Close

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Cool Berserker Boris [1.503]

On Barcafan's way to qualifying 1st seed for the 2012 World Championship he used his version of Berserker Boris to help defeat the previously undefeated Jacqui, wining 1-1 and 3-1 for the round. This was the round winning match.

Of all my creative decks this is by far the the most competitive. The deck pretty much speaks for itself, and is the exact deck I used unchanged in all my rounds of The Gauntlet.

Current deck (40):

1 x Boris Skullcrusher

4 x Lily Rosecult
    2 x Armored Sandworm
    (6 Allies)

3 x Smashing Blow
    2 x Enrage
    3 x Crippling Blow
    4 x Rampage
    2 x Shield Bash
    4 x Blood Frenzy
    4 x Retreat
    (22 Abilities)

4 x Reserve Weapon
    4 x Berserker's Edge
    1 x Nova Infusion
    1 x Violet Thunderstorm
    1 x Mocking Armor
    (11 Items)

After playing a solo Ter Adun deck previously I came up with this version thanks to bug fixes involving Lily + Dual Wield, Violet Thunderstorm, and Berserker's Edge that make it possible.

I'm getting surprising results so far. You need to resist using anti ally cards on weenies. The first card used should be a T3 Blood Frenzy, or T4 Rampage if you could not draw a Blood Frenzy. Occasionally you may need to use a T3 Shield Bash for a pesky Priest of the Light (providing no Blood Frenzy drawn).

This is primarily a solo deck although the allies are included for their support abilities. Sandworm for Mages, however I have been testing Aeon recently instead which may be better. You should usually get this build up to about 10/11 resources (sometimes higher to avoid card block) and there are plenty of spare cards to resource that are included x 4 only to get as early as possible (Blood Frenzy, Rampage, Berserker's Edge, Reserve Weapon, Lily). You can usually resource one Reserve Weapon and one Lily early if needed. The deck is very versatile and can be reactive without T3 Blood Frenzy, and controlling with.

The theme of this deck is to revive Reserve Weapon with Lily and maintain a +2 Berserker's Edge from mid through to late game. It's rare someone has enough item destruction to prevent this and still do any damage. With Rampage in play you will suffer minimal HP loss as allies sacrifice themselves against your double edged blade.

By the time you need to start dropping Lily you can already have board control. You will find great synergy with Shield bash Vs Shadow when going first or second so do not resource this card lightly, you usually have more copies of Reserve Weapon, and Lily than you need for the match.

eg:
    T5 Shadow summons a Plasma Behemoth
    T5 you summon Berserker's Edge and hit hero (now at 2 attack)
    T6 PB casts firebolt (usually doesn't attack fearing a killing blow from next strike when BE at 3 attack)
    T6 you summon Shield Bash and finish of PB with BE, healing half of firebolt damage thanks to Rampage.

You can save Retreat for mid-late game for the next PB while getting your BE up to 4 attack, then summoning your first Reserve Weapon to one-shot it when re-summoned. They can also be used to retreat Lily's for more items in your graveyard.

Often you will want to keep your Reserve Weapon on the field after using the last of Berserker's Edge durability (unless you can immediately return with Lily) even when opponent has allies on the board with 2HP or less, as weapon destruction can bury the Reserve Weapon underneath Berserker's Edge now out of Lily's reach. Once you get your first copy of Berserker's Edge you can usually resource the rest unless you are still waiting for Blood Frenzy in which case you may need to sit on 5 resources until you do.

Smashing Blow is primarily for armour (and in some cases only armour that would prevent BE attack gain) as for the most part they will only have your hero with BE to hit with a weapon and even Gwen and Amber will take more damage from you than they can dish out, by a long way once you get armour out. These can often all be resourced with the right draw or match-up.

Armour is very important in certain match ups. Only one of each suitable is used and Lily can usually bring them back if needed. Nova Infusion is not primarily here to remove Poison Gas or Engulfing Flames. It has 3 armour with 5 durability. If it shielded maximum damage you would have to equip it for 16 turns for it to be more costly than beneficial. Best used against Hunters, Rogues, Warriors, Darcklaw, and Gravebone, but can be suitable any match. Against Mage it has a better ability of removing freeze if you cannot draw a Smashing Blow after they summon Snow Sapphire, and can be removed by drawing another piece of armour later.

