Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GwenClaw

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

GwenClaw

This is a near-allyless Gwen deck and it can stall, thus the name. It doesn’t have a chance against the real thing though, in a game where both heroes played ideally. It doesn’t have good win/loss ratio, although it might be that it took me long enough to figure out how to play her.

Gwenneth Truesight

Allies (0)
    2x Lily Rosecult (2x Master Smith)
    3x Tainted Oracle

Abilities (33)
    4x Poison Arrow
    3x Flaming Arrow
    4x Rapid Fire
    4x Into The Forest
    3x Net Trap
    3x Retreat!
    4x Bad Santa
    3x Ley Line Nexus

Weapons (8)
    4x Soul Seeker
    4x Guardian’s Oath

Total of 42.

I like this deck. It’s fun to play with, may require some getting used to though.

Optimal play
    t1: sack
    t2: sack, cast a trap or arrow
    t3: sack, cast a trap or arrow
    t4: sack, cast a trap or arrow or cast ITF if you want to prevent some damage
    t5: sack, cast Rapid Fire
    t6: you may sack, cast Soul Seeker
    t7: you may sack, cast Lily to retrieve SS from graveyard if needed or cast TO to get some draw

Explanation:

- Notice the “Allies (0)” in deck list. These allies are utility cards for this deck. 2 Lily’s to retrieve ideally your weapons from graveyard. You have 8 weapons, so I decided 2 was enough. TO is for draw only. If the enemy didn’t kill it, suicide it into an ally or weapon which has 2+ attack and draw your cards.

- I have tried Zoe in this deck starting from very early version of this deck and only used her ability once and that wasn’t needed. Gwen’s new ability makes your weapons ultra durable already.

- Poison Arrow is a great 2 cost card. The one turn disable is invaluable and it’s an “ability”. More on this below**.

- Flaming Arrow is not that great (3 cost) but is useful taking down fatties late or burning Birgitte in an instant. It is also an ability. You need many arrows/traps early game. Another reason why it is here.

- You’ll want Rapid Fire in your hand as soon as possible to wreak havoc on the battlefield while healing, so included 4.

- ITF is self explanatory.

- Net Trap costs 2 and and disables next cast ally for ”3” turns. Your opponents will think of the worst case scenario. They’ll cast their weenies mistaking it for a Death Trap. No matter. You’ll leech the life out of those disabled allies later on with SS. Net Trap is an item.

**PA and FA are abilities meaning Lily won’t be bringing them back from the graveyard. That leaves only the weapons and Net Trap. Ideally I would leave out Net Traps too, to guarantee for Lily to retrieve weapons only from graveyard but only arrows weren’t enough for opponent allies. No Death Trap because NT>>>>>>>>>>>>DT for reasons mentioned above.

- Retreat! is great for many reasons, should be self-explanatory.

- Draw cards are Bad Santa, Tainted Oracle and Ley Line Nexus. LLN doesn’t need further explanation.

- Soul Seeker is self-explanatory. Guardian’s Oath is there to have 8 weapons in this deck and it is the second best weapon for Gwen in my opinion. Defender and +1 when defending strikes fear into hearts of opposing hero and allies alike.

Y U NO include card X in this deck ?:

Aimed Shot: It is great when you use it on an already buffed weapon (SS 5 damage, GO 4 damage, when defending 5 damage) but in LLN Era not the best choice to have in this deck. It doesn’t worth to spend 2 resources and 2 card spaces in this deck.

Death Trap: Because it is an item** and costs 3 whereas NT costs 2 only.

My plan wasn’t to make an allyless Gwen but it came out that way while considering which cards worked good with Gwen. You can play this to learn about hunter play style if you haven’t before. It took me a while... actually until my latest games with it, I wasn’t feeling good about this deck. Kudos to who reached to the end. I knew this was going to be long.

All types of feedback are welcome

P.S. This is my first Gwen deck.
    Last edited by ahmet476; 06-18-2012 at 09:28 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Hey Ahmet,

I've been messing with something awefully similar to what you are doing here. But right now I currently have a few armors and another type of ally in there. It's a really fun deck strat to play for sure.

What do you feel is its greatest weakness atm? Does the arrows/traps/retreats get you past the rush?
    Acolytes of A1.
    Oderint Dum Metuant.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Nice deck. I've played some games with allyless Gwen back in 1.29, now when LLN is available to everyone and Gwen ate the nerf stick, it's not that compelling.
    There are few things however, that I don't agree with.
    Difference between net trap and death trap is obvious for your opponent, since these cards cost different amount of resources. But you probably made good choice because sometimes disabling is better than actually killing (in case of Gravebone for example).
    Aimed Shot is useful for taking out 5 health fatties with SS.
    Also, what do you think about SS + Crimson Vest combo for imba healz?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Unruler View Post
    Love that combo.
    Acolytes of A1.
    Oderint Dum Metuant.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordh View Post
    Hey Ahmet,

I've been messing with something awefully similar to what you are doing here. But right now I currently have a few armors and another type of ally in there. It's a really fun deck strat to play for sure.

What do you feel is its greatest weakness atm? Does the arrows/traps/retreats get you past the rush?
    I think the greatest downside to this deck is LLN because you solely rely on your weapons both for damaging the opponent hero and healing with it if possible.

Early versions of this deck had Night Prowler and Death Trap. I made this deck when 1.3 was on test. It was so frustrating. I think everyone was packing 4 LLN in their decks then. I couldn't play my armor in a single game because every time my weapon was destroyed after the turn I used it. So, I removed NP in the end focused on only weapons. Right now though I think armors are ok in Gwen decks.

I removed DT, so that Lily had more chances to bring back weapons.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Unruler View Post
    Nice deck. I've played some games with allyless Gwen back in 1.29, now when LLN is available to everyone and Gwen ate the nerf stick, it's not that compelling.
    There are few things however, that I don't agree with.
    Difference between net trap and death trap is obvious for your opponent, since these cards cost different amount of resources. But you probably made good choice because sometimes disabling is better than actually killing (in case of Gravebone for example).
    Aimed Shot is useful for taking out 5 health fatties with SS.
    I put NT because I can heal with those allies later, using SS, also CV if you have it. I agree about GB and and SS+CV is great indeed when you pull it off.

I agree with AS too but couldn't find place for it in this deck. Also LLN craziness back then didn't help.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    The main problem I've been having is item destruction plus early board control a la Lance and Amber. While having ways of getting the weapon back is great, or having plenty of them, it will also take quite a few cc's and turns. Can be very difficult to recover. However, if you can keep weapons in play for a couple of turns early on that window can let you set up well, get another item or ally out, draw some cards etc. If you can get one turn with RF+SS+CV+hero ability you're in pretty good shape.
    Acolytes of A1.
    Oderint Dum Metuant.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Yes, item destruction as I pointed out previously.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Personally I think Into the Forest should apply to the dang weapon too. It's not like Gwen climbs a tree and leaves her bow and armor down below... >.<
    Acolytes of A1.
    Oderint Dum Metuant.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I use ITF when enemy have more than 2 allies after his turn 3 to prevent some early damage but mostly late game when I need some breathing space to recharge my SE again and/or waiting to draw a weapon.