Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

All Hunters all the time - Card Draw.

Hello All,

I've been thinking for while now to start a periodic article here to discuss what works with hunters and what doesn't, crowdsourcing as it were.

Since the update, I've played almost exclusivly Victor and Gwyn. I got to ~200 and am hovering there as I am starting to monkey with some different aspects of my deck builds. I still find that good drawing is tough with these four heros....

So here it goes:

Wrath of the Forest - Good card...Multitasker, however very difficult to play with and keep around at the right times. SB, FP, Shriek, Acid Jet, and even Shrine of Negetia/Misplaced can rob you of the main reason to play this armor...I cant count the number of times my early allies get offed the turn before I play it or the armor get's blown away right before my allies do.... Bummer!

Tainted Oracle/Wulven tracker - Allies that both strike a blow, and get you cards at the same time...Both synergize very well with WOTF too. Both draw disabling cards, which is okay as that is one less card available for your larger allies....

Surprise attack - works well at lower rankings but later on is a real pain to use...Helps with table advantage too. Could synergized very well with Tracker but that combo is very fragile indeed.

And last but not least.
    Battle Plans - the renamed carefull planning is something I've been playing around with lately and feel it merits further study.... I like being able to see the next card on top...as you can plan for next turn... Also, the ability spend 1 cc to send top card to bottom is risky but cheap and behaves like a psudo Tome of Knowledge...

Well that's all I have for now. Hope I didn't bore you all to tears, but I am interested to see the other ways out there to deal with things. I know I skipped a few things like bazaar and Bad Santa, but was trying to stick to unilateral card draw for now.

Have a great weekend everybody!
    Last edited by Ballyworld; 03-27-2012 at 09:06 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    You forgot epic WotF + SLamb combo that been discussed before in other thread.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    @sabre201118, thanks for reminding me why i never used Hubter heroes,
    "Rastas don't believe in violence... Rastas don't believe... Rastas know." -Bob Marley-

Winner of the Multi-Post Streak Challenge
    *’”⁷ᵔᵕᵔ∞*°゜゚⁰ᵒ☉●•⋆.ᵢᵢᵢ₇.。・°'¨⋋ⓚⓔⓝⓣⓤⓔⓠⓤⓘ⋌¨'°・。.₇₇₇.⋆•●☉ᵒ⁰゜゚°*∞ᵔᵕᵔ⁷‘“*
    ⊰☠ ℑcℯ ℰℒℱ ☠⊱

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuequi View Post
    @sabre201118, thanks for reminding me why i never used Hubter heroes,
    Yeah.

All Hunter draw power relies on the Hunter having board control, which is very hard to do as is. Especially when going 2nd.

Banebow can do it, Baduruu can do it(his ability is pretty sick for getting board back) but even those two have an extremely hard time doing it when going 2nd.

By all Hunter draw power I mean Surprise Attacks and Wrath of the Forest but that does apply to both Sacrificial Lamb and Tainted Oracle as well. To a smaller degree also Bad Santa and Bazaar, but those cost little enough for it to matter that much.

I love playing Banebow and I have tried to make it work consistently. I haven't been able to. Sometimes I just don't draw my draw and sometimes I play against Rogue/Warrior with WotF as my main draw source. Going 2nd hurts a lot even when BB has the best ability to get board control back with.
    Last edited by Airact; 03-24-2012 at 09:26 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I haven't done much here in Season 4 yet, but I am loving Battle Plans. I haven't hit a point where not having an extra card draw is limiting yet. I feel like if you've got a solid deck, just being able to nix the next card coming up is pretty golden. I should note that I'm using Victor at the moment, so his Hero ability + Lily Rosecult + Zoe Silversmith work wonders as far as keeping useful cards in your hand/in play.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    you all havent even considered campfire stories in conjunction with battle plans yet..
    lil dark riding hood Queen of A1 Evolution in Theory
    Alliance One recruitment thread
    RED
    my EPIC videos
    Evolution in Theory
    SE Card Price Guide - My Deck Building Guide
    all my decks together
    owner of Earthen Protector flavor text
    Caitlyn™: collecting rage quits since 2011

Evolution in Theory

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Caitlyn0 View Post
    you all havent even considered campfire stories in conjunction with battle plans yet..
    W/my baduruu resource starvation I'd often use here be monsters or cobraskin wraps in conjunction. I think campfire stories is interesting

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Glad to see some feedback on this, thanks to all.

@Unruler: I saw that too and while it is intriguing for Baldaruu, Banebow could use the extra help the ally provides for board control. Plus, its a three card combo too, armor, ally, and lamb... If you got it in the first couple of turns it could be self-perpetuating but would be hard to put together in the Mid-game.

@steve. I do like tainted oracle, and wulven tracker seems to be similar, but TO has the problem of being disabled but not killed and tracker is easy to get rid of, so you can't make them your only draw...

@caitlyn/glen Those ideas may be useful too. Mid to late game when you have the extra resources to cast the extra card....

I think my main point to all of this was to illustrate my feeling that hunters almost have to have two unilateral draw mechs to keep up. All of the ones discussed are good but fragile. One could always go with Bazaar and Santa, but that is a game of chicken too.

Airact is right, most of the draw mechs for Hunters involved having Board control, but to draw with WOTF you have to sacrifice some of that. The card you get had better be worth it. This is also where battle plans can help too...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    For me, I dont use a ton of allies with Gwen usually. Bad Santa remains the only choice, for cheapness, effectiveness and also instant-ness

Ley Line gives a nice bonus and lily is invaluable but going ally light or even solo leaves little room manoeuvre, all in my humble opinion
    [CENTER]Shadow Era ETC.
    Exert Total Control