Violet Thunderstorm is an obvious choice and combo's very well with this deck now the bug is fixed in which your hero would retaliate wasting durability when an attacking ally has only 1HP. Quite often an ally will remain on 1HP after a defensive strike from Berserker's Edge (leaning more towards human match-up synergy), and after summoning this armour you no longer have to waste weapon durability to finish them off. Also heavily punishes solo/weapon class Heroes.

Mid to late game Mocking Armor is a finishing blow. Future Lily summons are protected, and by the time you use it you will usually have board control and enough resources to combo Lily + Mocking Armor in the same turn if it goes down and you need it back. Just don't rely on it. It is a comeback card, not a required card for victory. The 4 armour can come in handy Vs Serena and Gwen especially when they have Night Prowler.

The perfect draw is usually the same:

T3 Blood Frenzy
    T4 Rampage
    T5 Berserker's Edge
    T6 Reserve Weapon
    T7 Lily (returning Reserve Weapon) + Cripling Blow/Retreat/Smashing Blow/Shield Bash (as/if needed)
    T8 Armour + support or Lily + Enrage

Here is where the deathly hallows combo begins:
    T9 Elder Wand: Reserve Weapon + Lily.
    T10 Invisible Cloak: Mocking Armour + Lily.
    T11 Life Stone: Reserve Weapon + Lily + Retreat.

Feel free to post any questions or feedback from using this deck.

The Videos in this deck's play list are using a slightly modified version of the deck.

Vs Banebow:

Vs Gwenneth:

Vs Zaladar in my Round 8 of 2012 World Championship Qualifiers:

Last edited by Keaven; 06-30-2012 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Adding videos
    Shallow Era Channel and Blog
    Enhancing The Community, etc.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    very interesting. what's your ign? i want to see some games

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stevevai1983 View Post
    very interesting. what's your ign? i want to see some games
    IGN: Borlaug. I've only played a few matches in the history with this deck as I have been testing and refining my Famine deck. Due to match drop outs my rank sat around 280 when I mastered this deck and has dropped a fair bit since I switched it out.

** Can't update OP because only 1 video is now allowed so here is V3.173 build **

This is the version I have been testing lately which is working quite well and got me ranking over 300 this season start.

Current build (40):

1 x Boris Skullcrusher

3 x Lily Rosecult
    3 x Braxnorian Veteran
    (6 Allies)

2 x Smashing Blow
    2 x Crippling Blow
    4 x Blood Frenzy
    3 x Retreat
    2 x Lythe Coating
    1 x Nowhere To Hide
    1 x Enrage
    4 x Rampage
    3 x Enslave The Beast
    (22 Abilities)

4 x Reserve Weapon
    4 x Berserker's Edge
    3 x Rothem's Visage
    (11 Items)
    Last edited by Keaven; 07-06-2017 at 02:40 AM. Reason: 3.173 Update

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I'm pretty sure you I played you today with you running this. I run a Majiya deck.
    This is my signature. Enjoy it.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Were you the Maj that finished me off with a Death Mage Thaddeus and Blood Frenzy attrition with 4 HP remaining, or the one I pwned straight after?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    This deck looks really cool, so far removed from a standard Boris build

I must try this on my alt. Seems like a long game deck though.

Really long.
    Extra Tough Claws - Proud Member of ETC

Articles | Decklist | Fan Fiction

Shadow Era Art Thread | PB @ DeviantArt

PFG Member | I've been interviewed!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Preybird View Post
    This deck looks really cool, so far removed from a standard Boris build

I must try this on my alt. Seems like a long game deck though.

Really long.
    Not as long as you would think.

Consider Berserker's Edge starting at 3 attack and being buffed by defensively hitting opponent allies summoned.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Had a good streak against a variety of Heroes today with this deck and no drop-outs. My ratings back up to 270 and some of the matches are decent if anyone wants to see it in action.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Nice! This is a Beast.. Finally found someone who share the same opinion with me. I get so excited!
    Shadow Era, ETC

Evolve Through Cooperation

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwei View Post
    Nice! This is a Beast.. Finally found someone who share the same opinion with me. I get so excited!
    For sure. The 1.5 card releases and bug fixes really opened the door for a variety of new styles.