Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Retreat! mechanics altering.

I was thinking what could be done to increase viability of friendly ally attachments in the game, because right now cards as Retreat! completely nullify usefulness of attached to ally cards.

My idea is to retreat cards with friendly attachments to hand, or at least retreat attachment separately to hand, and not sending it to the graveyard.
    Scrupulous Ash Collector of the Blue Phoenix.
    Warriors of the Blue Phoenix

Greatness, Reborn

Shadow Era Network - Shadow Era community hub.

Quote Originally Posted by BDK16 View Post
    You're the best Unruler!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Bhleg View Post
    No one know FS better than you, our King of FS.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    This is an idea I see myself agreeing with wholeheartedly. Friendly ally attachments aren't all that viable atm, although they could be quite strong. +5 health, +2 attack, can make a big difference; however, retreat is able to not only destroy those cards... but make the ally they're on disappear as well.

Considering its cost is only 2, it's kind of a bit much for one card.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    In the name of balance its never going to work.... Sry.

It's a valid point but what you are suggesting is nullifying a lot of value in a whole lot of card play. Where do you draw the line with this buff/nerf? Just retreat, or with dagger of unmaking? Nova? Are you suggesting for every attachment on a allie that dies or retreats that attachment goes back? Or just for retreat? If its just for retreat it's not worth the change as retreat works fine, if your suggesting a wider change then hopefully my other suggestions have argued why it's not possible.

I would suggest thinking from the other side... How about a piece of armour or weapon that has this ability ' any lost attachments go back to hand'?

It's always about balance.
    "fairwell, friend. I was a thousand times more evil than thou!"

Proud member of ETC
    1.28 Tournament winner
    Entertaining the Cosmos

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LARKEN View Post
    In the name of balance its never going to work.... Sry.

It's a valid point but what you are suggesting is nullifying a lot of value in a whole lot of card play. Where do you draw the line with this buff/nerf? Just retreat, or with dagger of unmaking? Nova? Are you suggesting for every attachment on a allie that dies or retreats that attachment goes back? Or just for retreat? If its just for retreat it's not worth the change as retreat works fine, if your suggesting a wider change then hopefully my other suggestions have argued why it's not possible.

I would suggest thinking from the other side... How about a piece of armour or weapon that has this ability ' any lost attachments go back to hand'?

It's always about balance.
    Well, it will work for any effect that returns ally to owner's hand. It will work only with friendly attachments.

Think about it: ally goes to the hand, but why attachment goes to GY? It's illogical. In terms of balance it nullifies usefulness of friendly attachments...

Greatness, Reborn

You're the best Unruler!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Unruler View Post
    Well, it will work for any effect that returns ally to owner's hand. It will work only with friendly attachments.

Think about it: ally goes to the hand, but why attachment goes to GY? It's illogical. In terms of balance it nullifies usefulness of friendly attachments...
    It's not illogical. Attachment =/= Ally. Retreat states that it returns an ally to it's controller's hand.

The attachment has been played on the board and it doesn't go back to it's controllers hand because of it not being an ally therefore it goes to the GY because it doesn't have anything to attach to.

How to fix the case of attachments being useless? Make Retreat-type of effects useless or add "cannot be put back to hand" to the ally with an attachment.

If there are separate cards made to bounce attachments back to hand, yeah it's cool. Nothing against that.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Airact View Post
    The attachment has been played on the board and it doesn't go back to it's controllers hand because of it not being an ally therefore it goes to the GY because it doesn't have anything to attach to.
    Than make it go to your hand with that attachment on your card, it's also the possibility. I may be a little bit awkward to realize though.

How to fix the case of attachments being useless? Make Retreat-type of effects useless or add "cannot be put back to hand" to the ally with an attachment.
    Are you suggesting any attachment will block retreats? Imho, it's way too OP...

If there are separate cards made to bounce attachments back to hand, yeah it's cool. Nothing against that.
    I don't think this will be useful.

Greatness, Reborn

You're the best Unruler!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Ally-based attachments are already useful. Bounce effects (this is what "retreat" type mechanics are generally called in TCGs) are a good counter to them. I suspect as we go down into the future, the design team will even start putting out new, more powerful attachments now that Sever Ties exists. I'm not too worried about this.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Unruler, what about negative attachments?
    Your suggestion includes Crippling Blow and Captured Prey right? Would you enjoy retreating your crippled ally and giving the Crippling Blow back to your opponent's hand?
    Why won't you run into rain and pray?
    Let the tears splash all over you...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GustCM2 View Post
    Unruler, what about negative attachments?
    Your suggestion includes Crippling Blow and Captured Prey right? Would you enjoy retreating your crippled ally and giving the Crippling Blow back to your opponent's hand?
    No, I was talking only about friendly attachments, that you cast on your own units. Negative attachments is ok as they are now.

Greatness, Reborn

You're the best Unruler!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Unruler View Post
    No, I was talking only about friendly attachments, that you cast on your own units. Negative attachments is ok as they are now.
    Unfortunately it has to be one way or the other Unruler. Sucks I know, but I actually prefer it the way it is.
    Extra Tough Claws - Proud Member of ETC

Articles | Decklist | Fan Fiction

Shadow Era Art Thread | PB @ DeviantArt

PFG Member | I've been interviewed!