Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Ter Adun ripping it up!

So, after the Banebow thread, it should be apparent to frequenters that I'm a big fan of trying to come up with decks that are very competitive and effective, but that aren't cliche. Sometimes that can be hard. I seem to be onto something with the following Ter Adun deck I built yesterday. I'm @ a 320 rating, and have won 7-0 with this deck thusfar.

Ter Adun
    4x Infernal Gargoyle
    4x Plasma Behemoth
    4x Chimera
    2x Belladonna
    4x Valiant Defender
    2x War Banner
    2x Enrage
    4x Crippling Blow
    3x Rampage
    3x Blood Frenzy
    4x Rain Delay
    4x Bad Santa

(You could probably cut the Belladonnas, but meh, the deck is working, so I don't)

Valiant Defender = key to this deck's success. Sounds ridiculous, but I find that with Chimera and Plasma Behemoth, the biggest problem I find is that with Eladwen (and other mage burn) most can't burn them up in one turn, but between burn and attacking, you'll seldom keep your Behemoth on the board long enough to use him. The nice thing about Valiant Defender is that it lasts for TWO of your opponent's turns. Meaning, you can drop it on turn four for two resources, and on turn five drop your Behemoth and be relatively worry-free about his survivability.

Also, once you've got some ally dominance on the board (and this deck will do it because of the hard-to-kill allies it packs), a Valiant Defender does a VERY nice job at keeping your brutes alive long enough for you to really pound your opp into dust.

OH, and there is the small matter of Ter Adun's hero ability, which absolutely shreds Eladwen, Gravebone, and Darkclaw, because they all rely on one or two key items being in play for them to secure late-game dominance. Portal? Heh, no, only for one turn, thank you. Research? Heh, maybe you'll get to draw one card from it, and then gone! Oh, you THOUGHT you had Big Teeth - nope, gone! You can even destroy a Rain Delay with Ter Adun's ability.

Build this deck and try it out. The only thing I can say to be careful with is the timing of what you play and when you play it. It's a more complicated deck to play than it looks, but if you get the card timings down properly... well, you'll go 7-0 with it lol =)

MY EGO GROWS!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Ter Adun works bad,if his ability only costs 3 instead of 4,I will try him.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I've tried making Ter Adun work, Boris just seems better because of the Human allies.
    You've got similar themes to my Boris deck:
    http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....kullcrusher-v2

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I've used a similar Ter Adun deck. The nice thing about it is that opponents don't expect it to be very good at all since it takes about 5 turns to really take control. So by the time you have a solid grasp on the game its past the no xp and you can get a lot of cheap wins. I like to experiment with different decks and this is definitely one that is fun to play with.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadun View Post
    I've tried making Ter Adun work, Boris just seems better because of the Human allies.
    You've got similar themes to my Boris deck:
    http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....kullcrusher-v2
    Yeah, I like your overall deck design; it is very similar to mine. I've not built a Boris deck, but played against many of them thusfar. I just worry more about killing a Portal or Research (or as I said above, a totally unaware Rain Delay) than I do killing off a gargoyle or Aldon. My brutish allies deal plenty of creature control by themselves. However, what Boris (and pretty much any other deck other than a priest deck) can NOT deal with are the permanents that decks like Eladwen and Darkclaw rely on to win.

Darkclaw without teeth is pretty weak. Eladwen without Portal and/or Research is very luck-of-the-draw dependent and not otherwise consistent. And the drawback of Ter Adun's ability costing 4 isn't all that serious, because against any given opponent you're probably only going to need the ability twice in a given match. And, anything you're going to destroy with it probably has a cost 4 anyway, with the exception of their Bazaar or Research. And let's face it, you'll benefit from Bazaar as much as they will until you blow it up, at which point you're technically gonna have card advantage from it because you get first draw from it, AND he's going to have used one of his cards to give it to you. And an early Research who cares about? Even if it's a turn two drop he's only gonna get to use it once or twice at the most and he'll be using up his turn 3 and 4 resources to do it.

I'm telling you. Build this deck, tweak it as you see fit, and sit back and be amazed at how the current dominant decks crumble when you can consistently destroy their keystone advantage cards. I'm sure that against really really good players the current archetypes will still give you a run for your money, but I think this is a 400s quality archetype, moreso than any other Warrior hero deck.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

i've tried something similar before...but...

I had tried something similar in the past... but I didn't use 4 rain delays, and 4 bad santas... (do you really need that many?)

I had only 1 rain delay, 1 bad santa. and then adding 2 blood lusts and 2-4 more allies (I've tried all of keldor, brutalis, bad-wolf and deathbone... but none are too spectacular or helpful. it really depended on the situation. I've had the best results with keldor and bad-wolf. Yes, I know they get killed with 1 fireball or 1 icing blast from elwaden, but near end game, I can put out 2 of these 3-resource creatures in 1 turn. so it helps in a way. it also attracts fireballs, so there'll be less fireballs in play later in end-game).

