Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Moonstalker Deck v 1.50 New player please help

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and offer your advice.

Moonstalker

4x Infernal Gargoyle
    4x Bad Wolf
    4x Shadow Knight
    4x Pack Wolf

4x Captured Prey
    4x Now Your Mine
    4x Shadow Font
    3x Speedstrike
    4x Jeweler's Dream

Sideboard and/or other possible cards to switch in.

2x Shriek of Vengeance
    2x Ley Line Nexus
    4x Regeneration
    2x Wrath of the Forest
    3x Evil Ascendant
    2x Plasma Behemoth

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Malfarius View Post
    Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and offer your advice.

Moonstalker

4x Infernal Gargoyle
    4x Bad Wolf
    4x Shadow Knight
    4x Pack Wolf

4x Captured Prey
    4x Now Your Mine
    4x Shadow Font
    3x Speedstrike
    4x Jeweler's Dream

Sideboard and/or other possible cards to switch in.

2x Shriek of Vengeance
    2x Ley Line Nexus
    4x Regeneration
    2x Wrath of the Forest
    3x Evil Ascendant
    2x Plasma Behemoth
    Hiya,

That's only a 35 card deck + hero. If you're looking to take it to Quick Match, it needs to be 40 card minimum. That being said, you have a good framework for a solid Moonstalker deck.

My choices for those extra cards would be 4 x Wrath of the Forest.

And welcome to the forums!
    Last edited by Preybird; 04-02-2012 at 04:11 AM.
    Extra Tough Claws - Proud Member of ETC

Articles | Decklist | Fan Fiction

Shadow Era Art Thread | PB @ DeviantArt

PFG Member | I've been interviewed!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I forgot to add the 4x Wulven Tracker to help with the card draw.

After playing a few more games with it tonight i've made a few changes. I know i want to be able to try and get some early board pressence so keeping most of my small guys are a must.

It seems like Wrath of the Forest, Regeneration, Lone Wolf and Molton r good vs mages and priest so some switches are in the works. I think I'm going to add 2x Bad Santa in there too somewhere for the strategic/situational usage.

I just hope I have too for the other cards I like too.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Hi, I have played Moonstalker for a long time and it is my favorite hero. Welcome to join us

I think your deck building is pretty good as you have 4 copies for important cards and deck size sticking at 40. I would like to give my opinion on some of the card choices.

First of all, we need to see who is our biggest enemy in the quick games. In 1.28 and 1.29, they are warriors. That's why we choose 4 plasma behemoth and shadow fonts. However in 1.5 now, the biggest enemy has shifted to mages, which are also the worst matchup for us. So we need to modify our decks to cater for the new meta.

Shadow Font: wins you games against anything but mages, zaladar, and sometimes banebow. It is totally near to useless when you face mages. So I would consider dropping those shadow fonts and putting in sth else.

Wrath of the Forest: great card that allows you to continue putting pressure on the board, especially versus those who have board wipes, as you have alr noticed. With so many mages around, I would suggest getting 4 of them.

Shriek: useful versus mages to destroy their tome of knowledge. Fighting mages, the key is to never let them draw more cards. 2 at least, but I think 3 is better.

Ley Line Nexus: if I have shadow fonts, I can go without LLN. However, as I have abandoned shadow fonts in 1.5, it would be better to have 2 LLNs, mostly because of Lance's Anklebreaker. Sometimes for king's pride. It's up to u though, depending on whether you still want shadow fonts or not. (fonts make you worse against mages, but increase your chances of winning against others)

Speedstrike: not so good in my view, because you don't use what big teeth.

Jeweler's dream: excellent when you have insane draw power. But given that your deck doesn't draw very fast, it may not be that good. Some people favor it, but I dont see much of it's usefulness when I don't draw very fast. It makes me run out of cards faster and more vulnerable to board wipes. This is particularly true when fighting mages.

Lone wolf and regeneration: add them (either one is ok, haven't tried both yet) if you have spare room in your deck, they help you fight mages.

You may also try sacrificial lamb, and discover whether it works better than bad Santa or worse.

