Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Blacklight: Retribution

http://blacklight.perfectworld.com/ - The official site

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju6Pi9Nbugk - A more practical introduction to the game. (That's not me btw)

I guess my SE time is greatly limited now -_-

Probably the best FPS game that has come out in a while... a long while. Iit's Free to Play and not Pay to Win. You can get almost everything with the in-game currency and the things you can't are cosmetic.

The gameplay is pretty similar than in pretty much all Modern Military Shooters even though it's not one. The guns are pretty much what you see in most FPS games: Assault Rifles, SMGs, Snipers, Combat Rifles, Pistols, Grenades 'n' shiz. Also burst-fire alternatives for Pistols, Combat Rifles and SMGs.

However, what makes this game stand out? Legal wallhacks and INSANELY good gunplay... I mean insanely ******* good gunplay.

Ok seriousface now.

It's a pretty action oriented FPS mostly because of the thing called Hyper Reality Visor which is basically a legal wallhack, for a greatly limited time although you can manipulate it a bit by customizing your gear. During HRV you can't attack so it's more a tactical thing than something you'd want on 100% of the time. The gunplay is similar to most current FPS games(Aim down sight etc.). You can only regenerate health to 50% of your max health and you can customize practically everything with gear. Armor, health, run speed(also affected by what gun you use and how you have customized that), HRV time etc.

Nothing else to say really. Highly customizable and lower level people don't really have a disadvantage against higher level people. Higher level people can customize more and have more available and the element of power is there but it's really small compared to other games.

There are obviously bad things about the game. The learning curve can be really high and me being more a competitive FPS player(European Team Fortress 2 League - Moving up to Division 4 next season) I have to say the customization is more a bad thing than a good one. Also headshots can be a bit random at first, especially with high rate of fire weapons.

So, any of you played this game or are you going to try it out? How have you liked it so far etc. stuff like that. I have liked the game a lot, especially the Sniper Rifles.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I've never played it but iy looks interesting.
    Team Juggernaut's Boastful Warrior!
    Insert witty comment here, Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Wanna try your hand at some of the hardest riddles known to man? See my thread of riddles!
    Wanna see some awesome decks? See my complete deck list! (all heroes)
    Wanna be a Juggernaut? Start by applying for TJX

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I've already got this on download through Steam.

Good to hear a positive review from a confirmed FPS addict
    Extra Tough Claws - Proud Member of ETC

Articles | Decklist | Fan Fiction

Shadow Era Art Thread | PB @ DeviantArt

PFG Member | I've been interviewed!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I saw tb did a vid for it, but haven't had time to watch it(been super busy with dayz), so I'll have to go check it out now.
    Coder of the Night -- A1 : Evolution in Theory

Member of the Player's Focus Group 1

My Decks:
    -------------

My Articles:
    My Strategy articles compilation

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Preybird View Post
    I've already got this on download through Steam.

Good to hear a positive review from a confirmed FPS addict
    I have heard people complain about the amount of time it takes to kill somebody from close- or mid-range. If both stand there and fight, yes you can die really fast. One really cool thing about the game tho is that you don't die to a single hit almost ever(Sniper Rifles aka Bolt-Action Rifles are exceptions and only headshots unless you gear yourself with little HP like I currently do) so you can abuse the shit out of corners in fights and it's generally kinda easy to flee from fights as well unless you geared yourself as a open field brawler(lot of health, lot of armor, little run speed).

One more thing is that the maps are really hard to understand at first and if you use HRV a lot(which is recommended) you'll get confused real fast when you are starting. It gets way better once you start knowing the maps.

There's no real need to worry about customization because the starter loadout is pretty competitive(Standard Assault Rifle, Standard Pistol, HE Grenade, Combat Knife) and doesn't really specialize either.

I recommend to fully go through the training, you'll get some free stuff if you do. You also get some free stuff whenever you level up.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Saw some of TotalBiscuit's vids on the game and might consider downloading it once they get realistic about their in game purchases.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Nice recommendation Airact! I've about burnt myself out on Tribes Ascend after almost 200 hours (the game is fun, but they really need to add some new maps, vehicles, or something). I tried the game out yesterday and had a fun time. I'm still getting used to the game, and learning how to do all the customization stuff, but its still fun to just jump in stock and shoot it up.

Steam has a sale on a starter pack http://store.steampowered.com/app/209872 right now. Get $20 worth of stuff for $10. I'm definitely going to pick it up.
    This beast comes out when it is 25 degrees below zero
    It can rip your head off
    It can fly as high as a bird
    It can bite your face

Theme Song

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Can you choose the armors and gun mods you get from the pack? I might pick it up in that case. I mostly use Bolt-Action rifles so the pre-mades are pretty much nothing to me.
    Last edited by Airact; 07-13-2012 at 03:20 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I have no idea. I'll let you know after I get home from work and purchase it.
    It can rip your head off
    It can bite your face

Theme Song

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Nope. You don't get to pick any of the items. Oh well.
    It can rip your head off
    It can bite your face

Theme Song