I've had mixed results with my deck though. I've had a lot of difficulties controlling the board.

would you say the 4 rain-delays also part of the key to your success?
    I'm thinking the 4 defenders would have been sufficient... or are you saying to put up a rain-delay in play, then, on your next turn, destroy it using your own Ter-Adun, there-by causing rain-delay to stop on your turn (instead of during your opponents' turn), so you can attack immediately?
    If so... that's pretty ingenious... although quite costly to eliminate the negative effects of rain-delay (that being it is lifted on your opponent's turn). must be really desperate to use up 4 shadow-points for that.

anyhow, I've had more consistent results using the Boris deck... simply b/c i can do much more with aeon (aka meat shield ... until a real shield is made available).

but i'll give Ter-Adun another try...

note: once weapons and armor are available, however, I'm pretty sure your deck will be much more popular as Ter-Adun will (or... should...) be able to destroy opponent equipment.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Ter Adun is fun to play indeed, especially against poor mage decks who can't replace their portals fast because the deck is too big. The problem is that it lacks creature control (very fragile if you don't get the upper hand quickly), it is weak against resource destruction (no way to mitigate damage, no reset button like an elem or priest deck). And its biggest weakness is the lack of decent protectors. Valiant defender is okayish but far from exciting. Once we have access to weapons and shield, I will probably dust off my Ter Adun deck.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Yeah, it has some shortcomings right now in certain situations, as some of you have described above. However, in the 10-0 history I now have with this deck, I haven't yet actually run into any of those hypothetical situations. All in all, it's a pretty solid deck, and with the release of new cards, I'm sure it will start to see more play.

Ter Adun CAN destroy weapons, because I've used it against Darkclaw and Big Teeth.

The Rain Delays, while seemingly excessive, are to keep me from taking too much damage early on by a swarm of 2 and 3 drop allies, until I can get some of my own creature kill into play (ie Plasma Behemoth) And, late game, when it's down to who can blast off the killing blow faster, when I'm at a disadvantage, the Rain Delay keeps me alive one more round (not to mention, it's nice, with 4 Plasma Behemoths in the deck, to Rain Delay, and still be able to blast either them or their allies without fearing that they can reciprocate. The Plasma Behemoth is more key to the success of this deck than might be immediately apparent, and Valiant Defender AND Rain Delay ensure that he stays alive long enough to do what he needs to do to get a victory. With a War Banner in place, he shells out 8 damage per turn. That's pretty huge, so I want to keep him alive anyway I can.

As far as self-destructing Rain Delay, I've not done THAT specifically, although I have destroyed an enemy's Rain Delay to attack. However, I HAVE destroyed my own Valiant Defender because it expires at the end of my turn, and I needed to cast another one. But, while one is in play, you can't cast another one. So it was either let it die at the end of turn and thereby let him attack my allies, OR destroy it with Ter Adun and cast the one I had in my hand. That made a big difference. I wouldn't call it a "consistent" strategy; but, it's nice to be able to pull out maneuvers like that when you need to.

I look forward to playing some higher quality players with it that really give it a run for the money, such as a very efficient and Eladwen deck, manned by a skillful player.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Well, I just took my first loss a little bit ago with this deck to an Eladwen player, so I got my wish. Solid creature swarm that I couldn't keep up with or keep Behemoths out long enough to burn up his army. That puts this deck @ 13-1 now.

One thing I've learned consistently with this deck, is that though it can kill you with a number of allies, by and large this deck is dependent on Plasma Behemoth to be crushing. I've now gotten to where I will not sacrifice a Plasma Behemoth, even on turn one, and with 4 in the deck. It's that important to get a protected PB on the board and if you have a War Banner in play, you're gonna mow down for a round or two, at least. Mid-game Rampage makes this deck able to take a lot of early bleeding from Jasmine and Blake, only to get the board on Behemoth lockdown around turn 7-9.

I'm telling you, the hardest thing I've found about this deck is deciding what to sacrifice every turn. Sometimes it's a no-brainer, but most of the time, there's a lot of hard thinking and calculating that I have to do to pick my sacrifice, even in the first few rounds. [edit] You really have to map out your turns in advance with this deck for it to really dominate. But, if your draws are decent, and you plan your moves very well, it takes a very firm hold over the opp.[/edit]
    Last edited by BlanketEffect; 03-13-2011 at 04:34 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Ter Adun is among my favorite Shadow Hero, seeing as how the other Shadow/Warrior is near-useless. I'd buy him if I weren't saving up for v1.24 cards.

Is there any reason you're using 4 Bad Santas and only 3 Blood Rampage? Doesn't make sense to me.

Rampage seems like a useless card, imo. I wouldn't use it. And as others have said, 4 Rain Delays seems excessive considering your hero doesn't kill allies and can't take much advantage from the stall.

Also, Valiant Defender expires at the end of your opponent's turn, no?