Cheers!
    Shadow Era, ETC

Evolve Through Cooperation

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwei View Post
    Hi, I have played Moonstalker for a long time and it is my favorite hero. Welcome to join us

I think your deck building is pretty good as you have 4 copies for important cards and deck size sticking at 40. I would like to give my opinion on some of the card choices.

First of all, we need to see who is our biggest enemy in the quick games. In 1.28 and 1.29, they are warriors. That's why we choose 4 plasma behemoth and shadow fonts. However in 1.5 now, the biggest enemy has shifted to mages, which are also the worst matchup for us. So we need to modify our decks to cater for the new meta.

Shadow Font: wins you games against anything but mages, zaladar, and sometimes banebow. It is totally near to useless when you face mages. So I would consider dropping those shadow fonts and putting in sth else.

Wrath of the Forest: great card that allows you to continue putting pressure on the board, especially versus those who have board wipes, as you have alr noticed. With so many mages around, I would suggest getting 4 of them.

Shriek: useful versus mages to destroy their tome of knowledge. Fighting mages, the key is to never let them draw more cards. 2 at least, but I think 3 is better.

Ley Line Nexus: if I have shadow fonts, I can go without LLN. However, as I have abandoned shadow fonts in 1.5, it would be better to have 2 LLNs, mostly because of Lance's Anklebreaker. Sometimes for king's pride. It's up to u though, depending on whether you still want shadow fonts or not. (fonts make you worse against mages, but increase your chances of winning against others)

Speedstrike: not so good in my view, because you don't use what big teeth.

Jeweler's dream: excellent when you have insane draw power. But given that your deck doesn't draw very fast, it may not be that good. Some people favor it, but I dont see much of it's usefulness when I don't draw very fast. It makes me run out of cards faster and more vulnerable to board wipes. This is particularly true when fighting mages.

Lone wolf and regeneration: add them (either one is ok, haven't tried both yet) if you have spare room in your deck, they help you fight mages.

You may also try sacrificial lamb, and discover whether it works better than bad Santa or worse.

Cheers!
    +1 best post for overall MS strategy in 1.5

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by stevevai1983 View Post
    +1 best post for overall MS strategy in 1.5
    Thank you Stevevai
    Shadow Era, ETC

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I agree, seriously good info from bobwei!

Actually, I think its time I rebuild my moonstalker deck....
    Extra Tough Claws - Proud Member of ETC

Articles | Decklist | Fan Fiction

Shadow Era Art Thread | PB @ DeviantArt

PFG Member | I've been interviewed!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    What I found worked very well was no LLN. A few shadow font and 4 belladonna. I won a game with a couple belladonna's alone. Also for fun death bone can be annoying for mages, also if you have the advantage you can one shot aldon or jasmine.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks Preybird

And Yvan, yep no LLN works well in most cases, but not in front of Anklebreaker. Anklebreaker + Priest of the light really screws moonstalker without shadow font. Followed by EP + Aeon and assassination, Lance would be a nightmare. Just my thoughts though
    Shadow Era, ETC

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvan Antoine View Post
    What I found worked very well was no LLN. A few shadow font and 4 belladonna. I won a game with a couple belladonna's alone. Also for fun death bone can be annoying for mages, also if you have the advantage you can one shot aldon or jasmine.
    First of all I would like to thank everyone for the helpful advice and you input. Back when I used to play MtG bout 15 years ago I was a force to be reckoned with and won many local store and major city tournaments. Now though I feel like my gears are a little rusty and its harder to jump back on this bike.

As for my deck, I've deff been working and smoothing it out. I like moonstalker's capabilities that make him good early through late game. As for the Belladonna's, I used to like them but feel that they'be got horrible survivability and 4 resources just to draw a card is a waste. She might work better if Shadow Knight devoted himself to her but in this deck he's all about self for stalling. Also, if I'm not going to put as many Shadow Fonts in then that makes her survivability even less.

Deathbone is another one of those cards that I used to like but I feel like his ability take up too much of my resources that I could be spending on something else for the board control or early rush/pressure.

Big thanks to stevevai. Tons of good input. I've already smoothed my deck out similar to your advice but taking some of your words into cobsidetation, I might do some more testing and filtering.