Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Gwen Stall/Trap Deck

So, after returning to the game after over a year, I noticed they added in some new traps. Ever since i started playing the game, I've wanted to make a solid trap deck, but with Net Trap and Death Trap being the only trap cards (and costing different amounts, no less), it was pretty much impossible. I took another stab at it, and I've had pretty good success so far, I'd say I've been winning about 75% of games.

Here it is:

1 x Gwenneth Truesight

3 x Lily Rosecult

3 x Poison Arrow
    3 x Rapid Fire
    3 x Death Trap
    4 x Into the Forest
    3 x Net Trap
    4 x Bazaar
    3 x Ley Line Nexus
    4 x Soul Seeker
    3 x Rolling Boulders
    3 x Snare Trap
    3 x Enchanted Forest

The basic strategy is obviously control until getting Rapid Fire and Soul Seeker, then go straight for the hero. Most allies will either be dead or disabled long enough to finish your opponent off with 4 to 8 damage per turn. If they actually somehow manage to get enough allies down that it's a threat, pop some Into the Forest and it's a done deal.

I read somewhere that Enchanted Forest isn't used much in competitive play, but I find it absolutely essential! Play them right before your Soul Seekers and you've got a counter for item destruction. Or, as is more common, it holds off Mage nuke decks from doing too much damage before you've set up your Rapid Fire/Soul Seeker combo.

Lily Rosecult is there for emergencies. If I only get one Soul Seeker and its durability runs out, Lily gets it back for me. Or no Soul Seekers but a Mage is hammering you hard? Use Lily to loop Enchanted Forests. Most often she's used just to get Soul Seekers back, but she's a good source of backup damage if required as well.

Ley Line Nexus gets rid of those annoying armours that get in the way of my arrows.

I've had a TON of fun playing this deck so far, so I thought I'd share and ask for thoughts and suggestions! In particular I would love to not have to rely on Bazaar for card draw. I considered Tainted Oracle instead but it costs so many resources...but I really do need to make sure I have Rapid Fire/Soul Seeker in hand by turn 5.
    Back from the dead...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Further play-testing makes it clear that card draw is the primary problem. Any game where I don't get a Bazaar down second turn ends with me playing off the top of my deck, and unless I get those Soul Seekers I'm screwed.

I'm wondering if the deck would benefit from some Beetle Demon Bow instead of perhaps Death Trap or Rolling Boulders. This would increase the likelihood of getting a bow when I need it (and having some left over if some are destroyed) and could be used as creatures should the need arise (although the 4 cost is an unfortunate weakness against Boris).
    Back from the dead...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    survivalist?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Oooo, this is a card I did not yet know about! Thanks ill_dawg, that should help immensely. I assume that gets triggered when traps are sprung too yes?
    Back from the dead...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Codepunk View Post
    Oooo, this is a card I did not yet know about! Thanks ill_dawg, that should help immensely. I assume that gets triggered when traps are sprung too yes?
    Yes, traps and destroyed/consumed bows both trigger it. The only trap that does not trigger it is snare trap as the trap and ally are 'removed from play', not sent to graveyard.

i've tried survivalist paired up with meltdown. it draws lots of cards but the tempo is pretty bad. You may want to find a way to get Grundlers Double into your deck. Synergizes well with limited allies, penetrates stealth, and has one extra durability to start with.
    IGN: E2E BallyWorld
    Common Hero: Victor, Serena, and Gwyn

Resident Sapper and Proud Member of E2E: Enlisted to Endure.

"For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found." Luke 15:24
    "This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus." Romans 3:22-24

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    That's true, might be a better option than Beetle Demon Bow actually. I've found that turning it into a creature is really a waste of shadow energy better spent on Gwen's ability.

Played a few games with Survivalist and it only actually got activated once. Debating getting rid of Snare Trap and putting Death Trap back in. Then I'll replace Beetle Demon Bow with Grundler's Double. We'll see how that goes!
    Back from the dead...