Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Looking for input on my Jerhico deck

This is the first deck I have posted to the forums, so any constructive input will be absolutely welcomed.

http://shadowera.gondorian.com/deck1....4se193.2se165

The strategy is rather simple, I sacrifice all early game presence and focus on dominating mid game. My ideal situation is to allow my opponent to deplete his hand with early allies and to use a Tidal Wave to reset the field on turn 5, giving me hand size advantage. From there it is a simple matter to gain board control and eventually go on the offensive to win the game. My allies are all chosen for their board control abilities, and I have found that I have no need for damage acceleration allies such as Aldon the Brave. Retreat is used to buy myself a free turn when they drop a big baddie, or to spot-react to a variety of game states.

Focused Prayer is used as much as possible to destroy items that draw, such as Bazaar, Tome of Knowledge, or an opponent's Wizent's Staff. This strategy does periodically backfire against weapon decks who are able to play more items than I can destroy. I find that in these situations focusing on limiting the opponent's hand is still my best move, but it is often just not enough.

The King's Pride is almost always sacrificed when I see it early, even if I have to throw away both of them. When it does come up at the right time, I keep it in my hand to be used a finisher. It is also good in close games to mitigate damage and buy myself an extra turn.

My most questionable cards are Priest of the Light and Healing Touch. Both are great situationally, but I find myself sacrificing them more often than not. If I were to replace them my thought would be to go with some combination of Bad Santa and Ley Line Nexus, as my problems typically come from weapon decks or bad draws.

I've not yet come across an archetype that I find impossible to beat, but I have found some more difficult than others. I have also been outplayed and I have been outdrawn on a regular basis. At the 220 rating range I have been maintaining a win percentage around 70%, most of my losses coming to deck archetypes I have not seen before. That leads me to believe that I am on the right track with this deck, but I need more experience and some tweaks. I would love to hear from some others who have played priests in this style.
    Last edited by Orange Hat Guy; 05-17-2012 at 08:36 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    One great benefit to using this as my first competitive deck is that I get eased into the world of proper sacrificing. As I don't play anything before turn 3 ever, and usually not til turn 4, it makes it real easy to assess my opponent's deck and even out my hand by sacrificing the right cards, so when I do start acting it is with maximum efficiency.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Your main vulnerability with this strategy is rush decks (Eladwen rush in particular), they will deal damage to you in early game and finish you off with the spells. If you like a strategy of limiting the players hand, you may try Serena. Jericho used as a counter to attachment heavy decks (warriors), but warriors not very strong in this meta. Overall, Zhanna is better choice of a priest hero.

As to your deck my recommendations would be following: http://shadowera.gondorian.com/deck1....4se026.3se099

-1 Aeon +1 KP simply because it's too much Aeons (you won't play all 4 in match most likely) and if you want to get KP in time consistently, you should include 3, or if you find yourself not using it or sacrificing more often than not, you should get rid of it entirely.

Included Puwen simply because give up early game entirely and just suck up the damage until Tidal wave is not a good decision. Added Aldon simply because killing ally is better than crippling it most of the times, trust me.

Smite instead of healing touch simply in case if you need some help in board control.

Dropped Marshland Sentinels because you have Wirzent's Staff already to drain your SE with Marshland you won't be able to use your ability at all, so what's the point in hero card then?
    Scrupulous Ash Collector of the Blue Phoenix.
    Warriors of the Blue Phoenix

Greatness, Reborn

Shadow Era Network - Shadow Era community hub.

Quote Originally Posted by BDK16 View Post
    You're the best Unruler!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Bhleg View Post
    No one know FS better than you, our King of FS.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Unruler View Post
    Your main vulnerability with this strategy is rush decks (Eladwen rush in particular), they will deal damage to you in early game and finish you off with the spells. If you like a strategy of limiting the players hand, you may try Serena. Jericho used as a counter to attachment heavy decks (warriors), but warriors not very strong in this meta. Overall, Zhanna is better choice of a priest hero.

