Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

New guy, first real deck

I started the first few days grinding gold to learn the mechanics of the game using Boris. I quickly found myself wanting to try a Mage hero.

So I bought some shadow crystals and made a deck. I've been mostly playing the computer (super easy) and tried about 4 pvp matches.

3-1 W/L

I'd like some help with what I put together because I feel like I'm missing a certain 'oomph' in the 2cc-3cc area and can't seem to decide what next to do (play a new hero? lol)

1x Gravebone
    4x Firesnake
    4x Brutalis
    4x Infernal Gargoyle
    4x Belladonna
    4x Plasma Behemoth
    2x Ogloth
    3x Fireball
    4x Lightning strike
    2x Super Nova
    4x Tome of Knowledge
    4x Sever ties

My basic strategy has been to sacrifice duplicates early in the hand. If by turn 2 I have a Brutalis and a Tome in my hand, I will sac the Tome and play the ally. Is this generally speaking, good or bad strat (too situational to say?)? My thought is that establishing draw early is not necessary with Belladonna likely coming up and a need to cast rather than dig for more cards during turns 2-5.

The PB is the key to the deck, I've found. If I am confident I can get 1 or 2 PB on the board, I will sac fireballs rather than use them for ally control.

Thoughts?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I would say establishing a draw engine by turn 4 is pretty important. So either turn 2 Tome or turn 4 Tome + draw. It is very hard to win a game of Shadow Era while drawing less than him. Mages can make up for the lost board control with their direct damage spell so you can take the tempo hit. Bella should be seen as a 'in-case-you-don't-draw-Tome' emergency card. It will most likely die the turn after you cast it, giving the same cost-effect as a turn 4 Tome without the potential additional cards.

As for the rest of the deck. 3cc allies are considered a key part of the current format. Most shadow decks will run 4 Gargs and 3-4 DMTs. Bad Wolf can also work with Gravebone. You definitely need more than 4.

Plasma Behemoth is key for Gravebone. One of his strongest play is T5 PB. If your opponent can't kill him, you most likely have the upper hand. If your opponent throws everything at him then on turn 6 you can, Supernova to wipe the board and use your ability to revive PB, or cast another PB/Ogloth and revive the 1st one for double the fun. Thus, you would likely need at the very least 3 Novas. It has a big drawback (5 damage) but as a mage you need to learn to use it effectively.

Fireballs are pretty auto-4 in mage decks. It's a great offensive and defensive card.

Server Ties is good to uncripple your allies but 4 is bit much. I would go for 2, max 3.

My take on your deck:
    -4 Fire Snake
    -2 Belladona
    -2 Sever Ties
    +3 DMT
    +2 Bad Wolf
    +2 Supernova
    +1 Fireball

Edit: Realized you have no item destruction. While it's not necessary, a Dagger of Unmaking will ruin your day. -2 Bad Wolf +2 Acid Jet (or Ley Line Nexus, which ever you prefer)
    Last edited by FDL; 04-26-2012 at 06:07 PM.
    FDL TV!

Channel | Thread | Twitter
    Deck Techs, Game Commentary, Replay Analysis and more!

FDL Tips: The Metagame, Balance and You || Empty Hands
    LL Decklists: Serena || Elementalis

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks for the thoughts Fou DeLile.

The one loss I had so far was to an Amber Rain hero using Berserker's Edge. You're exactly right that item destruction can be a problem, the hero weapons cost me the game. I've been eying DMT, looks like a great card. Regarding LLN, I guess I should shoot for maybe 2 LLN and 2 ST - ?

Also, in dropping the Fire Snakes, should I assume I don't need/want a 1cc drop in the first round? Interesting as I thought 1cc drops were important, perhaps I am mistaken.

edit to add: Would Acid Jet be a better fit than LLN, given the 1cc difference?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Acid Jet vs LLN - Acid Jet only targets weapons and armors, LLN can target any 5-cc item. On average, most played 5 or higher cc items are all weapons and armors, and most 4-cc or lower items are not weapons/armors. There are exceptions to this, like Jeweller's Dream (4-cc weapon) and others that Acid Jet is more overall useful against, but it is also not as immediate as a LLN and doesn't replace itself (you draw a card when you use LLN).

I would suggest trying both and see which one you find more useful, but if you only want to buy one, I would go with LLN as any deck you make can use it.
    Harakhte - A1's Esoteric Egyptian Enigma
    www.a1-alliance.org - "Evolution in Theory"

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Yeah, LLN is pretty useful overall.

