubick
    TG|@rubicklily

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Light0fHeaven View Post
    Now i like this class even more
    Let me know if you run into any problems with it. So far my win/loss ratio is about 85%. And about 50% of the time when I win, I win by a landslide.

If the meta changes back to more warriors and hunters, I may remove one EP, one sand worm, and one smite, and add 3 erika. Having both sand worm and erika is a pretty great combo because you can pick and choose which class to sac. So far though I have found sand worm is more universal because of its great sticking power and synergy with ghost maker (plus most people just freeze or cripple him, which is no threat at all with healing touch in your deck x4!)

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Very nice deck and write-up! Just out of curiosity, what rating are you playing at? Which heroes are you targeting since you mentioned it is against the Meta?

Still a little uncomfortable with only 2 Wizent since you would be in a pretty bad spot if you can't play a T4 draw engine.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Nice nice nice.. I love it. We are getting closer on this. My only different choices are retreats over smite and jasmine over sandworm. But maybe yours will be better. I should definitely look into the use of sandworms. Would you mind persuading me with smite over retreat and sandworm over jas?
    Shadow Era, ETC

Evolve Through Cooperation