Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Question need help with gravebone

hi, i think my deck is pretty good but it's very, very weak against human mages, especially Nishaven
    here, my deck contains:
    3x Keldor
    2x Gargoyle
    3x Plasma
    1x Bad Wolf
    2x Death Mage
    4x Shadow Knight
    4x Molten Destroyer
    2x Ogloth the Glutton
    2x Tome of Knowledge (Research)
    4x Portal
    4x Shadow Font
    2x Extra Sharp
    4x Bazaar
    1x Sever Ties
    2x Bad santa
    1x Master Smith
    2x Crescendo
    1x wooden Staff

Total:49 cards
    My Strategy:First 3 turns, use minor cards if you can,turn 4: portal,turn 5: either Shadow knight, plasma or molten destroyer(attacks and gets one of opponent's alliesand probably dies afterwards),turn 6: Ogloth if it's in your hand and ability (gets another one of opponent's allies), turn 7: strenghten your board and attack with the allies on the board,turn 8: if all survives till this turn you can get a great dmg output this turn, turn 9: finishes it off if the opponent doesn't stealth or hide

but... it doesn't work about well against nishaven, because:
    ppl using nishaven generally have a frost build, which disables the portal
    stopping your allies with voice of winter and ability, they don't put much allies into the game, they just stop your allies, and finishes you off all with spells..... well, so this build is quite weakness against Nishaven, so what can i do to neutralize this strategy?(my rating is 151 right now btw)
    Last edited by flzf; 04-02-2012 at 08:19 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Hiya, welcome to the forums!

Gravebone is a powerful hero, however he's not easy to use correctly, and you can generally expect to take hits early game.

What you need to do is to gain focus in your deck. Reduce the different types of cards to gain consistency. So let's have a look at the deck.

Firstly, you need to cut it down to 40 cards. I can see some cards that just aren't good in a Gravebone deck. Master Smith, Wooden Staff have to go. Extra Sharp is just bad. Bazaar is a bad choice, you aren't a death racer and you want to slow your opponents draw. Cut them entirely and bring your Tome of Knowledge up to 4.

Secondly, allies. You need to ensure that you can get the ally you want, when you want. So consistency here is key. It's better to have 3 or 4 different allies at 4 copies each, than 6 or 7 different allies at 2 copies each. You're also missing 2cc allies, and that will hurt you, as human heroes are very common, and Puwen will make you suffer immesurably. I like Brutalis, but Flayer is also a decent choice against a non-Shadow opponent (DMT ruins Flayers day).

Thirdly, Portal. This is the contentious point, but I really dislike Portal with Gravebone. It doesn't trigger with Gravebone's ability, and it's a giant warning beacon for your opponent. It also takes up space in your deck that could be better used elsewhere (in your case, reducing overall deck size) So for me, it's got to go. Same with Shadow Font. I know Gravebone's ability costs 4cc, but if you're having to bring back allies rapidly enough to require Shadow Font, the game is over for you I'm afraid.

Fourth (Though this should probably be the first point), where's the burn? 4 Fireball and 4 Lightning strike is the core of ALL mage decks, including Gravebone. And Supernova is just nasty paired with Gravebone's ability. You need at least 2 Nova as well.

So, what I'm suggesting is a complete overhaul of your deck basically. However to help you along, here's an idea of what your deck could look like:

Gravebone

Allies: 17

4 x Brutalis or Flayer
    4 x Gargoyle
    3 x Bad Wolf
    4 x Behemoth or Molten
    2 x Ogloth

Abilities: 22

4 x Fireball
    4 x Lightning Strike
    3 x Supernova
    4 x Tome of Knowledge
    3 x Shriek of Vengeance (For items)
    2 x Ley Line Nexus (For Voice of Winter)
    2 x Bad Santa (Situational draw)

total 40 cards including hero.

Good luck!
    Extra Tough Claws - Proud Member of ETC

Articles | Decklist | Fan Fiction

Shadow Era Art Thread | PB @ DeviantArt

PFG Member | I've been interviewed!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    First things first, let's thin down to 40 for consistency. -3 Keldor takes care of that.

Next, allies:
    Bad wolf is bad, so let's just drop him for a third death mage. Extra sharp isn't as good as gargoyle, so we'll go -2/+2 on those as well.
    20 allies is a little lean, but with your fatties being constantly revived I could see it working.

Onto the abilities:
    Lighting strike and fireball are necessary. No exceptions, these kill allies so your fatties can rule.
    -portal, -bazaar, all in on fireball and LS.
    Crescendo is bad, and supernova is good, so switch those out.
    I prefer sacrificial lamb to bad santa, but do what you think is needed.

lastly, items:
    You NEED 4 tome of knowledge. -1 font, -severed ties, +2 tome.
    Dagger of unmaking is a powerful little toy to put into play, so don't hesitate to run it. I'd suggest -master smith, -wooden staff +2 dou.

