Close

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by GondorianDotCom View Post
    @Starcat: My contract is non-exclusive, so I'd happily be Community Relations guy over at Legacy too. My fee would need to be triple what I'm being paid here though, since you've brewed up a lot of negative publicity that will be hard to overcome.
    You could organize two World Championships and have the winners play a match of... Chess Boxing!

FDL TV!

Channel | Thread | Twitter
    Deck Techs, Game Commentary, Replay Analysis and more!

FDL Tips: The Metagame, Balance and You || Empty Hands
    LL Decklists: Serena || Elementalis

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    @Evilkarma, What have you done?!? This whole debacle is just a reflection of the problems we see in real life society. Shadow Era is a fantastic game. You never would have come across Legacy if you'd remained faithful to SE. I imagine you thought to yourself, 'I'm just looking...it's not cheating if I don't play'. But don't you see? A can of home wrecking sandworms has been opened. You've opened the door for Legacy to come into our home and disrupt our domestic bliss.
    Just as my first love in life was and will remain the only love I ever have, Shadow Era was the first and only tcg I'll play. If you are happy, window shopping will only bring destruction and chaos. For shame, for shame!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    So I just went through the rules of this legacy thing and it has all the core mechanics (and then some) of Yu-Gi-Oh, plus the ranged/melee combat mechanic from Niroshima Hex or the vastly unrecognized miniatures game Creepy Freaks and the Void thing is just a discard cost for certain cards only adding more numbers to remember makes the designer think he can call the game original. If there's more manipulation of void points other than the cast cost for void cards, however, I'd like to point out that it's functionally the same as the cost mechanic for Jutsu from the Naruto CCG, only again, Legacy's is more of a pain in the ass to manage. Lastly, the ability to attack with two toons at once is the old Banding keyword from Magic, which would be an appropriate point of inspiration if his timeline claim is accurate for when this project was first born. Alternately, there's the SNK VS Capcom card game(s), which share many other similarities to Legacy as well, or also likely, this twin attack mechanic showed up as the 'Labyrinth Wall Game' in the back of one of the old Yu-Gi-Oh manga volumes, in which you had to move your monsters around like chess pieces and try to flank high-attack monsters with two or more weaker ones and combine their points while attacking. All possibilities.

Long story short, I find it very odd that the designer of this game is offended when his shitty-ass project is compared to SE, a game that people actually know about. To make matters worse, first of all the owner has the time to come on here and try to defend the game, and second of all fails to understand that most every game rips off of other games to at least some degree. Nobody starts from scratch. You can't make a game without ever playing games before. There's always something giving you inspiration, affecting you to the core.

It's how you combine and alter these mechanics, small tweaks here and there that make the industry as a whole evolve.

So sure, your game will be called a rip-off constantly. But you know what? It is. So is Shadow Era. So is Yu-Gi-Oh. So is WoWTCG. So is Duel Masters. So is everything since Magic. It's just a fact. Don't lash out when people say that. It's a compliment. Designing a new game is all about taking mechanics here and there from other titles that you want to see together, but stripping away what you don't care for out of them.

For example, take Kyle over here with Shadow Era. He's all like, Magic is cool and all, but fuck Islands. I want my stuff resolving, thank you very much. So in SE, we see many mechanics of MtG, WoWTCG, etc., but without any instants. Instead, we have some pre-emptive traps akin to how the old YGO Gameboy Advance games Sacred Cards and Rechef of Destruction worked.

Back in the day, WotC did the same thing with Duel Masters. "Magic is cool and all, but people bitch about lands a lot. What if everything can be used as land? Also, that life total thing. Remember when we made Pokemon and had that whole prize thing instead? People seemed to like that, easier setup time, less maintenance. Only it rewarded the one already winning. Let's make them Shields and award the loser instead." And to this day, Duel Masters is still one of the most successful TCGs in Asian territories.

In essence, if you're being called a rip-off, that's only because you're doing it right. Take what you like, strip out what you don't, and mash it all together. if you can't handle a little name-calling from those who don't know better, then get off the internet.
    MistahBoweh - Paragon of Paragons
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

My Strategy Site: The Boweh
    Latest Article: USED: MistahBoweh VS SamuelJ

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitality View Post
    Your cards are ugly.
    they are supposed to be ugly... they are the generic free ones... there are 50+ templates you can purchase with points. so if you want a better looking one you can buy them.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by dndfreak View Post
    So I just went through the rules of this legacy thing and it has all the core mechanics (and then some) of Yu-Gi-Oh, plus the ranged/melee combat mechanic from Niroshima Hex or the vastly unrecognized miniatures game Creepy Freaks and the Void thing is just a discard cost for certain cards only adding more numbers to remember makes the designer think he can call the game original. If there's more manipulation of void points other than the cast cost for void cards, however, I'd like to point out that it's functionally the same as the cost mechanic for Jutsu from the Naruto CCG, only again, Legacy's is more of a pain in the ass to manage. Lastly, the ability to attack with two toons at once is the old Banding keyword from Magic, which would be an appropriate point of inspiration if his timeline claim is accurate for when this project was first born. Alternately, there's the SNK VS Capcom card game(s), which share many other similarities to Legacy as well, or also likely, this twin attack mechanic showed up as the 'Labyrinth Wall Game' in the back of one of the old Yu-Gi-Oh manga volumes, in which you had to move your monsters around like chess pieces and try to flank high-attack monsters with two or more weaker ones and combine their points while attacking. All possibilities.

