Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

More resource cards

I just cannot stop thinking about how great the concept of resource cards would be in the game of Shadow Era. Sure it is not my own original idea (as I was inspired by Carte), but it’s such a great concept. I really hope we see something similar to this concept in the future expansions of Shadow Era.

Recap: What’s resource card?

Cards that are specialized for sacrifice. Instead of sacrificing regular card from your hand, if you cast resource type card from your hand during your sacrifice phase, you get special effect. The resource card will be placed face up indicating its casted on the resource pile. Then following turn during your sacrifice phase, it flips and become plain resource. So in the end, you are sacrificing a card but at the same time you gaining some effect. Downside is you are not gaining resource boost the turn that you are casting the resource card i.e. essentially you are spending 1 net resource.

Source: http://worldend.info/end-of-the-worl.../magnetite.jpg

Comment: The reason for additional resource on the turn it is casted is because just as other resource cards, by casting Alchemical stone you are essentially losing one mana during that turn. But if you return a resource card from the pile, you lose another resource i.e. net 2 loss of resource in the turn. So by giving one extra makes only net loss of 1 mana during the turn and later turns.

Source: http://www.all-about-forensic-scienc...forensics.html

Comment: Perhaps this could be a bit overpowered, just as regular gunpowder if you ignite them with fire, they explode. Alternatively, it could be simply add +2 to all fire damage during the turn etc.

Source: http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=veno...t=168#/d3aollz

Comment: Conceptually, only new poison damages should be affected by this ability. Since this card will turn off very next turn, I made it add 2 rather than 1. But if all new damages are persistently considered as cobra’s deadly venom, may be add 1 for all poison damage introduced in this turn and damage from them (every turn) should perhaps remain 2. Though this may be hard to keep track especially when played non-digitally.
    Last edited by houshasen; 03-28-2012 at 02:50 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    +1. I like the concept. The second one is overpowdered(see what I did there) I think. Turns a Nova into 10 damage on t5, it would enable burn deathraces again. Bleh.
    I made pumpkins! Firesnake and Plasma Behemoth.
    I daydream about cards too.

My 1.5 Moonstalker deck.

Nizaris - The Characterless Character
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

You can read about us OR join us!

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I like the effect, but I don't think we need a new card type.

Alchemist Stone (Artifact) - 0cc
    (0): If you did not sacrifice a card this turn, target card from your resource pile is returned to your hand, you gain 2 resources, and Alchemist Stone is destroyed.

That's pretty much what your card does, except you can delay when you turn it into a resource and have the effect.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by GondorianDotCom View Post
    I like the effect, but I don't think we need a new card type.

Alchemist Stone (Artifact) - 0cc
    (0): If you did not sacrifice a card this turn, target card from your resource pile is returned to your hand, you gain 2 resources, and Alchemist Stone is destroyed.

That's pretty much what your card does, except you can delay when you turn it into a resource and have the effect.
    Finally, I got designer team's attention. My karate teacher always said perseverance is the key.

As far as the actual TURN itself yes, the artifact would do exactly same as the Alchemist Stone resource card, but subsequent turn effect would not be the same. (Unless you are now saying the resource gain is permanent rather than just for the turn). But if the gain is permanent, I thought it would be confusing to add and subtract resource in long term without actually adding cards to a pile. That is one of the reason I came up with idea of new card type "Resource". In any event, the overall effect is "not" adding extra resource after retrieving a card from the resource pile, so I have changed your artifact to "ADD 1 instead of 2."

Example:
    Let's say you already have 2 resources.

Alchemist Stone as Artifact
    1. Turn 3 (sacrifice phase): Do nothing.
    2. Turn 3 (Main phase): Use Alchemist Stone. You retrieve a card from the resource pile, pile now has 1 card. You add 1 resources i.e. You have total of 2 resources this turn. Alchemist stone card is destroyed i.e. went somewhere.
    3. Turn 4 (sacrifice phase): You have only 1 card in your resource pile. So do you only have 1 resource now? Or 2? If 2, are we going to keep track of this by using a counter in Physical game?. In any event, if you sacrifice another card, now you have 3 resources but 2 cards in the resource pile.

Alchemist Stone as Resource Card Type
    1. Turn 3 (sacrifice phase): Place alchemist stone face up.
    2. Turn 3 (Main phase): By the effect of alchemist stone, you retrieved a card (resource pile now has 1 card faced down) but you add 1 resource "THIS TURN." So total of 2 resources. I.e. overall, you did indeed pay 1 resource just as every other resource card would.
    3. Turn 4 (sacrifice phase): By the default resource card effect, Alchemist stone that was sitting on top faced up on the resource pile flips to back i.e. resource card pile has 2 now and it is indeed the number of resource you have. You can sacrifice a card this turn to make to 3 resources with 3 cards faced down.
    *Note, you did overall lose one resource card.

So it is subtle but difference. The resource card idea is essentially giving people the feel and strategy that you can tune deck with sacrificing specific card in mind. But these do not give Free win for all benefit over traditional sacrifice. There are times you strategically need to use regular sacrifice (face down) to get immediate resource boost. But other times that you don't want to just sacrifice your cards that you actually included in your deck for purposes, you may able to spare those and instead put resource cards and get little effect.

In any event, I truly appreciate Design team reading at this. This is one of the main reason I believe Shadow Era is such a great TCG over others I have played. And no doubt the game will continue to evolve.
    Last edited by houshasen; 03-29-2012 at 12:01 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    For the record I read nearly all posts. :-)

Commenting on card suggestions though is always tricky because anything I say could give away something, or imply that something is or isn't planned. So that limits pretty much entirely being able to reply to concept posts, other than saying: "nice concepts, thank you" :-)
    Last edited by razcrux; 03-29-2012 at 12:05 AM.
    Raz (Sebastian)
    Creative Game Designer
    --
    (Was once a member of the Wulven Design-Team)

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Much like god, always listening but selectively responding?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I wouldn't call myself such, and I'm anything but hard to reach... ;-)
    Raz (Sebastian)
    Creative Game Designer
    --
    (Was once a member of the Wulven Design-Team)

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupua View Post
    Much like god, always listening but selectively responding?
    Really? I guess I should give him/her more respect. j/k.

@Razcrux
    I was pretty sure you guys are.