Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

OMFG How to give yourself MORE* time in game

Heyy, glencocoe here. If anyone knows me, you'll know I'm not a scrub, but while I'm not a scrub, I still make stupid mistakes that effect the game in a bad way (for myself). I decided to make this after I made an embarrassingly stupid timer-fail, and failed to use Lightning-strike on t4, thus losing the game....i would list the game, but I won't. It's too embarrassing. So insteeeaaad, just like pyrogene did in a post a while ago, I'm going to give a couple elementary tips everyone should keep in mind to allow max timer utilization. So when I say "more" time, I don't mean a hack, I mean being smart. Let's begin:

1. Sit on your hand) a very profound, yet overlooked element to bettering your game. Sometimes it's easy to get caught up in the, "omg, what-is-he-gonna-play" mode & just stare at the opponents hand hoping they don't play what you're probably thinking they'll play. Don't do that. I'm very guilty of it. Instead, as soon as the camera shifts over, look @ YOUR cards & decide what you're going to do regardless of the next card coming. Obviously if the card is better, you'll have to re-evaluate the sacrifice choice, but even so, it'll be much faster. Think of this like chess. You don't just sit there staring at the opponent, you're always thinking about your move. Remember, it's your game, your opponent just happens to be playing it.

2. Ability first - if available) i don't know many situations where ability is best used out of initial actions (except perhaps zhanna's healing), but if you already know you're going to use an ability, just use it. Don't wait. Especially helpful for Majiya.

3. Draw - if possible) sometime resources don't allow for draw. Sometimes they do. Tome of knowledge is the best example. With 7 resources, it's best to use draw before anything else. Bad Santa too. If you have IGG, then throw it down when you see fit.

4. damaging abilities first - if ability unavailable) this should be fairly obvious. If you have a gargoyle & a fireball against an opposing gargoyle, pelt the enemy first, then finish with your ally.

5. Attack - after abilities) attack their allies or hero.

So with that in mind, you should have OODLES of time to do mean things to your opponents. Alrighty, stay classy.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I'll add to these tips by saying:
    1) never play when your wife is in close proximity....as inevitably she will ask a random question at a point in your play where you can make a stupid mistake e.g. When in World cup match when I sacced the very card I needed to play because she asked my opinion on a table she wanted to buy! I could have cried...and went on to lose that game.

2) never play on iPad with a young child in your lap.....as they like to press buttons. I can't tell u the number of times I've made what appears to be random rubbish moves because my 2 year old pressed an attack button or similar....or distracted me enough so that I timed out.
    "I'll have you know I have the reflexes of a cat, and the speed of a mongoose"

LEGEND of TEAM JUGGERNAUTS

Recent accolades: season 5, finalist (top 8). UK streetfigher, Conquerors Bane runner-up.
    Immortalised as Flavour Winner for "Smoke Screen". Conceal, Confuse, and Obscure.

Link to irc: http://shadowera.gondorian.com/gamechat/

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongoosey View Post
    1) never play when your wife is in close proximity....as inevitably she will ask a random question at a point in your play where you can make a stupid mistake e.g. When in World cup match when I sacced the very card I needed to play because she asked my opinion on a table she wanted to buy! I could have cried...and went on to lose that game.
    +1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    I was soundly defeated by b0hater 1-2. Nicely done!
    Team Juggernauts ELDER
    Winner of TLOTpSGR 1.28 Tournament
    PFGs member

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    +9001

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by glencocoe View Post
    stare at the opponents hand hoping they don't play what you're probably thinking they'll play. Don't do that. I'm very guilty of it. Instead, as soon as the camera shifts over, look @ YOUR cards
    I would like to add, for those with weak stomachs, pop a Gravol or two to combat the nausea you may experience from the camera swinging wildly to look at your opponent's hand, now back to yours, now back at their hand, and back to yours. Look again, your hand is now diamonds!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    In a mirror of Glen's first point "Sit on your hand(s)", this also means to not get caught up in your own plan for the turn that you forget any of the other points listed. Something I have done too many times is decide a course of action, then when it ticks over to my turn I'm in such a hurry to put my awesome plan into action I do silly things like skipping sac phase and then wonder why I don't have enough resources to pull off my plan.

I try to keep a mental check-list running through my head when I play: Evaluate drawn card(s); Decide if/what to sac; Use draw-engine if available/Evaluate drawn card(s); Order of priority for ability, spells, allies; Review board position after my plays; End turn.
    Harakhte - A1's Esoteric Egyptian Enigma
    www.a1-alliance.org - "Evolution in Theory"

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    If:

Then:

In a mirror of Glen's first point "Sit on your hand(s)", this also means to not get caught up in your own plan for the turn that you forget any of the other points listed. Something I have done too many times is decide a course of action, then when it ticks over to my turn I'm in such a hurry to put my awesome plan into action I do silly things like skipping sac phase and then wonder why I don't have enough resources to pull off my plan.
    Even if you don't think a distraction is a distraction - it's a distraction and crap happens. :P
    Acolytes of A1.
    Oderint Dum Metuant.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by glencocoe View Post
    2. Ability first - if available) i don't know many situations where ability is best used out of initial actions (except perhaps zhanna's healing), but if you already know you're going to use an ability, just use it. Don't wait. Especially helpful for Majiya.
    I don't quite get this one. Why would a Zhanna wait for her 3 health?
    [--->] Slide to scratch screen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I open 9gag in another window...

Sorry everyone i played against to keep you waiting.. but its mainly cz u'r slow

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

1) never play when your wife is in close proximity....as inevitably she will ask a random question at a point in your play where you can make a stupid mistake.

Or she will have a task for you, like taking out the trash or killing a bug, that has to be done right then and there....
    SHADOW ERA, ETC
    Enjoy Trading Card-games