Long story short, I find it very odd that the designer of this game is offended when his shitty-ass project is compared to SE, a game that people actually know about. To make matters worse, first of all the owner has the time to come on here and try to defend the game, and second of all fails to understand that most every game rips off of other games to at least some degree. Nobody starts from scratch. You can't make a game without ever playing games before. There's always something giving you inspiration, affecting you to the core.

It's how you combine and alter these mechanics, small tweaks here and there that make the industry as a whole evolve.

So sure, your game will be called a rip-off constantly. But you know what? It is. So is Shadow Era. So is Yu-Gi-Oh. So is WoWTCG. So is Duel Masters. So is everything since Magic. It's just a fact. Don't lash out when people say that. It's a compliment. Designing a new game is all about taking mechanics here and there from other titles that you want to see together, but stripping away what you don't care for out of them.

For example, take Kyle over here with Shadow Era. He's all like, Magic is cool and all, but fuck Islands. I want my stuff resolving, thank you very much. So in SE, we see many mechanics of MtG, WoWTCG, etc., but without any instants. Instead, we have some pre-emptive traps akin to how the old YGO Gameboy Advance games Sacred Cards and Rechef of Destruction worked.

Back in the day, WotC did the same thing with Duel Masters. "Magic is cool and all, but people bitch about lands a lot. What if everything can be used as land? Also, that life total thing. Remember when we made Pokemon and had that whole prize thing instead? People seemed to like that, easier setup time, less maintenance. Only it rewarded the one already winning. Let's make them Shields and award the loser instead." And to this day, Duel Masters is still one of the most successful TCGs in Asian territories.

In essence, if you're being called a rip-off, that's only because you're doing it right. Take what you like, strip out what you don't, and mash it all together. if you can't handle a little name-calling from those who don't know better, then get off the internet.

while i agree with most of your statement, ive never even heard of half of these games... the rules are a Flat concept because you can build upon them... there is Quite a lot of...advanced game play that is not explained in the rules because i want it to be a suprise when you get the cards...

i wont say anymore because i dont want to talk about Legacy. ripping off games is a lot different than Borrowing or using multiple mechanics.. like i said before its not ripping off a car if you make a car and it has 4 wheels.. but its a ripoff if the car is identical and uses the same components. obviously EVERY game is similar to another.. or a collection of others.

and i have the time to come here because im the designer, not the programmer.. my job is to interview artists, voice actors, programmers, and deal with my other companies which puts me at my computer almost 18 hours a day.. so yes i have time to come here..

so in short yes i agree.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Starcat View Post
    they are supposed to be ugly... they are the generic free ones... there are 50+ templates you can purchase with points. so if you want a better looking one you can buy them.
    Making your cards ugly in order to make people by "skins"... Thats a horrible business model. Make the paid stuff unique and different, but don't make the free cards ugly. My god.. There went the last chance of me ever trying this game. At least SE has a decent business model.
    I AM THE FRICKIN' ARCH-MAGE OF THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE!!
    Have a sword in your face!

God damn these facts getting in the way of my succes!!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Wish I had dndfreak's brain

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I didn't get a mail saying I could play so I guess I missed out.
    Grand Watchman of the Ancient Blue Citadel
    Warriors of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn.

Don't just witness the greatness;
    Stride with us.

To join the demonstrably greatest guild in the history of Shadow Era - click here

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I was almost going to whore myself out after leaving Kyle's team, but after some of what Starcat's said here I'm really not sure if it's worth it.
    MistahBoweh - Paragon of Paragons
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

My Strategy Site: The Boweh
    Latest Article: USED: MistahBoweh VS SamuelJ

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    ...advanced game play that is not explained in the rules because i want it to be a suprise when you get the cards...
    So, how are you supposed to use the cards when you get them if you only know half the rules?

i wont say anymore because i dont want to talk about Legacy.
    You don't want to talk about Legacy, and yet you come specifically onto another forum to discuss it?

and i have the time to come here because im the designer, not the programmer.. my job is to interview artists, voice actors, programmers, and deal with my other companies which puts me at my computer almost 18 hours a day.. so yes i have time to come here..
    I think I may have figured out why you are at a computer working on this for 18 hours a day for 15 years and still have a crappy website where half the pages say "Coming soon!"
    Congratulations to Preybird for designing my Avatar!

In Game Handle: Warr Byrd

Contributions to the Game:
    Flavor text for Wild Berserker: The odds are always in my favor
    PFG3: To Be Released Soon™

Tournament Wins: None, I'm Timmy Johnny not Spike!

Shout out to Gondorian, nerull7, Nikola D, plo, Preybird, Super Grover, and Zhou86 for submitting potential avatars!