Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Despite 1.5 being the most balanced version yet...

Despite 1.5 being the most balanced version yet, it seems to me like going first is now far more important than before. The control based meta combined with several cost nerfs to hero skills seems to have made going first a bigger advantage. I end up knowing i wont or lost in the first 5 turns far more often than in 1.29.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I feel like I'm better off going second, to be totally honest. Depends on what kind of deck you play tho.
    I AM THE FRICKIN' ARCH-MAGE OF THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE!!
    Have a sword in your face!

God damn these facts getting in the way of my succes!!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Junk Style View Post
    Despite 1.5 being the most balanced version yet, it seems to me like going first is now far more important than before. The control based meta combined with several cost nerfs to hero skills seems to have made going first a bigger advantage. I end up knowing i wont or lost in the first 5 turns far more often than in 1.29.
    Sounds like you're playing rush/burn decks.
    Shallow Era Channel and Blog
    Enhancing The Community, etc.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin JF View Post
    I feel like I'm better off going second, to be totally honest. Depends on what kind of deck you play tho.
    +1.

Some decks I prefer going 2nd bec of the 1 card and 1 SE. Some decks I absolutely need to go first to confirm the win.
    A1's Mustard-Seed Knight of Hope (IGN:A1 atomzed)
    Also a member of PFG1 and PFG2
    Rank #7 in Inaugural Meltdown Tourney
    Singapore Rep for Street Fighter Tournament

"Rapid analysis, accurate judgement, and superb powers of concentration...That is all we need." - Lezard Valeth

Proud member of A1 - Evolution in Theory
    Project Omega - Card Analysis and Strategy Guide

My Articles
    Deck size and Probability - A case for (slightly) bigger deck
    Meltdown Tier and Payout Analysis

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Keaven View Post
    Sounds like you're playing rush/burn decks.
    Yep.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I blame PotL for FTA. Other than that, all of the popular heroes have ways to gain back board so I feel it is completely wrong if you think the game is decided in the 1st 5 turns.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrogene View Post
    I blame PotL for FTA. Other than that, all of the popular heroes have ways to gain back board so I feel it is completely wrong if you think the game is decided in the 1st 5 turns.
    I don't think it's that it's impossible to gain back the board, but we've all been in games where going first clearly gave someone an advantage.

For example, if two human decks are facing each other. Both drop a Jasmine on Turn 3. Turn 4 comes and one player can drop an Aldon, kill the opposing Jasmine, and establish some pretty strong board control. Even if the opposing player has an Aldon as well, it doesn't even matter anymore because the opportunity is lost.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Meta View Post
    I don't think it's that it's impossible to gain back the board, but we've all been in games where going first clearly gave someone an advantage.

For example, if two human decks are facing each other. Both drop a Jasmine on Turn 3. Turn 4 comes and one player can drop an Aldon, kill the opposing Jasmine, and establish some pretty strong board control. Even if the opposing player has an Aldon as well, it doesn't even matter anymore because the opportunity is lost.
    That's just a single example and all it does is show advantage in that turn (and that would have applied in 1.29 as well). Rogues have Anklebreaker, Mages have Nova and LS, Priests have Tidal Wave, Gwen has 4 damage SS, Amber has 4 damage DRs, the list goes on. Not denying in your specific example player 1 has the advantage. But the game is far from over by turn 5. That's the only point I'm making.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    First turn advantage seems to be only a huge advantage for human heroes. Since almost all humans utilize the same few monsters that have huge synergy with each other in the early game. Since a human who goes first can turn 1:kris, turn 2: puwen, turn 3: jasmine(potl), turn 4: aldon, turn 5: briggette. If your opponent can't clear the board they are in a huge hole and are working up a steep hill the rest of the game. Doing this while going second doesn't lend the same advantage as your opponent can have board presence to help eliminate these early threats as they appear.

So if your having difficultly going second, since it's probably due to the above, including a board wipe should vastly help you out. Now I do agree with you that this is arguably to powerful you don't see it occur too often, since if there is approximately as many shadow players as human players and this is only a issue if they go first, you will only have this problem <25% of the time since your opponent must also draw the appropriate cards.

Just my 2 cents on the issue.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Junk Style View Post
    ....well what kind of deck do you play? Melée-based I'm assuming? Usually it helps for melée to go first and better for mages and priest-type heroes to go second along w/other classes which do damage directly for shadow ability (such as zaladar or banebow). Going first isn't really that great. You get 1 less card for draw, making sacrificing MUCH more stressful if you have a hard hand to deal with, and you get you shadow energy 1 turn later. Honestly, if you deck has good responding power to drops such as t2 puwen, then t3 jasmine (as an example) while going second you have the advantage.

It's funny because i often go first and it pisses me off because I have to gauge what to drop so I time it w/my opponents ability. Being 2nd gives you a bit more breathing room. I often say, "man I wish I went 2nd," and people laugh at me thinking I'm being sarcastic...but I'm not. I'm serious. In addition, the whole point about making a deck is developing a strategy that works just as good going second as it does going first. Such as using Flayer & DMT ping to counter a puwen. Things like that.

Advantages of first:
    + melée classes which need board control have a leg up. Especially with a good hand.
    + massive advantage against other melée class. Especially with good hand.
    + resources are always +1 over opponents unless they use stop thief or you skip a sacrifice. Great for t4 & t5 drops for equipping weapons first or dropping a big card like plasma behemoth.
    + t2 drops which require breathing room like Blake and carniboar are SUPER effective and leave opponent in trouble.

Disadvantages of first:
    - hand is smaller. Tough when you receive all vital cards
    - skipping sacrifice before t5 can have dire consequences later into midgame.
    - for decks which don't particularly need board control via allies, not as good as going 2nd.
    - if you don't have t2 drop from first hand, you only have 1 more chance to get it (drawing card for t2)

Advantages of second:
    + great for mages and direct damage dealers.
    + get extra card and gain shadow energy first.
    + have an extra chance to get a t2 drop if not received in first hand.
    + can usually afford to skip a sacrifice & still be in the game if good cards are in hand.

Disadvantages of second:
    - can REALLY hurt if you lack t2 &/or t3 drops and board control
    Is needed
    - card like dirk, Blake, or carniboar is dropped by opponent.
    - must worry about opponents shadow ability a turn early.

I cant think of everything, but that's my take on 1st & 2nd.