Close

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Mtg

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Dammit! MUST TYPE FASTER!!!

SSKJFhkasbnjgkjfnsdkjsdfnlkjsfgjnlKJAHDFNBSDUIGJNS KLUUEHBGKLJSDBKFGSDJBGKUJSDBNUKGJSDHKLFJNSKDUGBHSD KJGNSBDKLJGNBKGJNSDKOGHKLJS
    MistahBoweh - Paragon of Paragons
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

My Strategy Site: The Boweh
    Latest Article: USED: MistahBoweh VS SamuelJ

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by dndfreak View Post
    All the signets are good, yes. They're staples in commander, and there's loads of cards like the Tezzerets that like to abuse them. Mana acceleration and fixing is also not that common in colors that aren't green, making these cards often better than running an entire extra color just to make your deck a little faster.
    ah, thanks dnd. but cant you only run 4x of them? also, if the card adds one of each mana to the mana pool permanently.. seems like it would be hard to keep track of. pen and paper time right?
    ⊰☠ Mємвєr of I-5 ☠⊱

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterStrategist View Post
    ah, thanks dnd. but cant you only run 4x of them? also, if the card adds one of each mana to the mana pool permanently.. seems like it would be hard to keep track of. pen and paper time right?
    Mana only lasts until the end of your turn. So it's not like resourcing, where a gain is permanent (Stop Thief! for example).

With the Signets, you need to pay their cost each turn to get the 2 coloured mana.

Like the old saying "Gotta spend money to make money."
    Extra Tough Claws - Proud Member of ETC

Articles | Decklist | Fan Fiction

Shadow Era Art Thread | PB @ DeviantArt

PFG Member | I've been interviewed!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    thanks for clearing that up. playing two card games is going to drive me insane. since in shadow era the term 'add' means tack on for good.
    ⊰☠ Mємвєr of I-5 ☠⊱

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterStrategist View Post
    At the end of each phase, your mana pool empties. Not turn. Phase. There are cards (see Omnath, Locus of Mana) that say otherwise, but generally, mana gained during the precombat main is lost when you go to declare attackers, etc.

This is a common tough hump for new players to grasp since text is no longer on basic lands, but each of the five has abilities; it's not just a rule that all mountans can be used for red spells, etc.

For example, all Islands have the text: T: Add U to your mana pool. Basically, there's this sort of transition phase between tapping lands for mana and using that mana for spells and abilities, and during that time the mana is considered to be 'in the mana pool'. This wording is to that effects other than lands, such as that of the signets, can produce mana.

And yes, you can only run four. But there's also 10 different signets, so in total you can have up to 40 of them.
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    At this point we should probably bring up Mana burn.

Any mana that is sitting in your mana pool unused at end of phase causes mana burn. For each unused point, you take one damage.

Not a very common occurence, but can happen with cards like signets that generate multiple mana at once.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    40 Signets, the phrase "water, water everywhere, but not a drop to drink" comes to mind.
    Harakhte - A1's Esoteric Egyptian Enigma
    www.a1-alliance.org - "Evolution in Theory"

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Preybird View Post
    At this point we should probably bring up Mana burn.

Any mana that is sitting in your mana pool unused at end of phase causes mana burn. For each unused point, you take one damage.

Not a very common occurence, but can happen with cards like signets that generate multiple mana at once.
    Again, that's wrong. The mana burn rule hasn't been in magic since 2009.
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Again, that's wrong. The mana burn rule hasn't been in magic since 2009.
    Yeah I just read the latest rules and realised that.

MS, stop paying attention to me

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    At the end of each phase, your mana pool empties. Not turn. Phase. There are cards (see Omnath, Locus of Mana) that say otherwise, but generally, mana gained during the precombat main is lost when you go to declare attackers, etc.

This is a common tough hump for new players to grasp since text is no longer on basic lands, but each of the five has abilities; it's not just a rule that all mountans can be used for red spells, etc.

For example, all Islands have the text: T: Add U to your mana pool. Basically, there's this sort of transition phase between tapping lands for mana and using that mana for spells and abilities, and during that time the mana is considered to be 'in the mana pool'. This wording is to that effects other than lands, such as that of the signets, can produce mana.

And yes, you can only run four. But there's also 10 different signets, so in total you can have up to 40 of them.
    ok so i guess thats why you shouldnt just tap all you mana at once. i understood the mana pool concept but i did not know that it emptied obviously. im going to have to do some more reading before i start playing i can already see. thanks dnd and preybird for your help. i'm learning :P

btw.. i already decided to order this as well

the lands i need, deck boxes, poster art and life die were enough of an excuse for me to blow $40 on it. and i just really want to open boosters :P

lol preybird
    Last edited by MasterStrategist; 04-19-2012 at 06:15 AM.
    ⊰☠ Mємвєr of I-5 ☠⊱