Close

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

First Expansion: More Details

WARNING: This is an April Fools joke.

As you may or may not know, we've only been able to share two details about the first expansion for far: It will be released in Summer 2012 and it will have 150 cards.

Since we're now into April, the countdown to the release has officially begun, so I can start sharing some more details.

Whilst I can't reveal specific cards, because there is a long PFG process of testing and balancing to be done, I hope you still find what I post below interesting.

1) New Mechanic - Initiative

This is inspired by LOTR TCG, where if you have more than 4 cards in your hand on your turn then you get some bonus. If you have less than 4 cards on your turn, then your opponent has the initiative (regardless of the number of cards he/she has).

Here's an example of what it might look like (without sharing an actual card, of course):

"If you lose initiative during your turn, draw a card and take 1 damage."

This means that as soon as you drop to 3 cards, you will draw one and get back up to 4, but also take one damage.

2) New Card Type - "Spy"

Spies play like Allies in that you control them, but they go on the opponent's side of the board. Any cards that key off having no allies on the opponent's side will obviously be blocked (no more Lone Wolf healing, for example) and your cards that require opposing allies to be really effective will have some to target. Those are two subtle effects though. The main ones are the text on the cards, but, as I already said, I can't reveal that right now.

We won't actually be sticking with the name "Spy", as it doesn't really fit with the Shadow Era theme, but it's what the concept is being called for now. Feel free to suggest other names for it. That would be appreciated.

3) New Hero Class - Vampire

Given the popularity of Twilight, True Blood and the success of the current Magic The Gathering block, we thought we'd embrace the undead ones too. The Vampire class will have both Human and Shadow heroes. I can't say any more than that now though, as this is obviously a pretty big thing for the game, and we have to manage the spoilers carefully.

Note: While we value your feedback on all aspects of the game, all three of these are now locked into the first expansion and will not change, so please keep that in mind when posting here.

Thanks!

WARNING: This is an April Fools joke.
    Last edited by Gondorian; 04-02-2012 at 08:33 AM. Reason: It was an April Fools joke

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Wow. This is already looking great!

Edit: though I found it a bit funny to send a spy only to be electrocuted by Majiya... for a card. That's not how spies work, is it?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Arggh Can't comment more due to NDA...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrogene View Post
    Arggh Can't comment more due to NDA...
    Good man! Glad you posted here first so other PFGers are reminded not to share anything more.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetgab View Post
    Wow. This is already looking great!

Edit: though I found it a bit funny to send a spy only to be electrocuted by Majiya... for a card. That's not how spies work, is it?
    Majiya is meant to let you draw a card without blasting anyone, but I have not actually played her to check.

As I said above, the implications for older cards are subtle. There are new cards, however, that have been designed to work well with having your own spies on the other side, so it adds new strategy to the game.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    The only thing funny about April Fools is how you are painfully reminded of how totally retarded it is.

(Not saying this topic is, though.)
    How do you afford your rock 'n' roll lifestyle?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by GondorianDotCom View Post
    Good man! Glad you posted here first so other PFGers are reminded not to share anything more.
    :x

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Lol! First I was like: "huh?". Then I was like: "aaaaaaah, now I get it!".
    iClipse - A1's Twilight Manipulator - A1 : Evolution in Theory
    Part of PFG

• My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too.

• Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

• With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.

• I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not sure.

• A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    The design team just won't accept that vampires are friggin' lame. :/ Maybe some of you guys can help the pfg to convince them that the charming, flying and sucking blood themes they're going for have been done to death and won't impress anyone. I don't think it's too late for that.
    A1's man without qualities - Evolution in theory.

My cards ideas: for mages, for others

Songs about Wulven by: TV on the Radio, Babel, Warren Zevon

However much one kind of longs to see the actors in war outdo each other in cunning activity, finesse, and stratagem, still one has to admit that these qualities show themselves but little in history and have rarely been able to emerge from amongst the mass of relations and circumstances.
    The reason for this is obvious enough: Strategy knows no other activity than the arrangement of combats with the measures which relate to it. It doesn't know, like ordinary life, actions that consist of mere words, i.e. expressions, declarations, etc. But these, which are inexpensive, are what the crafty one prefers to deceive with.
    This sober truth is always felt through and through by the actor in war and therefore he ceases to fancy a game of shrewd agility. Necessity presses so hard into immediate action that there is no room left for it. In a word, the pieces on the strategical chessboard lack the mobility that is the element of stratagem and cunning. - CvC, On War

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sisyphos View Post
    The design team just won't accept that vampires are friggin' lame. :/ Maybe some of you guys can help the pfg to convince them that the charming, flying and sucking blood themes they're going for have been done to death and won't impress anyone. I don't think it's too late for that.
    Sisyphos: We've heard enough of this in the PFG forum. Please post something constructive or not at all.