Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

New Concept -- Wield and Suit Up (now with card art!)

So, I’ll admit that I’m relatively new to this game, so some of these ideas (especially the card suggestions themselves) might be a little imbalanced. The idea behind Wield and Suit Up is to allow allies to attach weapons and armor as if they were heroes!

The Advantages:

• Allies that attach a weapon gain base attack equal to the weapon’s attack value.
    • Allies that attach an armor gain damage reduction in combat equal to the defense value of the armor.
    • The ally (and not your hero) would receive all of the benefits the item can provide as if that ally were a hero. (Sounding familiar so far? Here’s the change.)
    • There is no longer any durability loss from a Wielded or Suited item. Why, might you ask? The advantage to removing durability loss would give a second life to an item that may be headed towards the GY.
    • You could now potentially have multiple weapons and armors out at once. It's the main incentive to Wield and Suit Up.

The Disadvantages:
    • Killing off specific allies or chunks of them at once is fairly easy to do (much more so than items, I would wager), so destroying an ally that has an item attached wouldn’t be too difficult (and it help keep the mechanic balanced).
    • The item would retain its status as an item but also gain the status of an attachment, thus making it easier to destroy (at least open up a few more possibilities anyway).
    • Unless a card otherwise states it, all items must be equipped by a hero (or another ally) before it can be Wielded or Suited. So usually you’d just be spending resources to shift things around a little in hopes that you can get multiple weapons out at once. It may work to your advantage, it may make you lose a weapon faster than you wanted.
    • Unless otherwise noted, allies can’t have more than one weapon and armor attached (just like heroes). This, I suppose, isn’t really a disadvantage, but it needed mentioning somewhere.

Here are some example cards:

Grave Robber

Image by Tomas Valo

Weapon Master

Images by Chickeny-Evil and Brant Powell

Guardian Angel

Image by Christin Zakh

Pickpocket

Image by feliciacano

So, like I said, the numbers on these cards could probably use some adjusting, but they can be a vehicle for getting my idea across to you. Tell me what you think! Help me refine this! Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by trashbocks; 04-24-2012 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Added Card Images

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I figure this would be less of a shameless bump if I took out the text descriptions and put in some made-up card images in an effort to get more comments.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks for the nice submission with art and all! Certainly interesting.
    Raz (Sebastian)
    Creative Game Designer
    --
    (Was once a member of the Wulven Design-Team)

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    There are reasons why an earlier design team (and I believe the opinion is still the same) stated that it would never be possible to have multiple weapons on the board at the same time. Think about it - do you want a mage to Dagger of Unmaking your ally, and then you replay your ally right into a Voice of Winter, while the mage can still use Dagger of Unmaking? Or how about a combo of Ghostmaker and Mournblade? Multiple Soul Seekers?
    Congratulations to Preybird for designing my Avatar!

In Game Handle: Warr Byrd

Contributions to the Game:
    Flavor text for Wild Berserker: The odds are always in my favor
    PFG3: To Be Released Soon™

Tournament Wins: None, I'm Timmy Johnny not Spike!

Shout out to Gondorian, nerull7, Nikola D, plo, Preybird, Super Grover, and Zhou86 for submitting potential avatars!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Guardian Angel actually looks like a real SE card, nice job.

I like the idea you've come up with. Its interesting for sure and could add a lot of stratagy. However, as stated by Warr Byrd, there is a reason only one weapon can be on the field at once.

I'm not against the idea of having some sort of Equipment card that could be attached to allys though. Something like:

2cc Light Blade:

Allies Equipped with Light Blade have Defender.

0: Target ally with Sword type damage is Equipped with Light Blade.

Attack: +1
    Durability: 2
    Was the Leader of Acolytes of A1

A1's Dimensional Eyes in the Sky
    A1 Alliance: Evolution in Theory
    PFG3 Leader

Was Shadow Era Community Manager

Sota, The Switch Axe Monster Hunter

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
    "Humans fight to secure peace as they envision it. The trouble is, everyone's vision is different." - Ringabel

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Wow, that was quick

Quote Originally Posted by Warr Byrd View Post
    Think about it - do you want a mage to Dagger of Unmaking your ally, and then you replay your ally right into a Voice of Winter, while the mage can still use Dagger of Unmaking? Or how about a combo of Ghostmaker and Mournblade? Multiple Soul Seekers?
    What I see as being the major problem with simply just having two (or three or however many) weapons/armors out right now is the fact that item destruction is kind of hard to come by (unless you're Ter Adun). Not many decks have a wide variety of consistent item destruction. What I like about my idea is that the trade off for the potential awesome combos you just mentioned is the fact that in order to pull it off you must be reliant on allies. Not just any allies, but good ones that don't die to the bajillion different ways you can kill off an ally in this game. So, sure, you may get a sweet DoU/Voice of Winter combo going, but it's on thin ice. Kill off the ally and its done; there goes all the resources you set up to get it running. Essentially, there's great risk (on purpose) in Wielding or Suiting Up, but there's great reward to be had, too.

Honestly, the biggest problem I see for something like this is not that you can have some wicked-awesome lockdown combo in the armors and weapons but rather that Protectors can make it potentially difficult to break up. (Funny that one of the cards I made up was a Protector, now isn't it?) Imagine you have your Voice of Winter on a Weapon Master who's sitting under Aeon's protection, and then you drop your DoU. While not impossible to solve, it's a little more taxing outside of something like a Tidal Wave. You could fix this by simply introducing a Destroy-All-Items type of card. Something like that wouldn't be too terribly misplaced even outside of current gameplay.
    Last edited by trashbocks; 04-23-2012 at 10:41 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    This Russian artist graphic its amaizing. She should work for your team! Christin Zakh ofcourse

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    all rise the honorable judge guardians oath + shadow knight is presiding.

at least got to give human hunters a card like grave robber so that they can counter with guardians oath + raven or soulseeker + aeon
    so it becomes hunter era instead of shadow hunter era

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    If you want allies to carry weapons/armors, you need to design ally specific items. And they will suck because we have Reinforced Armor and Inner Strength/Extra Sharp already. Nobody uses them.
    Scrupulous Ash Collector of the Blue Phoenix.
    Warriors of the Blue Phoenix

Greatness, Reborn

Shadow Era Network - Shadow Era community hub.

Quote Originally Posted by BDK16 View Post
    You're the best Unruler!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Bhleg View Post
    No one know FS better than you, our King of FS.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    The Guardian Angel and Pickpocket art is pretty nice. In general, it would be awesome with angel themed cards in SE (and vampires, elves, goblins, spirits, zombies, etc. etc.).