Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Flycheung View Post
    I recalled you mentioned it was the Microsoft's license fee that's too costly. Perhaps another crowd funding??
    That's Nintendo. If we release it on Xbox Live Indie Games, it shouldn't be an arm and a leg. Although if I remember correctly, Nintendo might be slowly loosening up with the release of the Wii U.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I still say dont hold your breath. Its like 8k to get the dev kit, you still need to be approved, around 15k for unity xna exporter which im not sure if its released yet, and then you have to somehow be able to pass microsofts extremely difficult certs, which Im not confident can even really be done in unity without thinking about it from the beginning.

Aka, probably not worth the investment.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Good god, this thread is still going?

Here's a couple fatal reasons SE will not be released on XBox Live.

1. Console gamers are not the right demographic. When's the last time you wanted a current gen console for a slow, strategic game?
    2. Gamepads and card games are not a great mix. It imposes a handicap similar to putting an RTS to a console.
    3. To publish, and patch, a game on XBL, is VERY expensive. Also, Microsoft does not allow free/microtransaction games on their system.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Here are a couple hopeful reasons SE may be released on XBox Live.

1. Magic has had some success on Xbox Live, but given that Shadow Era has some momentum it would make sense for them to try to compete in a similar way.
    2. The controls could very easily be adapted to an Xbox controller.
    3. The only major cost involved would be the development cost, which seems like no problem for the SE team. The game should be published as an Indie game for 300 XBL points which will make it competitive and attractive to newcomers who are either tired of Magic, or don't want to pay $15 for it.
    4. Microsoft allows "micro" transactions through the use of Microsoft Points on the Xbox Live network. It would be a small matter to work in the purchase of booster packs, but another option might be making it 100% F2P only on Xbox Live.
    5. There are programs out now which export to XNA, not sure what SE is written in, but it could be re-written in XNA if there was a will to do it.
    6. This game has been successful on the PC and mobiles, so it seems likely it would have some amount of success as an Xbox Live Indie Game.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Its worth noting that Microsoft will soon stop supporting the XNA framework and the Xbox indie marketplace.

My suggestion is to see where the next "xbox" will take the maketplace and see if new systems are set in place for it. iirc, it currently costs $10,000 to update a game on the marketplace after the first update. This could cause issues with SE's strength of cross platform play. If that changes with the next generation of consoles (such as what the Wii U allows) then I could see it happening.
    Was the Leader of Acolytes of A1

A1's Dimensional Eyes in the Sky
    A1 Alliance: Evolution in Theory
    PFG3 Leader

Was Shadow Era Community Manager

Sota, The Switch Axe Monster Hunter

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
    "Humans fight to secure peace as they envision it. The trouble is, everyone's vision is different." - Ringabel

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Possible, but i think it's quite unlikely for the foreseeable future.
    Acolytes of A1
    "Students today, Masters tomorrow"

"The first casualty of war is the truth"

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I would love to see SE on xbox and other platforms, and I'm sure it will happen someday...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Well I think Sony is working with Unity for the PS4 and its devices/consoles so that may be something worth considering (though I haven't read into details yet).

Still, nice to know you consider it an option.
    Was the Leader of Acolytes of A1

A1's Dimensional Eyes in the Sky
    A1 Alliance: Evolution in Theory
    PFG3 Leader

Was Shadow Era Community Manager

Sota, The Switch Axe Monster Hunter

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
    "Humans fight to secure peace as they envision it. The trouble is, everyone's vision is different." - Ringabel