As to your deck my recommendations would be following: http://shadowera.gondorian.com/deck1....4se026.3se099

-1 Aeon +1 KP simply because it's too much Aeons (you won't play all 4 in match most likely) and if you want to get KP in time consistently, you should include 3, or if you find yourself not using it or sacrificing more often than not, you should get rid of it entirely.

Included Puwen simply because give up early game entirely and just suck up the damage until Tidal wave is not a good decision. Added Aldon simply because killing ally is better than crippling it most of the times, trust me.

Smite instead of healing touch simply in case if you need some help in board control.

Dropped Marshland Sentinels because you have Wirzent's Staff already to drain your SE with Marshland you won't be able to use your ability at all, so what's the point in hero card then?
    +1
    Team Juggernaut's Boastful Warrior!
    Insert witty comment here, Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Wanna try your hand at some of the hardest riddles known to man? See my thread of riddles!
    Wanna see some awesome decks? See my complete deck list! (all heroes)
    Wanna be a Juggernaut? Start by applying for TJX

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    In my experience so far mages have not been a problem. I'll have a bad game here or there but I very consistently beat mage decks of all types. Jericho has been a significant reason for that, since I can usually just sit at 3-4 SP and use his effect once a game at an opportune moment to spring an ally from a freeze. I can see where Zhanna would be useful but when my deck works as intended it typically uses the Hero effect only once, and in my opinion the versatility of Jericho's effect is more useful than 3 health in most games.

I wouldn't mind losing an Aeon, but the KP has been working out exactly as I want it to so I will keep it the same through the first round of tweaks. I want to explore my primary strategy for the time being, so while I respect and welcome your opinion I won't be adding Puwen. I can see where Aldon could come in handy though, I want to fit him in. I will say that having MS and WS in the same deck has not at all been problematic thus far, it simply caused me to make a choice in game. That said, I can see the value in replacing MS with Aldon so I'll give it a shot.

I still do like Healing Touch over Smite, in a vacuum. Sometimes I will wish I had the other but I've tried Smite before and it never was a game changer. I'm sure I'll fit it in again sometime though, it is a great card.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Here's the updated decklist that I will be testing with tonight. I will try going back and forth between Healing Touch and Smite for the sake of comparison. Thanks for all the help so far, keep it coming!

http://shadowera.gondorian.com/deck1....2se160.2se157

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    King's Pride is slow janky garbage. You should be running some combination of Puwens and Blakes to total 7 2 drops. Healing touch just isn't an impressive card. Bad Santa is totally unnecessary and should be cut.

Overall I'd say -2 KP, - 2 Healing Touch, -2 Bad Santa, -2 Lay Line Nexus, + 7 2 drops, +1 Aeon. You don't need 6 item destruction since you should have enough allies to wear down weapons and armor. Save your prayers for important cards, and also I can't stress how little KP does.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Unfan View Post
    I can't stress how little KP does.
    Just wins you games?
    Scrupulous Ash Collector of the Blue Phoenix.
    Warriors of the Blue Phoenix

Greatness, Reborn

Shadow Era Network - Shadow Era community hub.

Quote Originally Posted by BDK16 View Post
    You're the best Unruler!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Bhleg View Post
    No one know FS better than you, our King of FS.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I've played so many games as a warrior (I dont play priests but I suspect the same would be true) where KP turned the game around, but your allies are mostly fatties already so I'm not sure if you really need it. I think replacing the 2 aeons with two earthen protectors is better - that way you can play the aeon - EP combo without having duplicate aeons stuck in your hand.
    Wanderer of Worlds
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

IGN: BP NickOh
    IRC: [BP]nickoh

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Just wins you games?
    Only ones you're already winning. Between Tidal Wave, Retreat, and having better allies than your opponent you shouldn't ever be in a position where it swings the game.