Close

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Mtg

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Mtg

if i were to start playing MTG casually, but wanted to keep with the current set, (m12 now right?) what starter deck should choose?
    which one is best to play out of the box? i was looking at a 'deck builder's toolkit' for 20 bucks and that looked like a good place to start.

i dont know that im going to get too serious into the game but i have friend with a starter deck and i think im going to try it out. no idea what color i want, guess it doesnt matter to me right now
    ⊰☠ Mємвєr of I-5 ☠⊱

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    You want black and red because they are the greatest
    Coder of the Night -- A1 : Evolution in Theory

Member of the Player's Focus Group 1

My Decks:
    -------------

My Articles:
    My Strategy articles compilation

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Dont get the deckbuilders toolkits, they arent worth it. Id personally recommend the dual of the planeswalker game for xbox/pc, if you have that ability. If youre looking for physical cards though just pick a starter deck that tickles your fancy

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    If you want to have the most fun with MtG for a small amount of money, just buy a big box of commons and some lands off eBay. Then make a drafting cube and play with friends, tremendous fun!
    proud former member of A1 Alliance
    overview of all
    my strategy articles

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    ^This.

If you have the patience (and a lot on ink in your printer) you can even make a proxie-cube (with fake cards) and draft with friends.
    FDL TV!

Channel | Thread | Twitter
    Deck Techs, Game Commentary, Replay Analysis and more!

FDL Tips: The Metagame, Balance and You || Empty Hands
    LL Decklists: Serena || Elementalis

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    If you want the most fun with MtG play a deck with tons of counterspells and at least 3 wrath effects and some card draw. There is no other way to have fun with MtG.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    im thinking of buying a couple of these because they look relatively inexpensive

and maybe this ? http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazin...ily/arcana/739

and maybe a few boosters :P

i was considering the ebay thing. you can get a ton of cards for like 20 bucks. but i dont think i like the idea of buying old/used cards. its fun to see what you can get in a new pack. and i at least want to be up to date.
    also, i dont know many people (a few i guess) that play and there arent any shops close by, so i dont think ill be doing the draft thing

thank you guys for your input.
    Last edited by MasterStrategist; 04-13-2012 at 09:02 AM.
    ⊰☠ Mємвєr of I-5 ☠⊱

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    One thing I did with a bunch of my friends for a while was special casual format where each player had a deck that could only be made out of the contents of a given theme deck or intro pack (so the way most of us did it was to just buy 4x of a theme deck/intro pack and viola, there's your cardpool). This was a really cool format that limited the cost and simplified deckbuilding for our more casual-playing friends, and everyone had a ton of fun with it!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    If you don't like used cards, then by all means pay 12x the price to get those same commons... If you are not planning on playing tournaments, it is really not essential that you have the newest cards, and the older cards are just as much fun.
    Anyway, drafting cube was by far my favorite format, and the nice thing is that you can create your own metagame, so you don't have to worry about having all the fancy rares. If you do want them, printing some proxies as suggested above is a financially viable option.
    proud former member of A1 Alliance
    overview of all
    my strategy articles

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    fine he-man you have me convinced! i went to ebay and bought off this guy http://www.ebay.com/itm/1000-Recent-...#ht_1474wt_689

20 bucks + shipping and that should keep me busy deck building

i.. might still buy a booster though just to say i did.

@ninjaducky yeah i was looking at all the the intro/starter decks for a while too. 'grab for power' looks like a fun one to play
    ⊰☠ Mємвєr of I-5 ☠⊱