Close

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks.

I have revised my purchasing strategy a little anyway. Once I thought about it, I came to the same conclusion. If I get the Mage (and Shadow Mage) sets, I can sell the 4+ and pocket the rest. This can help save shopping time. I'm not worried about playing, I can keep playing and playing, like the energizer bunny!

Until I know the game better, I will be sticking to Mage Heroes, mostly so I don't confuse myself. This may gimp me against some opponents, but from what I can tell, the game is fairly balanced.

All of this brings up another set of questions:
    1. When I level, is this account wide, or per hero?
    2. Is there a way to start back from level 0 keeping the same account? If leveling is per hero, will I start back from level 0 is I sell my hero, then repurchase them?
    3. How, when, why, and where do I play other people (PvP), is this what challenges are for?
    4. How high does the AI go, does it go on forever?
    5. What are the benefits of leveling, is there more options opened up later, different cards, etc.?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Trasd

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Yeah, that is the best approach. Once you have all the mage cards you want, it's easier to move into other shadow or human classes, since you already have some base cards from the mage decks.

1. Your level is account wide.
    2. You can start over, but you lose any cards / crystals / gold you have so far. Not worth it unless it's very early and you are stuck with a bad starting hero.
    3. Challenge is the area for PVP. There are two options, Quick Game and Create Game. In theory Quick Game will pair you up with someone of equal skill. Create game allows you to set a password for a friend to join (does not change your rating)
    4. The AI goes on forever, but doesn't get any better after Level 5? (I can't remember the exact level, someone I am sure will correct me.)
    5. There is no benefits to leveling besides the crystals you get from each level and the gold you get from winning games. There is going to be an enhanced single player campaign at some point, so your level may come in to effect there, and they have talked about single player specific cards.

I'd say jump in the deepend and play some PvP. It sounds like you have everything you need to make a decent mage deck, you are probably better off grinding PVP to help improve your skills and game sense. You also get more gold for winning in PVP. The AI makes a lot of silly moves, there is a limit to what you can learn playing against it, and that limit is pretty low. The more games you play against others the better equipped you are to know how to play against all the different playstyles and heroes.
    Hatts - A1's Mad Hatter - A1 alliance - Evolution in Theory.
    Regularly idling on the #shadowera IRC channel

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    To further answer your questions:

1. When you level, it's for your account, not your hero.
    2. When you reset, you lose everything but get to choose a new starter hero and you get 500 gold (You lose all you get first). I think you also keep experience, so it might be best not to reset, except if you made some hopelessly bad choices. I'm not sure about this point though, so if someone can confirm this, that would be nice.
    3. Yes, challenges are for playing against other players. When you open challenges, you can see search, which will have you input a player name, and it'll show all games of that player. You see 'create game', that's where you can create a game with a password for when you want to play with a friend, or with someone you met on IRC, for example for a tournament or so. Then Quick Match, which is the most used feature, sets up a game with someone else. The nice thing is that it sets you up with someone of roughly your own rating. The rating system isn't perfect though, so once you play with it for a while, you'll see why. Especially the ratings tend to screw up a little over time.
    4. The highest the AI goes is to 40 gold and 200 experience. After that, it deck will remain unchanged even when leveling up.
    5. The only benefit of leveling so far is that it gives you shadow crystals. Other than that, it's quite irrelevant.

iClipse

Argh, that's the second time I get ninja'd in this thread! Damn you Hatts!
    iClipse - A1's Twilight Manipulator - A1 : Evolution in Theory
    Part of PFG

• My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too.

• Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

• With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.

• I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not sure.

• A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by iClipse View Post
    Argh, that's the second time I get ninja'd in this thread! Damn you Hatts!
    LOL.... Twice the response is better than none, we'll smother Trasd with A1 hospitality.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatts View Post
    LOL.... Twice the response is better than none, we'll smother Trasd with A1 hospitality.
    Haha, good point. Let's do that
    iClipse - A1's Twilight Manipulator - A1 : Evolution in Theory
    Part of PFG

• My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too.

• Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

• With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.

• I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not sure.

• A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Edited because "A1 HOSPITALITY NINJA ATTACK!" doesn't have the same effect when the forums keep de-caps-ing it

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks again! Part of what makes this game so easy to learn (rules, not strategy) is getting my questions answered so quickly.

Hatts, I'm still not ready to take the plunge. I'm not happy with my deck yet (actually, even though I'm getting the cards for two decks, I'm only concentrating on Humans), but I just went and earned 400+ crystals, so hopefully I will have it ready soon. Then I need to learn what some of the cards do - it seems to me some of them have undocumented effects - and how to use them. Of course a lot of that will go out the window when I see how experienced players play!

Only then will I venture into PvP waters and then further tweak my deck (fine tuning).

Some (hopefully) final questions:
    1. If I am understanding everyone and everything right, the Quick Game option is the only way to play a ranked game, is this right?
    2. Instead of a "private" passworded game, can an "open" game be setup that anyone can join (as a way to practice or try out new ideas without it affecting your rank)?

Trasd

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    1. Yep!

2. Nope, currently the only way to play unranked matches is if the joining person knows the password. We've had quite a lot of requests going to the devs for an unranked QM, so they're aware we'd like one, but I'm not sure exactly where it falls in their priority list for features.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Also in the challenge screen you can watch other players games by clicking on a game in progress. This can help you learn about more cards and what is popular to play. You can also search for some of the highest ranked players and watch their last 30 games using the same method.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatts View Post
    Also in the challenge screen you can watch other players games by clicking on a game in progress. This can help you learn about more cards and what is popular to play. You can also search for some of the highest ranked players and watch their last 30 games using the same method.
    LMAO! I was actually going to ask if there was a spectator feature, but figured there wasn't and I did want to embarrass myself with a silly question. I guess I should have gone with my first instinct.

Trasd