I don't use Fire Snake much. They can have a place in decks that will benefit from their death though (Soul Reaper, Ogloth, Wrath of the Forest, etc.) or the extra one damage (Majiya, Zaladar but Brutalis does a better job or surviving until the 3cc allies come in). You do have Ogloth, so if you manage to boost him with you snakes, keep them but otherwise I wouldn't hold on to them.

1cc allies can be useful. In all out rush decks full of weenies (1,2,3cc allies) that aim to strike early and often or as utility allies (Kris and Birgitte can have a pretty big impact on the game despite their low cost when played in the right situation). The trouble with your deck is that if you go FS, Brute, Garg when going first, you end turn 3 with three low attack allies (if FS survived) on the board and only 2 cards in your hand. If one of them is a Plasma Behemoth, your options are pretty narrow. Simple answer, getting an ally out on turn 1 is not mandatory.
    FDL TV!

Channel | Thread | Twitter
    Deck Techs, Game Commentary, Replay Analysis and more!

FDL Tips: The Metagame, Balance and You || Empty Hands
    LL Decklists: Serena || Elementalis

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Those are good points, thank you for replying.

I tried modifying a bit and had moderate success last night. Taking the changes I made last night in stride, I modified further this morning and look forward to testing out later.

So right now my updated Gravebone starting deck is the following:

1x Gravebone
    4x Plasma Behemoth
    4x Belladonna
    3x Death Mage Thaddeus
    2x Ogloth
    4x Fireball
    4x Lightning Strike
    4x Nova
    4x Tome of Knowledge
    4x Clinging Webs
    2x Shriek
    2x Sever Ties
    2x LLN

What do you think of these changes?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I really like the direction of your changes overall, big improvement, imo. The addition of Shrieks and LLN will especially be a big help to you, for sure!

However, I do notice a couple things. 4x Nova, while some players do advocate it, is sight overkill to me. You will very, very, very rarely need to cast more than 2 in a game (taking 15 dmg to yourself makes you lose more often than not), and 3x is typically enough that you can draw them in time. Also, you are really weak in the 3cc ally department. Missing an ally drop on turn 3 can cost games, especially going second.

My advice would be to go -1 Nova -1 Clinging Web -2 Belladonna for +4 Infernal Gargoyle. This should really add to the consistency of your deck and boost your overall effectiveness by quite a bit!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    In addition to NinjaDucky's reasoning, Belladonna is really best employed with either Portal or Shadow Knights, and usually both. She's just too easy to kill from so many different combinations before she will get a hit in that w/o Portal to Haste her, and SK to bring her back to hand next turn, she doesn't provide too much.
    Harakhte - A1's Esoteric Egyptian Enigma
    www.a1-alliance.org - "Evolution in Theory"

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think, after removing the original Gargoyles I had in the deck that was I under-estimating Gargoyle's usefulness. Gargs usually last longer than Bella in game. I do see the lack of 3cc allies as a potential issue in tempo/control.

Belladonna is definitely not as powerful as I was thinking she is, those 2 life go down fast. It makes sense to lower the amount by 1 or 2, same with the other suggestions (-1 Nova, -1 CW). I find myself having 2 Nova in hand when I don't need 2..

Again many thanks for the thoughts.
    Last edited by KingRao; 04-27-2012 at 04:43 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Final version, before I went to a new deck altogether. Now I am trying Eldawen.

Anywho, as a newb, I had great success with this deck.

1x Gravebone
    4x Infernal Gargoyle
    3x DMT
    4x Plasma Behemoth
    2x Ogloth
    4x Fireball
    4x Lightning strike
    3x Super Nova
    2x Freezing Grip
    3x Clinging Webs
    4x Tome of Knowledge
    2x Sever ties
    2x Acid Jet
    2x Shriek

__________________________________________________ ____

And in case any of you like to follow a newb as he tries building decks, this is what I am running now. So far it's working well, though I am testing the 3cc allies. I think Aldon, while great, is too much of a target and I don't like how it modifies my tempo. After dropping Aldon, I'm trying PotL and am tempted to go with Jasmine instead. I've found that I really like the Marshland ability, not sure if Jas is redundant or will help keep pressure up.

1x Eldawen
    3x Priest of the Light
    4x Marshland Sentinel
    3x Sandworm
    3x Aeon
    4x Fireball
    4x Lightning
    4x Tome
    2x Nova
    1x Arcane Burst
    2x Webs
    3x Retreat