Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    DMT works as should. death trap only kills. kills is a keyword that can only be intiated if the ally is in play. the means death trap does not intercept the summon; and since the 1 damage ping is an allowance granted by the act of the summon, the ping does not get intercepted either.
    Last edited by Ekoz; 05-15-2012 at 08:20 PM.
    85-Card mini-set: Gate of the Steelbound.

So you want to take a poll? ∙ Affectionate TVTransvestite TwinRacist CowBag of Dicks

The pen is mightier than the sword, but actions speak louder than words.
    Knowledge is Power, Power Corrupts.
    Sometimes a little chaos is in order.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by BlanketEffect View Post
    Summoned = A ) comes from your hand, and B ) enters play onto the board

In Shadow Era, something is not "summoned" until you've paid the costs involved, and that ally being brought into play hits the board. As such, when DMT is "summoned" you've paid his cost, he is being put onto the board, and as a result of hitting the board, his "summoned" ability triggers. If a Death Trap were in play, then DMT hitting the board (and hence, completing the conditions for being "summoned") would trigger Death Trap's ability, which will resolve after the active player's card ability.

This is the same reason that Belladonna lets you draw a card before getting killed by Death Trap. She isn't killed in some mystical limbo between your hand and the board. She hits, you draw, and the trap kills her. DMT's ability is no different, other than instead of drawing a card, you choose a target to damage.
    +10

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I see everyone's point (I believe).

The hardest part to understand was the use of word "TO BE" summoned, rather than simple past tense "SUMMONED" on the Death trap. If the latter wording was used, you would assume basically the card has been summoned i.e. entered the field, and now summon action is complete; therefore, DMT, Lily, Dark Knight or whichever ally has the summoning effect should indeed make sense to have those effect taken place before they get killed.

By using the "TO BE" it makes sound like

- It is about TO BE summoned.
    - It is scheduled TO BE summoned.
    - It is waiting TO BE summoned.
    - It is hoping TO BE summoned.

I.e. It just sound like referring to the phase JUST before the summon. This is important distinction in the future proof for the game ever needing intercept effect i.e. between the phase of CARD going off of your hand and it is on the board.

So for now, I can convince myself with following diagram (sort of reverse engineering based on what all are saying)

So what's happening here is essentially you are intercepting between Second (Green) Phase and Third (Purple) Phase. All three are essentially initiation of summon to end of summon.

The major issue with current text and this assumption is essentially effect taking place after 3rd phase and between 2nd and 3rd phase WILL never (seems to me) be different i.e. sort of wasted phase effect.

If we need the effect between Phase 1 and Phase i.e. cancel effect as well as summon process entirely, I guess we will need to have cards specifically state both i.e. Next opposing summoning creature will have its summoning ability be disabled and killed.

But this is where my confusion/concern came from. (If this make sense).

Thanks for all for trying to explain
    Last edited by houshasen; 05-15-2012 at 11:44 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Yes, I can see, if English is not your native language, how various uses/forms of "to be" can be ridiculously confusing.

Stupid, hyper-complex amalgamate of other languages!
    -Doctor of Philosophy, A1 Alliance - Evolution in theory
    Original designer of the Serena Superdraw® archetype; connoisseur of all things un-meta

Santa Bomb ©2011, Lamb Slam & Feedbomb ©2012 - All rights reserved

Zaladar - ZTC 3.0: The Feedbomb Dynamo <-- An iconic deck in Shadow Era history - SE v1.5

Listen to past episodes of State of the Era: a dialogue on all things Shadow Era, brought to you by Alliance One

We are all one mind, capable of all imagined, and all conceivable.