Final deck list:
    4 gargoyle
    3 death mage
    4 sk
    3 plasma
    4 molten
    2 Olgoth
    4 fireball
    4 lighting strike
    2 supernova
    2 bad santa
    2 shadow font
    4 tome of knowledge
    2 dagger of unmaking

Things to consider:
    Sf is far weaker than it seems for Gravebone; you're better using the pair that's left for making 2 more daggers it also wouldn't hurt to drop 3 fatties for a wulven tracker.

Other than that this version sikhs run clean, good luck!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Preybird View Post
    Hiya, welcome to the forums!

Gravebone is a powerful hero, however he's not easy to use correctly, and you can generally expect to take hits early game.

What you need to do is to gain focus in your deck. Reduce the different types of cards to gain consistency. So let's have a look at the deck.

Firstly, you need to cut it down to 40 cards. I can see some cards that just aren't good in a Gravebone deck. Master Smith, Wooden Staff have to go. Extra Sharp is just bad. Bazaar is a bad choice, you aren't a death racer and you want to slow your opponents draw. Cut them entirely and bring your Tome of Knowledge up to 4.

Secondly, allies. You need to ensure that you can get the ally you want, when you want. So consistency here is key. It's better to have 3 or 4 different allies at 4 copies each, than 6 or 7 different allies at 2 copies each. You're also missing 2cc allies, and that will hurt you, as human heroes are very common, and Puwen will make you suffer immesurably. I like Brutalis, but Flayer is also a decent choice against a non-Shadow opponent (DMT ruins Flayers day).

Thirdly, Portal. This is the contentious point, but I really dislike Portal with Gravebone. It doesn't trigger with Gravebone's ability, and it's a giant warning beacon for your opponent. It also takes up space in your deck that could be better used elsewhere (in your case, reducing overall deck size) So for me, it's got to go. Same with Shadow Font. I know Gravebone's ability costs 4cc, but if you're having to bring back allies rapidly enough to require Shadow Font, the game is over for you I'm afraid.

Fourth (Though this should probably be the first point), where's the burn? 4 Fireball and 4 Lightning strike is the core of ALL mage decks, including Gravebone. And Supernova is just nasty paired with Gravebone's ability. You need at least 2 Nova as well.

So, what I'm suggesting is a complete overhaul of your deck basically. However to help you along, here's an idea of what your deck could look like:

Gravebone

Allies: 17

4 x Brutalis or Flayer
    4 x Gargoyle
    3 x Bad Wolf
    4 x Behemoth or Molten
    2 x Ogloth

Abilities: 22

4 x Fireball
    4 x Lightning Strike
    3 x Supernova
    4 x Tome of Knowledge
    3 x Shriek of Vengeance (For items)
    2 x Ley Line Nexus (For Voice of Winter)
    2 x Bad Santa (Situational draw)

total 40 cards including hero.

Good luck!
    I pretty much agree with this.

Also keep in mind when facing nishaven that at some point he is going to clear the board. So don't put all your allies on the board at one time. Try to control the board with the minimum amount of allies ( your newly acquired burn cards will help with this) and force him to use his ability on your low cost allies. Then cast your fatties.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    whoa dude, that was fast.... ok i'll try these now
    thanks for the help....

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    btw kupua what is sf? i didn't find it in dictionary so i don't know what isthat

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by flzf View Post
    btw kupua what is sf? i didn't find it in dictionary so i don't know what isthat
    Shadow Font
    I AM THE FRICKIN' ARCH-MAGE OF THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE!!
    Have a sword in your face!

God damn these facts getting in the way of my succes!!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    4x Gargoyle
    3x Plasma
    2x Oggy
    3x Shadow Knight

4x Tome
    4x FB
    4x Light S
    4x Nova
    2x DOU
    4x CLing
    2x Shreik
    2x Severe
    2x LLN

SHadow Knight synergy with GB ability is pretty good. So therefore you don't need much allies. Play this card after an ally dies perferrably oggy or PB. But if you can resurrect them with GB ability then don't choose this card but something else.

What to sac.? As long as you have one nova in hand you can sac 2-3 other copies. Shreik, Severe, LLN, is saccable base on hero and what you anticipate on them using. Gargoyle generally u just need 1 - 2 in the beginning so you can sac up to 3 other copies. SEvere is needed against Wulven, decks or any other decks that use "ATTACHMENT CARDS"

Severe is also good against warriors since they tend to have lots of attachment cards to the hero.

Students Today, Masters Tomorrow

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by dyny View Post
    SHadow Knight synergy with GB ability is pretty good. So therefore you don't need much allies. Play this card after an ally dies perferrably oggy or PB. But if you can resurrect them with GB ability then don't choose this card but something else.
    Please don't throw the term synergy around. There's a difference between "working in the same direction" and "working well together".

To say sk synergises with gb is like saying fireball synergises with eldawen's ability.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Wenhui Tay View Post
    Please don't throw the term synergy around. There's a difference between "working in the same direction" and "working well together".

To say sk synergises with gb is like saying fireball synergises with eldawen's ability.
    Well, they synergise for a 4 damage LS.
    :P j/k
    Do NOT Click Here