Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    +1

1.27 Tournament Champion Raphael Majere's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by danae View Post
    If I remember correctly, last year's World Championships was initially swiss rounds per region/timezone and then brackets for the finals so I think it's the same as it is now. Although the swiss was done over one weekend but I think that was still somewhat manageable because there wasn't as many people signed up back then. It was hell on the organizer though (Kyle), who I think hardly slept at all that weekend. Not only that, he had to be at each swiss round to decide the pairings and to do the coin flips for who gets to start in the third game. Given all that, I think using a third party system to make it easier for the organizer is the smart thing to do. With all the proven and tested (and free) systems out there, there is no need to re-invent the wheel.

One thing I think that should have been considered is the consistency of how the format of the World Championships should be. I'd rather have the format be the same for each year of the World Championships rather than it change year after year. You have a set of qualifications to judge the quality of the champion and being able to change decks now as compared to the previous one where it was set throughout, takes into consideration different sets of skills in predicting the meta and in deck building. I would have preferred to keep the same rules as last year and have a different World Championships category for the current format.

As far as I know, you don't see changes in how the games are played when championships are determined for the majority of the sports out there.
    I don't mind changes. As long as rules are clearly defined. That included DQ/penalties for no-show, etc.

Re: sign-up: I had to navigate here and there to make sure I signed up properly. basically, ensure Challonge acc is live and I am in right tourney.

Next, sign up at GDC site and check here: http://shadowera.gondorian.com/seworlds2012entrants.php

Lastly, ensure 500 Crystals is in correct acc.

+1 to NinjaDucky on everything on single SE site for future official tourneys.

My overall sign-up experience: A little confusing due to new requirements inserted periodically, but overall ok. It's possible that some people only read the Challonge post and did not realise the GDC site requirement hence missed out on that. Some people don't come to SE forums all the time. Even for me, I signed up pretty late due to work.

This is a huge tourney - give Wulven and GDC a break - there are bound to be some hiccups when everything starts out. I will be spending some time to read the rules carefully. I would suggest all of us do so, and as LD has brought up, let's air our questions and clarify all rules. Ad-hoc rule changes will be extremely unpopular so I hope we can all resolve/clear up all rules before the start.

I am very excited. Big thanks to Wulven, Kyle and GDC.
    Last edited by Raphael Majere; 04-11-2012 at 02:52 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think Kyle and GDC our managing this pretty well with all the complaints, the changes technical problems, etc.

I'm sure it's going to be a great WC.

As for the rules changing, I agree with Raph.

Thanks Wulven team

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    @GDC & Kyle, for next year, don't call this the World Championship. Call them WC qualifiers (and you can sort them based on region). Then call the final event where the 32 best face off the World Championship. A little marketing trick that will make everyone happier
    proud former member of A1 Alliance
    overview of all
    my strategy articles

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I am listening, but hopefully you can appreciate that some of the details of this event were chosen for practical reasons, so that there could actually be a World Championships this year.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by danae View Post
    As far as I know, you don't see changes in how the games are played when championships are determined for the majority of the sports out there.
    Do note, however, most of said sports have already gone through their formats' growing pains. The NFL wasn't always the NFL, and there wasn't always a Superbowl (for example) but over 50 years or so of playing in large, inter-city leagues, the format as we have it today came to exist.

I'm not suggesting that SE's "pro" scene should take 50 years to perfect, but seriously, this game is still very, very much in its infancy. Give it some time for the community to play the game and figure out what everyone likes the most and why works the best. No reason to expect inventing the wheel and the axle in the same day.
    -Doctor of Philosophy, A1 Alliance - Evolution in theory
    Original designer of the Serena Superdraw® archetype; connoisseur of all things un-meta

Santa Bomb ©2011, Lamb Slam & Feedbomb ©2012 - All rights reserved

Zaladar - ZTC 3.0: The Feedbomb Dynamo <-- An iconic deck in Shadow Era history - SE v1.5

Listen to past episodes of State of the Era: a dialogue on all things Shadow Era, brought to you by Alliance One

We are all one mind, capable of all imagined, and all conceivable.